12" speaker choice

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Charlie Bernstein, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Hey!

I'm thinking of turning my 210 cab into a 112 cab - sell the speakers, put in a new front board, and get a twelve-inch speaker.

I've had Jensen, Weber, and Eminence speakers. I like all three, but for this I'm leaning toward the Eminence Patriot Series. I want loud, with clean headroom for blues, old-school country, and mid-tempo rock.

Think Chuck Berry, Mike Bloomfield, B.B. King, Jerry Garcia, Bob Weir, Elvin Bishop, and Luther Allison.

No metal, no grunge, no shredded legato, no hardcore, no meedly-meedly-meedly, no chunkchunkchunkchunkchunk.

The guitars: Single-coil Teles and Strats. The amps: a highly hot-rodded '65 Bassman head and a Quilter Micro-Block 45.

Three Eminence Patriots that crank out a lot of decibels are:

- Li'l Texas (neodyn)
    - Cannabis Rex (ceramic)
    - Red, White and Blues (ceramic)

What can you tell me about any of them (or other twelves that fit the profile)?

Thanks!

2. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Holic

A lot of folks like the Crex, but I've never really liked it in any of the amps I have tried it. Maybe it's too smooth. I like to get some percussive attack, and Crex doesn't seem do it.

The two eminence that have worked well for me are, the 1258 and gb128. Both are very efficient. You can get some good percussive snap on the bottom strings, top is clear but not harsh. I don't find the gb128 very British sounding, but it pushes mids a bit more than 1258.
    Hope that is helpful.

3. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

I have an Emi RWB in my 15 watt Ampeg... the knock on the RWB is that it's light on the low-end, but the Ampeg has plenty of bass on tap, so they work well together; everything else is classic American sparkle and drive. And I'm pretty sure the little Ampeg can't blow the 120 watt RWB, no matter how hard I push it. Works for me!

Dacious and Charlie Bernstein like this.
  4. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

I think you are thinking well, the Red, White, and Blues would do the job well as does the Texas Heat despite not being on your list. Run them both and either one would get the job done well.

Charlie Bernstein likes this.
  5. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

- Li'l Texas (neodyn) The Texas Heat I had was rather grating and annoying, but wasn't a Lil Texas.
    - Cannabis Rex (ceramic) The C Rex I had with a DR was too warm and muddy for me, but I think I had a bad one as everyone seems to like them. (used) And with a Bassman and Quilter, it might be just right.
    - Red, White and Blues (ceramic) This would be my choice for big, bold and semi-clean and take the power.

6. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I've now had two C Rex speakers - one in a '79 DR (BF'ed), and one in an open back 1X12 cab. The C Rex in that DR was the only speaker I really liked in it. Every other speaker had harsh highs, and most of them had farty, loose low end, but not the C Rex. I guess I should mention that I regularly cranked the DR, and that's where the C Rex really shined. I guess a lot of other 12s would probably sound okay at lower volumes, but I normally had the amp at about 6 on the vol or higher.

...For the 1X12 cab, I was mostly using that with a 5E3 derivative, when I wanted something that sounded a whole lot smoother when the amp was cranked. I've used that cab with a bunch of other amps, both clean and overdriven, and it tends to sound good with all of them. I can't understand what others mean when they say that the C Rex is too warm/smooth/etc., because all I have to do is crank up the treble a bit more - problem solved.

I just recently got a Lil' Texas, and also seem to mostly like it. I still have to break it in to really know for sure, but I think I might end up liking it a bit more than the Texas Heat (which I have two of), and which IMO sounds maybe a bit above average. While the Lil' Texas seems like it will be good for cleaner tones, I'm thinking I'll probably prefer it with the more overdriven amp tones, and the speaker being pushed.

7. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Meister

Don't know if it's worth paying vintage price for, but it's hard to find a louder cleaner speaker than an Altec 417-8c. They were a popular speaker for 70s era Twins and Boogies and would have no problem handling your Bassman and Quilter. Compared to ceramic speakers, they have a very smooth and balanced frequency response which may or may not be what you're looking for, but a 417 will never flub out on the low end.

8. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

Speaker Warehouse speakers = really good, I've put them on a couple amps. read the reviews... many reviews beating out speakers that are twice the money & more. I just looked in Musicians Friend... 6 months ago the were under 100 bucks, now about 130. I have projects & will be buying more soon before they go up again

9. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

They look like fun. I'll keep 'em in mind. Didn't see decibels specs, though.

