1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

'12 American Standard vs. last model

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by loggerboots, Aug 21, 2012.

1. loggerboots

loggerboots Tele-Meister

Hi,

I tried out the 2012 Am. Std. tele over the weekend. I own last year's model. I was disapointed with the sound of the new custom shop pickups they have in there. I think whatever nameless pickups that were in last year's model sound better, esp in the neck. I was playing through my amp, but at the store, so room acoustics, setup, etc, could have been a factor.

What's been the sentiment regarding the changes over last year?

2. drb1346

drb1346 Tele-Afflicted

I like the pups as well as the tummy contour!

3. Esquire59

Esquire59 Tele-Holic

For me the "belly cut" would be a reason NOT to get a 2012 model...

4. papoon

papoon TDPRI Member

I had a 2005 am std, now i have the 2012, big difference in the pickups sound wise so at first it was a bit awkward (loved the sound of my 2005 in every way) but now about 3 months in i love the 2012 more, it is a much more (how do i put this ) assertive guitar and once i got used to the new pups and played with my amp setting to fit the new pups i absolutely love the 2012,it just seems like more meat to the sound which you can always dial back if you want, also as far as the belly cut i tried my best to hate it and be a traditionalist but its so comfortable that there is no way to not love it. all that said there is a subtle warmth i got from my 2005 that i can't seem to get from the 2012 especially the neck pup, so subtle but not there on the 2012, hard to explain,

5. 73Fender

73Fender Friend of Leo's

The neck pick up on my 2011 was sweet, never liked the bridge. Installed a set of CS Texas Specials a few months back. The Neck pick up is going back in, one of my favorite Tele pick ups.

6. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

73 Fender wrote:

"The neck pick up on my 2011 was sweet, never liked the bridge. Installed a set of CS Texas Specials a few months back. The Neck pick up is going back in, one of my favorite Tele pick ups."

I agree on the neck pickup, it's about as good as it gets for a single coil. I've owned several Teles including an Ash MIM which played and sounded good with Tex-Mex pickups. Two '52 AVRI Teles, and others. The neck pickup on my 2011 AS is the best of the lot (IMO of course YMMV) I didn't hate the bridge pickup, but then again, it was just a little light in the saddle, kind of OK but not really ballsy enough. I tinkered with the settings until it sounded pretty good, but the middle position was not that much different from the neck when the bridge was adjusted to sound it's best.

Enter the Cavalier Lion bridge pickup by Rob DiStefano, PERFECT. Plenty of balls on the bridge, and now I have a very usable middle position. There are three distinctly different sounds available. It took some experimenting with pickup heights, and they are not the same as any I've used before, but when I got them together, with each sounding right on it's own, it's just like I want it. It even took different settings on my DRRI from what I'm used to, but I'm glad I kept working until I got it right.

The cool thing about buying a 2011, I really didn't care one way or the other about the gut cut. It would be OK with or without it, but the price I got the 2011 for was great, as is the guitar itself. Best feeling neck I've ever owned outside my AS Strat. Definitely the best feeling Tele neck I've played, and 12 sets of Fender Bullet strings thrown into the deal made it sweet.

7. Ragnad

Ragnad TDPRI Member

i'd like a 2012 in that jade mist metallic whatever color with a rosewood neck.

8. 73Fender

73Fender Friend of Leo's

I have one of Rob's pickups (think it's the Cavalier Lion) in the bridge position of my 73 in my avatar. He also rewound my dead original neck pickup. He also replaced the original harness with 250K pots and a 4 way. I saved all the vintage stuff but what a transformation. I'll never sell it anyway, it's my only surviving guitar from high school.

I got my 2011 Am Standard on CL, a girl bought it and that nice little C neck was too big for her. Blizzard Pearl with a rosewood neck, love it but that neck pickup has to go back in.

9. Lone Picker

Lone Picker Tele-Meister

+1

10. jeb stuart

jeb stuart Tele-Holic

i really think electric guitars need a set up ie. truss rod, intonation, new strings and height etc. before you can really judge them.

11. StratBluesRock

StratBluesRock Friend of Leo's

Yeah I don't like the belly cut on the new Teles either.

12. Canuckcaster

Canuckcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Do all 2012 American Standard Tele's have a belly cut? If so, my new Tele must be a 2011. At least I got it on clearance.

CC

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.