101 things the phone has replaced.

NickDG

TDPRI Member
Archival photography . . .

I can open a (real) photo album and see myself, my family, and important events in our lives from sixty years ago and those same photos (properly stored) will still be available to look at hundreds of years from now. Nothing you only digitally photograph on your cell phone will last anywhere near that long.

Most photos taken digitally are never physically printed. This, given the vagaries of the internet, means your photographs have a very short shelf life. And most photos, sometimes thousands of them, simply vanish when your current phone dies. Ok, sure, you can back up your photos. But that's far from archival. If you back up to a photo hosting website - they can suddenly vanish or hold your images for ransom (anyone remember Photobucket?)

The problem with backing up is - no matter the method used, hardware and formats change over time. For instance, try finding a working Zip Drive. Never mind something that will read a floppy disk. Even more modern thumb drives and the hardware to use them will disappear at some point. And the Cloud? Like real clouds there is no forever there either.

Then there is the biggest risk of all. And I call it the big one!

With our photographs, our recent history really, being stored digitally one good magnetic pulse could wipe them all out, worldwide, and in seconds. A magnetic pulse can be man made if someone drops an atomic bomb(s), or can be more natural if a nearby Star explodes. Worse, it's not just photographs sitting on drives that will be gone. Since most books are being digitally printed instead of physically printed they will disappear too. In that respect the recent accumulated knowledge of the entire world is at risk.

When I see old Encyclopedias at flea markets going for pennies I think, if the worst happens, those books will be worth a king's fortune - because it'll be all we have left of ourselves. And if you want your great great grand kids to know what your life looked like have at least some of your photographs printed on photographic stock paper and stored away properly. Or, else, eventually - you'll just be gone too.

gimmeatele

Friend of Leo's
^^^^Same for me! I love the convenience - capability to do phone or text or email pretty much anywhere except Sasquatch's campsite - but I refuse to become a "phone bi*ch." I probably should figure out how to use the calendar function, but I still scribble on a hardcopy wall calendar and I use the "Sticky Notes" on my desktop to plan my week ahead (older boy turned me onto it several Christmases ago). And I eschew social media outside of TDPRI (yes, I have a LinkedIn page and a website and I do Bandmix.com, but not Facebook or Twitter etc.). Gummint and black hat hackers have way too much of my personal data as it is without supplying them with an up-to-the-minute tell-all.

Plus I refuse to cart it around everywhere I go because it's an unwieldy beast (If we can put a man on the moon, why can't they design a "smartphone" that's not a clumsy and fragile PITA?). Most of the time it sits on my desk charging or in the jockey box of my pickup synched up to the hands-free system so I can get ahold of the missus and enquire as to whether she needs me to pick up a loaf of bread on the way home. By contrast, my old fiip phone was far more portable. No exposed fragile glass and buttons to accidentally touch and cause mayhem. I heard Motorola was bringing out an updated version of the Razr, but it retails for north of a grand ... and my G 7 Power was around a hundred.

As for the camera, I have a little $80 Sony digital with a built-in zoom and a HUGE ScanDisk card with enough memory to last me the rest of my days. When the kids visit or we go on vacation, it rides along in a shirt pocket (it's about the same dimensions as a pack of Marlboros). It's been all over the world with me twice, and it keeps me from handing a phone full of personal data to a stranger to snap a group picture so we can all be in it.

For music, I have a $40 MP3 player with close to 30 gigs of music that I rip from CDs on my desktop and then transfer to it. This also means my desktop now has most of my music library on it, so I can crank up the Bose desktop speakers (best $100 I ever spent on music gear) and listen to my heart's content. In the truck, the MP3 player plugs into my Aux jack and I can rock down the highway - even in places where there is no AM or FM signal, such as "Radio Free Wyoming" (one of my favorite potential band names).

Couple years back I got on with Consumer Cellular (this is NOT a paid advertisement). For a "landline" (cell number run through a router and linked to several handsets around the house) and three cells with unlimited talk and text and 10 gigs of data, I pay $85 a month - less than half of what Verizon demanded years ago. If it was just me and a single line, I could get away with under $30. They have the best tech support I've experienced ever (native English speakers all, and never in a hurry), plus a website full of how-to videos for every one of the myraid of phones they offer (at less than Amazon prices too). It's one of the few good things about getting old ...
👍👍👍👍👍👍