12 string/6 string question

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by teledubya, Jul 16, 2008.

1. teledubya

teledubya TDPRI Member

So I'm set on buying a nice Maton acoustic once I save up enough money for one. I love the sound of a 12 string, especially hearing John Butler, but it isn't a sound that I'd want all the time, I definitely want the 6 string sound as well but I don't have the money to get a nice one of both. So my question is if I bought a 12 string, could I just put the normal 6 strings on it when I wanted to instead of 12 without anything bad happening to the guitar itself, and would it still sound like a normal 6 string with the same quality of sound??

2. Valvey

Valvey Tele-Holic

I would be worried about the change in string tension throwing off the setup. With just the six strings the action would be much lower and the intonation would be a bit off. That's my guess.

3. FirstBassman

FirstBassman Friend of Leo's

My goodness, this is like the fifth or sixth most asked question on guitar forums.

Don't do it!

A Maton 12 in the States is going to cost A LOT of money.
    Choose another brand, save a lot of money and get a six and a 12.
    You won't be sorry.

Twelve-strings are one of nature's gifts to humans.

4. Mike Bruce

Mike Bruce Friend of Leo's

Also, a 12's top is designed for the tension of 12 strings to "drive" it. It may sound weak with 6 strings. Just buy a 6 and a 12 and get on with playing them.

Mike Bruce

5. aunchaki

aunchaki Friend of Leo's

What they said. Based on my current playing, I'd recommend getting the 12 first. Mine is my go-to guitar (sorry Teles).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.