12" speaker recommendation for 5F2-A build?

Which 12" alnico speaker would you recommend?

• Weber 12A125A

• Jupiter 12LA

• Warehouse G12A

• Other (share in post)

Results are only viewable after voting.

BenTobith

Tele-Meister
Looking for some feedback on 12" alnico speaker options for a 5F2-A amp build (w/ choke).

Would prefer one that is available in 4 ohm (which is why some Celestion options are absent).

Lowspeid

Tele-Meister
I have a G12a in my Victoria 20112 5e3 Deluxe, and my Musicmaster bass amp. And I have a Vet 10 (which seems very comparable) in my Princeton Reverb. I love them. I had the Jupiter, but it was too loud, to clean for too long up the dial, and too “warm” for my taste. I couldn’t get it out of them fast enough.

The G12A just sounds “right” in those old amps. It can get raspy (in a GREAT way) when I’m pushing it, and it has that 3-diensional/“transparent” tone when running clean/edge of breakup. There’s no “fizzynes” or weird artifacts when running pedals either. I’ve tried a Jensen P12Q, Alnico Cream, g12m65, and the G12A in Victoria Deluxe, and I like the G12a the best by a WIDE margin. I’m not looking to “upgrade” my Deluxe.

I’ve tried all those same speakers, plus the original Oxford (which literally fell apart a couple years back) in my MMB and I’ll never be taking the G12A out of there. Ever.

BenTobith

Tele-Meister
I have a G12a in my Victoria 20112 5e3 Deluxe, and my Musicmaster bass amp. And I have a Vet 10 (which seems very comparable) in my Princeton Reverb. I love them. I had the Jupiter, but it was too loud, to clean for too long up the dial, and too “warm” for my taste. I couldn’t get it out of them fast enough.

The G12A just sounds “right” in those old amps. It can get raspy (in a GREAT way) when I’m pushing it, and it has that 3-diensional/“transparent” tone when running clean/edge of breakup. There’s no “fizzynes” or weird artifacts when running pedals either. I’ve tried a Jensen P12Q, Alnico Cream, g12m65, and the G12A in Victoria Deluxe, and I like the G12a the best by a WIDE margin. I’m not looking to “upgrade” my Deluxe.

I’ve tried all those same speakers, plus the original Oxford (which literally fell apart a couple years back) in my MMB and I’ll never be taking the G12A out of there. Ever.
Great insights, thanks!

Gazza74

TDPRI Member
I am super interested in this. I just picked up a 12” eminence patriot black powder. Going to build a new cab and re-home my 5F2-A chassis. The warehouse G8A speaker and cab just didn’t have enough bottom end.

Jesco

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
My 5F2A has a 4ohm 12A125A in a 5e3 sized cab. It sounds fantastic. I haven’t tried any other speakers with that build, but it really feels like a great fit for that amp.

2L man

Tele-Afflicted
I think WGS G12Q is very good sounding speaker for low volume amps up to 8W...10W. Naturally for higher power amps too if they are not driven to too high power. I don't know does it exist 4 ohm?

Here is very good crunch sample:

I like more shimmering speakers and Jensen P12R and P12Q reissues are my favorites for low power low volume playing. Their European price are about the same what USA brand Ceramics are here. They both come also 4 ohm which I just bought two more P12Q because it make all amps sound sweeeeet.

If you want louder (higher sensitivity) Alnico which you can use with higher power amps check Blackbird 40. It sound very good all volumes and on lower power it does not color sound as much as those two above. I don't know its NA price but its European price is significantly lower than other brands. Its rather new so there are only few YT samples.

Last edited:

72_Custom

Tele-Meister
I don't have personal experience with the Warehouse or the Jupiter, but I run my 5F1 clone into a Weber 12A125. I shot out about a dozen different speakers with that amp and the Weber came out on top.

Uncle Daddy

Friend of Leo's
I've been running a Weber Alnico 12sig smooth cone- perfect for low volume speaker breakup and woody tones. Cheap too. Not a massive bottom end, which might be useful on a tweed amp. Leo relied on small speakers to tame excessive low end on the Champ and Princeton. I tried a regular Champ into a 12" driver, and the low end turned it all to mush and would require a V1 cathode cap swap to EQ things.