12" speaker for sparkly goodness

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Socalsupermoto, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Socalsupermoto

Socalsupermoto TDPRI Member

I have a 12" princeton mojotone. it has this eminence speaker. to my ears sounds good but a bit hard/cutting. When I put the amp back to back with my sfdr and use the deluxe's speaker which looks like the one below it sounds glorious. Much more airy, less like a wall, more depth but it starts doing weird breakup stuff at moderate volume. The speaker is old, so perhaps just worn out?

So l'm looking for sparkly 12" speaker for my princeton that sounds like my classic sfdr speaker without weirdness. lightweight is a bonus because it's my gig amp. tia

Attached Files:

Arfage and nojazzhere like this.
  2. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

WGS G12C or Weber 12F150.

alathIN and Cali Dude like this.
  3. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

The best sounding 12" I have right now is a Lil' Texas neo...your results may vary.

Anacharsis, Chiogtr4x, RomanS and 2 others like this.
  4. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire

I've always heard that speakers made for higher wattage ratings were less articulate, but I have no experience to back up that claim. Good luck.

Socalsupermoto likes this.
  5. 63 vibroverb

63 vibroverb Tele-Afflicted

My usual go to is a Weber 12F150/12F150T. Recently I just tried out an old Mojotone Black Beauty BB12G and love it. It’s like a cross between an old Jensen C12N and a Celestion G12H30 with the cone from an Alnico Blue. Super airy and articulate and stays stout and solid with volume and gain. It’s got that soft but never harsh sparkle from the Blue.

I would assume the cone has most to do with articulation (thinness, ribbing, doping, paper formula, etc).

Socalsupermoto and Cali Dude like this.
  6. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

The classic C12N Jensen is Fender sparkle...
    Yes, the italian one.

D_Malone, Geo, Shango66 and 4 others like this.
  7. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

The Weber 12F150 will not be like the DR speaker. it will be far more robust on the lows and not as sparkly. That's why the 12F150 changes the DR or PR sound from stock so well!

I'm not sure what the OP means by "weirdness" but ...
    For sparkly and minimal low end change .....maybe just an Emi Legend, Weber 12F125 or .... I had a 25watt Greenback in a DR once that was actually quite good surprisingly, and would definitely fit that category.

8. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

"Much more airy, less like a wall, more depth but it starts doing weird breakup stuff at moderate volume". Are you saying you plugged the Princeton into the Deluxe speaker while it was still in the Deluxe Reverb. Part of the 3 dimensional characteristics you hear maybe the larger cabinet size.

For sparkly, you may want to consider an alnico speaker.

MilwMark likes this.
  9. Guy Guyatone

Guy Guyatone TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I've been very pleased with my Jensen Tornado neo 12" and it isn't even broken in yet.
    Supposedly voiced like an Alnico, the high end peak is higher and broader than most speakers- the "sparkle" you might be looking for.

10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

How many hours at what volume have you put on the stiffer less airy sounding speaker?
    Might just not be broken in.
    Takes 10-30 hours at piss off the neighbors volume, and I've broken in a lotta speakers.

11. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Afflicted

+1 for Weber 12F150, if weight is a major concern you might consider the Jensen Tornado neo. They come in 3 distinct power ratings/tonal flavors at 65, 80 and 100 watts. I have a pair of 100 watt ones in my 1968 Twin Reverb. The weight savings is around 13 lb for the pair. They make the Twin a svelte 55-57 lb, very liveable with my about-to-be 70 year-old back. Tonally, they have that airy quality, nice sparkly highs, solid lows without being overtly aggressive, and the mids are slightly subdued. They are rated at 99dB, so they will give good volume at moderate power inputs. Fender has seen fit to use a version of these speakers in their Tone Master DR and TR. YMMV

12. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Like telemnemonics (above) I was wondering if your speaker is indeed broken in. I favor Jensen and Eminence "Jensen" copies for all my amps.....even Vox amps. If you feel yours should be broken in, maybe look for a vintage Jensen or Eminence for sale. I've bought several older Jensens that people had taken out of an amp because they preferred (or THOUGHT they preferred) a Celestion of some kind. Check e-bay or Reverb. They're usually pretty cheap, and you can sell them on without a loss if you don't like one.

skradlee, PhredE and Socalsupermoto like this.
  13. 63 vibroverb

63 vibroverb Tele-Afflicted

I’m pretty picky with my speakers, but have to admit some of the higher powered Sica Jensens are actually quite nice. C12N is decent. The C12K2 (the “2” on the end is important) is not well known, but one of the ones I really like. 100 watt version of the C12N with a British cone for more sparkle.

skradlee likes this.
  14. Socalsupermoto

yes but with both being open back I wouldn’t expect the primary difference due to the moderate difference in cabinet size?

15. Socalsupermoto

well I got it used and have put atleast 15 hours on it so I’m assuming they’re broken in

16. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

What are the codes on that old Fender speaker? I can’t read that label...if indeed that label has the codes on it.

jsnwhite619 and Socalsupermoto like this.
  17. slider313

slider313 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

While many may recommend the standard Weber 12F150, I would go with a custom order 12F150W, with a 30 oz. magnet instead of the stock 40 oz, at 50 watts with light doping of the surround.

https://tedweber.com/12f150-w/

18. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Alessandro GA12 SC64 was made for that amp and that purpose. Warm, articulate, sparkly.

BlueCajun, Shango66, skradlee and 2 others like this.
  19. noname_dragon

noname_dragon Tele-Meister

Allessandro ceramic 12 would be my suggestion

skradlee likes this.
  20. noname_dragon

noname_dragon Tele-Meister

Sure looks like a tired old Oxford you have there.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.