12 string bridge source

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by mefgames, Aug 10, 2018.

1. mefgames

mefgames Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Does anyone here have a source for a vintage 12 string bridge ? I'm thinking about building one and would like it to be like the offset 65,66's.

2. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's

When you say vintage do you mean used from back in the day? Heres what's cheap now.
    I'm leaning towards the Gotoh
    I've been looking for a 12bridge, too and so far for my budget build, it looks like this;

Tune o magic about 10$ on flea bay

s-l225-4.jpg

franken tone about 20$ on flea bay
    s-l225-6.jpg

Danelectro about 45$ on flea bay

s-l225-2.jpg

Gotoh about 30$
    s-l225-3.jpg

The budget winner SG style for 9$

s-l225-7.jpg
    But no intonation

Doubt this all helps that much but it helped me organize my own thoughts.

3. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

I have the Gotoh style on my 12 partscaster.

Half go string through, the other half are top loaded.

All intonatable.

image.jpeg

Barncaster and 2blue2 like this.
  4. ModerneGuy

ModerneGuy Tele-Holic

Surely, that's just a tailpiece. From what I remember SG (and Firebird) 12s just used a tune-o-matic with this for the tailpiece. That would be a strange bridge.

5. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

be careful with the one that 2blue2 posted above as "franken tone, about $20 on flea bay". It looks like it may be the same as came with my inexpensive 12-string kit guitar.

If it is, here is the problem: the bridge is made to look very much like the Gotoh (which is a very nice bridge). But it appears to have been created by someone who did not understand the function of the parts on the original Gotoh. So there are no rollers, just castings that look like rollers. The high-string saddles are not adjustable in the forward direction that is needed for proper intonation. And the same high-string saddles are too short to bring the strings to the proper height, meaning that the height-adjustment screws for each string pair must be set at opposite ends of thread travel - one all the way in, one all the way out - to get to anything like playable. Each saddle ends up being tipped like crazy.

I made the bridge work, but I had to remove the octave saddle pieces, drill/tap new holes to allow forward adjustment, and cut spacers to place under the saddle pieces to bring to correct height; then I had to find longer screws to hold these pieces down because the originals are now too short. It was a lot of time spent, and the bridge is now usable, but not really very good. I only did it because the guitar cost $80 and I couldn't see putting a $40 bridge on it!

6. mefgames

mefgames Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.