I'm interested in Eminence because I've had good luck with them - and two ones I'm looking at are well under $100.

(Haven't looked at used prices yet.)

10. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

I'd at least consider the WGS ET65.

Geo, uriah1 and Charlie Bernstein like this.
  11. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

ET65 is a great speaker but I replaced mine in a couple amps with the Eminence JS1250. Check it out. Best I’ve found...for me....good luck.

Edit-I missed your comment that you’d be using a Bassman Head. JS1250 is only a 50 watt spkr....I would not use it with a cranked Bassman. Now if it were two 12’s...

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  12. Straydogger

Straydogger Tele-Holic

13. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Check out the SC64 Alessandro.

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  14. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

I like the C Rex & 1258. The 1258 is a good deal brighter and is 75 watt power handling vs CRex 50 watts, depending how loud you like to crank the Bassman.

C Rex: Had one in my 5f11 Tweed Vibrolux and loved it. Offered enough high end for me, and still let me turn up the tone knob for extra overdrive bite. Being a little darker, it sounds great in a 1x12 Pro Jr cabinet because my PJ has always seemed too bright for my taste. Built a Princeton Reverb earlier this year; tried the 1258 and it sounded great, but still a little too bright. A C REx on 7-8 was like the 1258 on 4-5; crank it up and it just got brighter.

1258: I have it in a Tweed Harvard I built to be as clean as I could get it and it and it almost sounds like a Blackface, best Tweed clean amp I've ever built or played. 1258 sounds amazing in my 5e3 Deluxe where I hated the C Rex in it. I tried a guy's Silvertone 1483 6L6 amp through it and it sounded like a Fender.

So, my experience with the two is the Cannabis Rex helps tame brighter amps and has a softer, more worn-in sound. 1258 really hits the high end and adds a nice punch to a darker amp. My Cannabis Rex is definitely broken in by now, so I'm pretty sure this is what it's going to sound like. The 1258 doesn't have nearly the time or power through it yet, so I don't know how much more it will mellow out.

Some demo clips I did a while back. The Vibrolux & CRex and the Harvard & 1258. Pretty similar circuits except I used a Deluxe Reverb OT on the Harvard for max cleans. Few other small changes, but you can really hear the snappy sound of the Harvard and 1258 vs the more mid-range, softer sound of the C REx.

Daytona.57 likes this.
  15. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

I have the Eminence EJ 1240 in my BF Deluxe-Amp and like it a lot. It's pretty efficient, so it's a loud-ish speaker, but I don't think it has the capacity to handle the full output of a Bassman head.

powerwagonjohn likes this.
  16. jkats

jkats Tele-Meister

A few thoughts:

- Li'l Texas (neodyn) Fine and great choice to save weight, but that shouldn't be a big concern with a 1x 12" cab
    - Cannabis Rex (ceramic) A good choice to handle the output of a BF Bassman, but lacks a little sparkle and punch
    - Red, White and Blues (ceramic) - tried this in my old combo BMR, and no sparkle. None. Sold at a loss.

Suggestions:

- Emi Legend 1258 -- Punch and sparkle, and good power handling (75 watts).
    - Warehouse G12C -- Same qualities, and also handles 75 watts (always good for a speaker to be able to handle about double the amp's output). Just installed one in a friend's Gries 35 (a unicorn of an amp -- like a 1 x 12" BF Vibrolux Reverb), and it works well, with the qualities you seek. Avoid the smooth cone G12C/S that breaks up earlier.

Additional observation: You're going to need a new baffle for that cab. I have the plywood and table saw for it (and since I built the cab, I know the dimensions).

17. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Haven't tried the cannabis rex, but of the other two, I prefer the Li'l Texas. I not only like the weight, but it gives me the clarity, chime, and cleans that I love. I thought the Red, White, and Blues was a little sterile and generic sounding. Not really a bad sound in it, just didn't move me. It was an improvement over the Jensen in my DRRI anyway.

18. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

not out of those I would take reg ol Texas Heat

19. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Holic

In my earlier post I stuck to eminence suggestions; but some folks mentioned wgs-et65.
    That is truly a great suggestion.

psykobilly likes this.
  20. vanr

vanr Tele-Afflicted

I'll second the GB128

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.