1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

10A100T vs 10A125 vs 1028K?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by gabasa, Jan 27, 2021.

1. gabasa

gabasa Tele-Meister

Hey all,

It's really tough to find direct comparisons between any of these three speakers. I'm finding the speakers in a couple of my newer 1x10 amp builds much too warm and fat for these amps. Fwiw, they're Harvard and a 5E3 circuits with 40 oz alnico magnet speakers in them. They're way too much speaker for those amps and I even had to temporarily wire a bright cap across the volume pot of the Harvard until I find the right speakers.

I'm looking for clear, jangly, open and airy, 10" with alnico magnets.

Weber's 10A125 and the 10A100T are supposed to be similar, so if I go with Weber, I was thinking the 10A100T for the Harvard and 10A125 for the 5E3, no dope on either. I still don't know why I'd pick one over the other though.

Then there's the Eminence 1028K to complicate things even further for me.

Just wondering if anyone could advise me on which way to go, based on sonic differences, if you've been able to directly compare them at some point.

Thanks.

2. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

I had the eminence 1028k in my 5f11, very similar to the 5f10, for the last year and really liked it. Currently I'm trying out an eminence reignmaker just because I had it laying around. It's got a little more extension to the high end and has the flux magnet dial. No plans to get rid of the 1028k, it's a great speaker and may wind up back in the 5f11.

I've heard of a few people using Weber 10's with good results. If you're willing to lose a few dollars on the deal, buy them all, break them in and record them for. Then sell the extras.

gabasa and Wally like this.
  3. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

E-mail [email protected] and describe the amps and the tones you want.
    Ask, don't tell, about what models will get you there. CJ has the answers.

viking, gabasa and tubedood like this.
  4. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I've used the Emi 1028K and Weber 10A125. The 10A125 wins hands down. It's not even close. In fact the 10A125 is my favourite 10" speaker ever made.

I had a 1960 Fender Super. It came to me with a pair of the Emi blue frames (which are the 1028P). It was fine. However the moment I dropped a pair of 10A125's into that amp it's like it came alive! Shimmer and chime for days.

I've also got a quad of 10A125's in my hand built 5F6A Bassman. That amp sounds so friggin good with those speakers it's almost criminal.

I'm just going to tell you now that if you want that sweet 50's and early 60's alnico tone, the 10A125 is where it's at. It's smooth as silk when pushed hard too. It sounds great at all volumes and has plenty of low end without flubbing out. BEST. SPEAKER. EVER.

Weber makes everything to order. So here's a tip - when you order ask them to do a break in before they ship it. They do it for free. It's not 100% broken in when you get it but it shaves about 20 hours off that out of the box break in period.

Gris, gabasa, nedorama and 1 other person like this.
  5. NTC

NTC Tele-Meister

I was using a 10A100T in my high-voltage 5F11 and it was a really good match - but so is a 4x10 with 2 10A125's and 2 10A100's

gabasa likes this.
  6. Tube Life

Tube Life TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I’m using a mix of 10A125 and 10F150 speakers in a 4x10 Super Reverb Clone. Absolutely no complaints here. I’ve had them for 15 yrs and no plans of changing. The only aspect I may change is to go all Alnico with four 10A125’s.

Gris and gabasa like this.
  7. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

FYI. I love alnicos, but, I think you get more jangly with a ceramic

IMHO

gabasa likes this.
  8. David C

David C Tele-Meister

I have a 12A125A in my 5E3 and three 10A125 speakers in my 5E7. The 5E3 sounds fantastic and you will see that a lot of people will make that recommendation. I love the punchiness of my 10A125 speakers, and they are really nice sounding. My advice is to email CJ at Weber for his thoughts. I just added some other speakers into a Peavey Classic 50 and his recommendation was spot on.

The Webers are made to order, so you can get exactly what you want. They are great people to work with.

gabasa likes this.
  9. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I have mixed feelings about the 10a125's... But, also not a lot of time on them. I have a pair of Weber P10Q's that were reconed a few years ago. When they came back, the work order from Weber said they were 10A125 recones. I asked and they said that it was the same thing. I put them in an amp that previously had a mix pair of modern Jensens (P10R and C10R). They are more efficient than the Jensens, much more punchy as well. They also haven't had enough time put on them to break them in yet (I have to put the amp on the bench and do some troubleshooting).

