12 String electric

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by MadMaxie75, Jun 18, 2019.

1. MadMaxie75

MadMaxie75 TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Hi,
    I'm after a good 12 sting electric. I really love the sound and feel of the Reverend Airwave 12. But I've just seen a used Rickenbacker 660/12 come up for sale at a reasonable price - slightly more than a new Airwave 12. Part of me thinks it would be a better 'investment' to buy the Ricky, I can always move it on for roughly what I'll pay for it if things don't work out. However, I haven't had a chance to play one and on-line videos (yes that great bastion of inaccurate audio and confusion) make it sound way thinner then the Reverend, which I'm not keen on.

Anyone out there played both? Have any advise for me please?

thanks

Max

2. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

unless you are buying an old 360-12, 12 strings are never a good 'investment'...

get the rev, it will stay in tune better and be more fun to play.

nojazzhere and StrangerNY like this.
  3. Jerry_Mountains

Jerry_Mountains Tele-Meister

I'd get the 660/12, it will hold a better resale value (if you are interested in that) that particular model have figured maple, toasters and very important more real state in the fretboard area ;)

The Reverend looks like the Rick copy that Rondo Music sells

scelestus and Flakey like this.
  4. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm a Rickenbacker fan. I'd go with it. Experiment with strings and be careful that the R tailpiece stays together. There are after market stainless steel ones that don't have the R (trademark issue). I put one on my 360-12 after the R tailpiece broke. They are about half the price of an R replacement if you can get one.

5. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Holic

Hi.

How about the Danelectro 12?

Cool looking, sounded great recently on That Pedal Show & cheap as chips.

Just a thought / something else to consider.

Pax/
    Dean

scelestus, Geo, AAT65 and 3 others like this.
  6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

A pathfinder 15R 073.JPG
    All I'm gonna say.....:)

brookdalebill, Geo and spellcaster like this.
  7. Marquee Moon

Marquee Moon Tele-Meister

or he could just try nashville tuning.

8. MadMaxie75

MadMaxie75 TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Jerry_Mountains likes this.
  9. Tele295

Tele295 Poster Extraordinaire

Grab the Ric if you can. Many instruments play better, but nothing else sounds like a Ric. Affordable examples don’t come up that often

Slip Kid and rze99 like this.
  10. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Meister

Ric... I'll never part with mine.

It's an acquired taste, so be patient. And make sure its strung "Ric Reversed."

11. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

I have one of the Dano 12s and it plays great and sounds terrific -- the lipstick pickups really work in this thing. Tuning stability is a bit of an issue -- tends to drift out under that stage lights -- don't know if this is a Dano issue or common to all electric 12s. But if I put all the songs I want to use it on in the first half of the set, good to go!

12. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Holic

I had one of the first re-issue Dano 12 strings.

The neck wasn't stable and I would constantly have to adjust the truss-rod.

dswo likes this.
  13. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Meister

My sister in-law wanted a 12 string Rick but couldn’t drop $2k for just a few tunes. She picked up the Ibanez artcore 12-string and swapped the pups with a couple GHS Memphis. It’s not a Rick, but it’s crazy close for $400.

14. bluzkat

bluzkat Tele-Holic

I have one of these and love it...

upload_2019-6-20_9-7-57.jpeg

15. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

I have a Rick 660 and I think worth every cent. IMO also get a Jangle Box compressor and you'll be set. Although, I think the second best 12 string I've played and it's very affordable is the Italia Rimini with the Wilkinson mini's:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    Chuckster likes this.
  16. rocking rooster

rocking rooster Tele-Meister

In my experience a 660/12 plays perfectly in tune, with a 12 saddle bridge you can get your intonation spot on and the wider neck is a real bonus. In what way is other one more fun to play?

660/12's don't have the R tailpiece, they come with a vintage style trapeze. I think you are confusing it with the 620/12 (same body shape).

OP. If you can afford the Ricky then it's a no brainer. It's a top quality instrument and will always be recognised as such. To be honest I've never heard of a Reverend Airwave 12 although I see that they do sell them this side of the water. I don't think I've ever seen anyone playing one. GET THE RICKY!

17. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Right you are. I get the models mixed up.

18. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Wait a few weeks and grab the MIM Fender Electric XII reissue when it comes out — meant to be out in July this year.

Fearnot likes this.
  19. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

If you can try some out, consider the Danelectros, I've played some sweet used ones that were priced around $400. The lipstick pickups are perfect for 12-string, imo.

On the other hand, after shopping for a 12-string, I ended up buying and assembling a RAS 12-string tele-style kit ($75 eBay auction win), and the traditional tele pickup arrangement is also great for electric twelve (especially bridge p/u). The kit turned into a fantastic guitar, but if something happened to it, I'd just look for a good used Danelectro.

20. Vermoulian

Vermoulian Tele-Meister

Some things to know about the Rick: if you're going to get a Rick 12-string, unless you've got really little fingers, the 660/12 is definitely the one to get. It has a significantly wider neck than the 330/12, 360/12, or 620/12. Also, the old-style trapeze tailpiece is way, way easier to change strings on. Some 660/12s have a fairly chunky neck, and some have a really thin D neck profile, so caveat emptor if you're ordering one you haven't played. The 660/12 has reissue vintage "toaster" pickups, which are low output and thinner than the pickups on most of their guitars. Some people think they are the great amazing classic Rick sound, and reasonable minds can differ. But, if you think it sounds thin in videos, that's (arguably) its thing.

If you get a used 660/12, it will probably hold its value. With a new one, like anything, you may take a bath if you sell it, and at the price of a new 660/12, that's a big bath. On the other hand, while I can't comment on the resale value of that Reverend (I am not familiar with that model), with the Rickenbacker, there seems to be a pretty steady demand for them.

I had a 660/12 for a while, but mine had one of the thin D necks, and I never got comfortable with it, and I took the aforementioned big bath on it. I ended up replacing it with one of these:

[​IMG]

That's an Agile AL-2500 12 string. It's quite a different guitar from the Rick, not least due to the Gibson-esque humbuckers instead of the Rick toasters, but with judicious amp settings it can do most of what you'd want an electric 12-string to do, at a small fraction of the price of even a used Rick. Now, this particular guitar is not available right now, although various models and configurations go in and out of stock at Rondo periodically. As I type this right now, they do have this electric 12-string in stock, which actually looks somewhat like a Rickenbacker:

[​IMG]

If I were doing it all over I think I would probably just go with a 12-string Strat like @bluzkat posted above.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.