1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

12" speaker for sparkly goodness

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Socalsupermoto, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

This is what I've had in my blonde Blues Jr. since the speaker came out
    (Bad back!)
    Big volume and tonally balanced .
    Sounds great clean ( how I run BJ, and do use that clean tone) and dirty ( with OD pedals I use on that with that clean amp tone), and light!

stormsedge likes this.
  2. Socalsupermoto

Socalsupermoto TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Update. Played with the band tonight. Same thing: almost too much attach and mids with the eminence. Went and grabbed my old dr, used it as a speaker cab and the whole band was like “aw that’s sooo much better”

so screw it im just looking for the closest replacement speaker to this thing since I know it works. Problem is I dont know what the closest replacement speaker would be? 1BF451D3-78AE-4737-AF17-2DE60098FBDE.jpeg A5213B7B-5630-43A9-AAB6-FE111C64B05C.jpeg

Attached Files:

GFrank likes this.
  3. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I believe it to be an Oxford 12T6. There have been some used on Reverb, etc...but none this AM. I see some posts in other forums where folks had them reconed and really liked the results, so if you can find a used one that may be the way to go.

I do not know what is a current equivalent.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    Socalsupermoto likes this.
  4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

That is a low efficiency Oxford from 1980. It is a lot of speaker for a Prin Rev...meaning that it was built to handle the output of a 100-135 watt Twin Reverb and other higher powered amps....when used in pairs. The low efficiency 12T6 was introduced in 1966 due to the high failure rate of the speakers Fender was using in Twin Reverbs, Bassman, Showman/Dual Showman amps. It was also used 8n Pro Reverbs, but the 40 watt Pro Reverb did not present the problem that the higher output amps did to the narrow-gapped high efficiency Oxfords.

5. Jlwctn

Jlwctn Tele-Meister

Here is a microscopic amount of information gathered from WeberVST.

Credence 117
    Pyle 1098
    Rola 285
    Eminence 67
    CTS 137
    EV 649
    Oxford 465
    Altec/Lansing 391
    Utah 328
    Quam 270
    Jensen 220
    Weber 1279
    Cleveland 433

6. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

7. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I was waiting for this...

BlueCajun and Socalsupermoto like this.
  8. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

Hopefully close enough to on topic- can you describe the difference in those two? Thx!

9. Wally

While waiting for slider313 to give us his expert opinion, I will take a WAG. The smaller magnet has less damping effect and that lets the cone move more freely. With the lower power amp that the OP is using, the big magnet and its damping effect are not needed. The light doping will Also yield a cone that can move more freely. This might give more high end as well?? If you are going to push the amp hard and use some distortion, one might worry about ghost notes with lighter doping.

https://tedweber.com/whats-dope/

10. Wally

Fwiw, Weber’s options can be mind/ear-boggling. It is best to know exactly what you want sound wise and refer to Weber VST for guidance, perhaps. For instance, you could choose light dope and the smaller magnet and still have the option for the cone.
    That said! I am thinking that slider313’s suggestion gets you where Moto wants to go. But.....I have heard from the grapevine that Moto has opted for the Emi Alessandro 64, which is a very good speaker for the Fender AB763 circuit, ime.

Askwhy likes this.
  11. skradlee

skradlee TDPRI Member

You should check out the Jensen Raptor in their Jets line... It might look familiar. ;)

63 vibroverb likes this.
  12. skradlee

skradlee TDPRI Member

Technically, the 12" was designed for a Deluxe, the 10" was for a Princeton, but I bet a Princeton with an Alessandro 12" would sound glorious at about noon!

13. SonicBlueByYou

SonicBlueByYou TDPRI Member

I put an SC-64 in my Princeton 12” Reissue and love it. From old country snap to Fogerty, it’s perfect.

14. slider313

slider313 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Well, Wally pretty much nailed it. I'll add that the smaller magnet in the smaller Princeton cabinet won't sound as constricted and the light doping does brighten the speaker slightly. The "W" cone is not as scooped as the standard 12F150 and produces more upper mids, which brightens the tone, and why Weber labels it as "Tele twang tone" with moderately crunchy break up. No ice pick highs from this speaker. FYI: I've had five or six old Jensen's rebuilt with this cone with no instance of cone cry or ghost notes. This cone was found on many late 50's Jensen model P12P speakers.

[​IMG]

theprofessor, Wally and Askwhy like this.
  15. Wally

I had Weber recone a 1960 P12P back in 2003. I had never heard one in an amp and kept it boxed for a worthy amp. A well-played, ratty looking ‘57 5E3 came in for service. It had some odd ceramic in it that did a disservice to the amp. I put the P12P in it...BEST sounding 5E3 I had ever heard. I have acquired another P12P with the original cone...and the oddest color frame ever seen on a Jensen Alnico. It is some sort of olive drab/tan color with a Bell Film-o-sound label on it. Sad thing is it is a 16 ohm speaker. Ya’ll know I prefer matched loads. I have no amp for it!

slider313 likes this.
  16. gabasa

gabasa TDPRI Member

I rotated through a lot of 12" speakers in one amp a couple of years ago and that stopped after I installed a Jupiter 12LC-P.
    I've read comments in the past in which players were really happy with the 12LC in a Princeton circuit.

You can hear it a bit in this comparison video, he starts playing the Jupiter just after the 1:00 mark:

17. beachbreak

beachbreak Tele-Meister

I second the Jensen C12N or similar.

18. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

But I usually start playing around 8! How would it sound at that time? :rolleyes::confused:

Wally likes this.
  19. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I have one of those in a 1x12" cabinet, too. I use it with my THR100HD - two thumbs up.

stormsedge likes this.
  20. Wally

I will take the Jupiter over that WGS, too. It is more articulate and would cut through the mix better, imho. The WGS is thicker sounding and gets a bit muddled in comparison.

gabasa likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.