I got the Webers in a '69 Vibrolux Reverb and they sounded spectacular! But, they were also very direct, very immediate in that amp. They also didn't handle the full power of that amp (Had a guy come visit just to play that amp... When I turned my back, he cranked it... Couple days later I realized he had blown both speakers).

I also have a '59 Bassman Reissue. It came to me with a quad of Jensen P10Rs. It sounded really good, but eventually I found the treble response just a touch too much. I scored a pair of 1028ALKs and popped them in the top spots. IT cut just a hair off the top end and tightened up the bass response... an added bonus. I will say that I love what the 1028's did to that amp.

This thread has tempted me to try the Webers in the bottom spots on my Bassman, but I have a feeling the Webers are much more efficient than the Eminence speakers. Not sure how that mix would work... But I may get bored one of these days and give it a try.

Jangley to me means modern Jensens. If you wanted a little honk, maybe one of the modern Celestions? I wish I had any real experience with some of the WGS offerings, I bet there's something there that would nail what you want. The idea of contacting CJ at Weber is an excellent idea as well!

Sorry I couldn't offer anything of actual value... LOL

gabasa likes this.
  10. gabasa

gabasa Tele-Meister

Hey Everyone, these posts have been helpful, thanks so much. I emailed CJ at Weber and he recommended the 10A125. He said that it is a big brother to the 10A100T, but very similar otherwise.

I may just get a pair of 10A125 for these two amps (a 5F10 and a 1x10 5E3), 20W, undoped. I feel like the 15W 10A100T might be cutting it close because these amps might push close to that, although I'd love to try one for the sake of learning the differences between the two.

The 10" speakers I have in these amps right now are nice, bright and perfectly balanced in a Bassman circuit and in most blackface circuits. However, in smaller tweeds, which are much more midrangey by design, my current speakers sound amazing but they're too warm.

I've read posts that say the 1028K's are brighter than the Webers, and others that say the opposite, so there might be application-specific differences that affect their behavior. Heck, I'll go with the Webers! I'll let you know how it goes.

11. Mark the Moose

gabasa and David Barnett like this.
  12. Mark the Moose

It sounds like notches and peaks in the upper mids and high end are different, not so much that one is brighter than the other just a different character to the upper range.

gabasa likes this.
  13. nedorama

nedorama Tele-Meister

Love my 10A125's in my Tremolux cab...

gabasa and powerwagonjohn like this.
  14. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I have had both the 10A100 (not T) and the 10A125's. Both are bright on the top if that is what you are looking for. Both are too bright for me, but that is probably just a tone adjust /style thing. "Airy, jangly, lacking bottom" describes them well. I would ascertain either will work for the OP.

That's a very warm tone in the demo post#11. Not what I heard with either Weber and it's probably just due to how Mark the Moose adjusts things or rig I suppose. Sounds good!

gabasa likes this.
  15. caspersvapors

caspersvapors Tele-Meister

yea definitely hear more mids in the 1025

gabasa likes this.
  16. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Ah, yes. I have a 10A125 and a Blue Pup in mine.

gabasa and nedorama like this.
  17. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

E-mail CJ again about the 15W 10A100T handling the power from your circuits. If you aren't feeding it square wave all the time, it might be fine.

gabasa likes this.
  18. gabasa

gabasa Tele-Meister

Will do.

In the video posted above, I like the midrange of the Eminence better, but I realize I can't make an actual decision based on a single YouTube video. I've used Weber vintage series alnico speakers in the past and have liked them. So tough to decide...

19. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

I’ve gone through more 10 inch speakers than I care to admit, including many Webers, and my search ended with the 1028. I cannot stress enough how great this speaker is.

You said you want “clear, jangly, open and airy, 10" with alnico magnets.”

Get the 1028.

gabasa likes this.
  20. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Youtube videos are practically useless for speaker comparisons. I've gone through a lot of 10 inch speakers and the 10A125's are the best there is for that Fender chime and jangle. I've had the Emi's and they are ok but it's like the Webers are next level.

gabasa likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.