12" equivalent of Jensen P10R

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Durtdog, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

What would be the 12" equivalent of the Jensen P10R sound-wise?

I have a Mojo cab with 12 inch speaker for Pro Junior, and I'm not happy with the sound of the Emi GB128 that's currently in there.

2. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Jensen P10R is sort of low watt, so probably the Jensen P12Q. P12N is a tad higher watt.
    Jensen keeps you in the American sounding ballpark. Lot of Great brit alnicos, but,
    that is a diff spin. Wish you luck

3. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

If you can find a (now discontinued) Eminence 1228 (not the GB version) it sounds excellent. Have one in my 5e3. But, they are getting tough to find.

Maybe one of the Weber offerings? I'd say give them a call and see what they say.

I am not familiar enough with Jensen's 12" offerings to give you a good suggestion.

4. RickLafayette

RickLafayette TDPRI Member

Why wouldn't the Jensen P12R not be the 12"sound equivalent? Both are alnico 25 watt speakers

schmee and BBill64 like this.
  5. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

Weber makes the best-liked, biggest line of Jensen equivalents. The literal equivalent of a P12R is the 12A100T, 15W nominal compared to the original's 12W nominal. This would sound most like an original if you ran a vintage OT and so on. Many people move up to the 12A125 series, 20-30W, somewhat larger voice coil, etc. It has a *lot* of choices of cone and other details. Definitely contact CJ at Weber and tell him what amp and what sound you're trying to achieve.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  6. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

7. Durtdog

I had thought Jensen P12R would be the logical choice, but read that it didn't sound good or the same as the P10R.

I've read good things about the Weber Alnico Sig.

8. BBill64

BBill64 Tele-Afflicted

worth considering the Jensen neo speakers. I have a Tornado in a YGM3 and it's really nice, and lightweight!

9. t-luxe

t-luxe Tele-Afflicted

The Weber Sig12AS is great up to medium loud volumes but gets pretty ratty after that. I'm using one in my 5A3 and it delivers that Vintage Tweed tone.

10. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

What don't you like about the sound, and are you sure it's the speaker and not other settings? Amp stand?

Regarding Jensens, the MOD (AKA Chicago ) sound, to me, rather good as a range. Not for everyone. The 12-35 is a good speaker up to medium/loud levels, i.e., keeping up with a fun band. When it does get driven very loud, i.e, a 15 Watt valve amp run hot with a fuzz in the mix too, it rats out. The 50 and 70 Watt models keep their composure rather better, but if skrank is your desire, the 35 Watter may fit. They're not the most efficient speakers either, so you get to turn your amp up more.

The Jet Falcon is altogether smoother and more efficient. Drive that with 15 Watts of clipping valves and it doesn't get in the slightest ratty.

11. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

The equivalent would be the P12R

StoogeSurfer likes this.
  12. Durtdog

I've put the Pro Junior IV back in its original cab because I like the "bounce" of the stock 10" Jensen better than the Emi GB128, which seems to flatten out the sound, if that makes sense. The Jensen is definitely more articulate.

The cabinet and speaker transformed it into an entirely different beast, and not one that I necessarily wanted. The GB128 worked great for me a few years ago in a Marshall 18 watt clone, but not for this amp.

I can keep this amp stock and be perfectly happy. I like the stock sound, but I bought the Mojo cab and would like to make this work. I can always use the Mojo cab with something else or sell it.

Daytona.57 likes this.
  13. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

Why don’t you like the GB128? I have one coming Thursday.

14. JoeyBronco

JoeyBronco TDPRI Member

Durtdog
    I happen to have 2 vintage 60’s or 70’s (haven’t checked the serial number for year of production) P12R’s (8 ohm). Was going to put in a 2x12 but might put just one in my my 74 Princeton Reverb. If you are interested in the other, we might be able to work something out.
    Good Luck

15. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

A couple thoughts:
    What is the depth of the Mojo cab? Deeper cabs make a big difference.
    Also, how thick is the mojo baffle? If they are using 3/4" that has an effect like you mention.
    I'm not a fan of the Sig's myself. .. or the P12R for that matter. But if you liked the P10R, then a weber P12Q (12A125) or similar might work for you.

16. Durtdog

Hey don't get me wrong, it's a great speaker, I've used them in other amps to great effect, it's just not what I want for this one. Wanting a more articulate American sound.

17. derekirving

derekirving TDPRI Member

I have a Pro Junior IV w/P10R it's a great combination. I've always dug the reissue Jensen P10R's

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.