1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

10's back on the Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Stanford Guitar, Dec 21, 2020.

1. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My default is 10s for Gibby scale and 9s for Fender scale Other wise I bend too much or can’t vent much at all.

2. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

I've always had 10's on my Teles, come to think of it I use 10's on ell my electrics except my short neck'd Vega "Westerner" which has 11's on it.

Gary

3. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I'm 10-46 all the way. When SRV died, I used 12s for almost a year after that. It beat the crap out of my fingers and made the other guys in the band really annoyed, because of my complaining. I thought it would make me a better, stronger player, like wearing ankle weights for a year, but it didn't. I was just a worse player for that year, then back to where I was before, when i switched back to 10s. Watta gyp.

superjam144 and Clifton C like this.
  4. Clifton C

Clifton C Tele-Afflicted

I prefer 10s, too.

Blue Bill likes this.
  5. Martocaster

Martocaster TDPRI Member

I use 11’s on my favourite Strat and on my CV Tele so when I got a new Tele I put 11’s on here too and tweaked the setup to be the same. Somehow it didn’t feel the same though and didn’t have the same slinky feeling. Now it has 10s on and feels more similar.

It’s a rosewood board and the other two are maple, it’s the only difference I can think of, but either way 10s just suit that one.

6. glen851

glen851 TDPRI Member

I use 56- 14s on my Loar 700 acoustic, and when I play my tele with 50-11s they just disappear!

7. Theiglupickin

Theiglupickin TDPRI Member

I used 9's for a very long time. Easy to bend and play but the past few years I'd been using 10's mainly because they just resonate better when strumming chords. So it's a compromise of sorts between soloing and chords for me. It also depends on what sound you like! Everyone's got their own sense of their target sound and the music, strings, amps and pedals all contribute to one variation or another. Go with your ear and it will guide you to the best solution. However, as I read in PG magazine a while ago, sometimes its good to try something new (like strings) because you might discover a sound you like better than what you've been using. So, its a moving target for all of us. As I watched an interview with Billy Gibbons of ZZ-Top fame, he mentioned that he uses 8's on his guitars primarily because they play easier with his fingers! I'm sure he compensates for what he liked with heavier gauge string with his playing style, lighter picking, etc? Hard to say. There are many variables in the equation so, experiment, try new things since its a life long quest for the sounds that you want to achieve! I used 8's back in my teenage years and loved them for how easy they were to bend on solo work but I quickly realized the chords just didn't have the resonance that heavier gauges gave me. One thing I noticed with 10's compared to lighter strings, is how well the guitar resonates without being plugged in!! That says something right there! Enjoy the journey!

8. decibel

decibel Tele-Meister

The thicker gauge mostly just adds bass. Sounds good alone, but worse in a band context.

I use 10s and turn my amp's bass to 0 when playing with the band.

9. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

10-46 on everything for decades for me

10. Auherre756

Auherre756 TDPRI Member

I kinda settled on 10s for my Strats and Teles, 11s for my Gibsons, and 12s for acoustics and those guitars I strictly use for slide.

11. philta

philta TDPRI Member

I use 9s on teles and strats and 10s on Gibson

Telefan65 likes this.
  12. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Afflicted

Rhett said it best:

13. Telefan65

Telefan65 Tele-Meister

9’s on mine.

14. Lance Morgan

Lance Morgan TDPRI Member

I go heavy bottom end hybrid 10-52.
    Feels right, good low end response. I do the same on all my acoustics.

15. Spooky88

Spooky88 TDPRI Member

D'addario XL 10-46... purchased in 1992.. instaled them on my partscaster in 2015. Still sound and play great. I'm guessing 3k + hours on those strings. I'll wear the stainless steel frets out on the neck before I break one string from that set.

16. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

These are a pretty good compromise :)

Ernie-Ball-2210-Nickel-Wound-Custom-Gauge.jpg

Stanford Guitar likes this.
  17. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

+1 The best of all worlds. I've been using the XL120+s for at least 6 years now.

telemaster03 likes this.
  18. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Holic

I got a Bullet Tele with 9's on it and replaced the wound strings from a set of D'addario NYXL 10's. Perfect.

19. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

I used to use 12s. A lot of local shops only carry 11s. That's what I decided to use from now on.

20. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Afflicted

I use 10s too, I tried heavier but ended up with a wound g string, which was horrible.

Do they make 11s with an unwound g string?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.