12" Speaker suggestions for 5F11 build

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by AlbertaGriff, Dec 9, 2019.

1. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

Well I had posted a thread earlier looking for ways to swap speakers around and avoid buying another driver...

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/speaker-mix-and-match-advice.990299/

...but I think I am going to go ahead and sell my spare 12s and look for a good speaker to match the amp I am building.

So who can suggest a good 12" speaker for a 5F11 build?

I like WGS stuff, so would be very open to them, but could also easily order Eminence or Celestion. After that things get a bit tougher in Canada... For example, Weber speakers are pretty much a no-go because shipping is so prohibitive.

Thanks in advance!

2. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

It's probably repeated too often, but the Emi GA SC64 is just a great vintage sounding speaker. My guess is because they use a vintage style paper voice coil former like some of the coveted old Jensens and Bassman/ Super Reverb speakers.

BlueCajun, muchxs and AlbertaGriff like this.
  3. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Holic

I used a Tone Tubby Silver Bullet 10" speaker for the past year in my 5f11. If you like a little darker/richer tone it's a great speaker, the 12" version is their Chicago Blue. I recently swapped it out for an Eminence 1028k alnico 10" which I really like. It's very similar to the eminence GA10-SC59 which also comes in a 12" version. WGS likes a G10C or G10A in this amp...G12C or G12Q might get you close.

Shuster and AlbertaGriff like this.
  4. AlbertaGriff

Definitely have been looking at that one, but wasn't sure how it would pair with the 5F11 - I had seen people using it in a Deluxe Reverb mainly.

These two options appeal to me... because they are pretty inexpensive. Especially the G12Q! But I wonder if it would completely fall apart.

I use a G12C/S in my Deluxe Reverb, without the bright cap clipped, and I find it a great match.

5. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

It is (in my opinion) pretty pointless to ask "what speaker should I put in an amp I have not yet built and never played on". Especially if nobody knows what kind of music you are going to play, or what kind of guitar and effects you might use, or if you are playing alone at home or in church or out in the bars and clubs.

Everyone will recommend the speaker that they use; that will have little to do with what you want or need.

I have read many posts over the years saying that a certain type of speaker should NOT be used with a certain type of amp. I am using that speaker in that amp and it sounds great for my purposes.

If I was building that amp (and I have), I would put any speaker I had in there to see what it sounded like, before spending a bunch of money on something that somebody else recommended without ever hearing you or your amp.

Tim S and schmee like this.
  6. AlbertaGriff

That's a fair enough point.

I play mainly rock/country/blues in my house, recording sometimes. I know this amp would have originally come with a P10Q or something like that. I don't particularly like speaker breakup. I don't mind loud. I like well-defined highs that aren't strident or "ice-picky". I like full thick bass that isn't "muddy".

Is the 5F11 circuit bright?

jhundt likes this.
  7. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Holic

I would not describe the 5f11 as particularly bright. Maybe think of a more polite version of a tweed deluxe?

kingofdogs1950 and AlbertaGriff like this.
  8. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Afflicted

"Bright" is relative when it comes to tweed style amps. Thick is a better describer. The 5f11 breaks up later than a 5e3, but isn't quite as loud. I'd start with something generic to the Fender sound, like a Jensen C12q; it's good enough for the handwired Deluxe reverb and won't break the bank.

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  9. jhundt

I don't find it especially so. Your music choice coincides with mine in many ways, as does your desired sound. I seem to move the Tone knob between 10 and 12, depending on which guitar I am using. The Jensen (reissue) P10 that came with the Mojo kit seems to be quite suitable, though to be honest, I have never taken this amp out to a show.

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  10. AlbertaGriff

The brightness question is interesting for me. I have a 57 Tremolux (it's been serviced) with a Weber alnico hemp cone speaker, and I find it could be brighter. I often have tone between 9-12 as well. So if I were to go the WGS route, with the G12C vs G12C/S I would probably opt for the G12C, being that it is slightly brighter. The C/S works great in the DR to tame the brightness in the vibrato channel.

11. schmee

I would not call it bright. It does have clear defined highs though and like most tweeds, limited tone control via the tone circuit. It has better headroom to my ears unlike like a cathode bias tweed Deluxe as it's fixed bias like the Harvard.
    "well-defined highs that aren't strident or "ice-picky". I like full thick bass that isn't "muddy"."
    Weber 12F150
    Emi R W & B
    Emi GA SC64
    Emi 1258
    These pretty much fit your request well, as well as some other speakers for sure.

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  12. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Forget your snooty Celestion Golds and such. Everyone needs at least one Alessandro Signature (GA-SC64) speaker.

It's funny because not so long ago "speaker" was a relatively generic item. They were all supposed to work the same. Some were built better than others so some worked better than others. The differences were purely accidental.

Every amp needs a speaker. Might as well use your favorite.

Didja know that years ago alnico magnets gave way to ceramic magnets because alnico was classified as a strategic material in the U.S.?

13. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I've REALLY been wanting to try an Emi Maverick, so that's what I would suggest .
    I also hear glowing reviews of the Emi Alessandro.

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  14. jhundt

Hey muchxs - haven't seen you here in a while.

"Not so long ago" is not so long ago either! Back around 1990-something I read in a magazine about a speaker that Celestion was making, called a Vintage 30. I was living in the SF Bay Area (not exactly the backwoods!), and I had just bought an old 1955 Deluxe at a garage sale for $50. But the speaker was bad and I needed a replacement.

I determined to get me one of them Celestions, but there was no place you could go to buy a speaker. No internet, no on-line shops... I had to order one through a local shop, and wait 6 weeks for delivery. I got it, and stuck it into the Deluxe.

Now everyone on this forum will tell you that the Celestion Vintage 30 is dead wrong for a 5E3... let them say whatever they want - it kicked ass! I still have that speaker, and I use it now in the Princeton Reverb that I modified (with much advice from you!) with upgraded transformers. So yes - I agree. Use your favorite speaker, don't get too hung up on all the descriptions. Just stick a good speaker in there and play. You can always change it later.

TequilaCaster and AlbertaGriff like this.
  15. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

The lowly Celestion Rocket is almost everyone's laugh and point joke speaker. Except for a certain H.A. Dumble. That's his "go to " speaker for his modified tweed Deluxe types.

I tend to mix up H.A. Dumble and H.R. Giger...

:D

16. jhundt

HA, HR - not much difference between those two.

17. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Eminence SC64 for big warm ceramic tones with great definition and super efficiency.

Eminence alnico Legend 12 - put one in the second 5E3 I built. Got the 'clong' without the sqwawky honk of the 'Jensen' reissues. Sweet high efficient with a hint of snarl up top. Takes pedals well. Fairly balanced.

As jhundt said sometimes the left field choice works great. Cel Blues are a great 5E3 speaker if you don't put too much grain through the front. Freakin pricey but. Not for a 5F11 though.

18. AlbertaGriff

Might go the Eminence route. Thanks everyone.

19. AlbertaGriff

Gotta say I ended up buying this speaker and I am absolutely loving it in the 5F11 build. It sounds so good I want to try it in all of my other 12" 8 ohm amps. Thanks for the suggestion.

20. schmee

Hah! :D That's exactly what happened to me. I have it in 3 amps now.

AlbertaGriff likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.