101 things the phone has replaced.

RetiredUnit1

Tele-Holic
The HuffPost in 2014: Everything From This 1991 Radio Shack Ad You Can Now Do With Your Phone:

2014-01-16-radioshackad.jpg
I bought the computer.... DOS 1.0, 20MB hard drive, dual floppies, 1MB of memory, but you could only use the first 640K until a year or so later when the expanded memory driver software came out......

Ed Driscoll

Friend of Leo's
I bought the computer.... DOS 1.0, 20MB hard drive, dual floppies, 1MB of memory, but you could only use the first 640K until a year or so later when the expanded memory driver software came out......
I started out on a TRS-80 Model I around 1978, with a converted cassette player to load programs, and (eventually) a Hayes SmartModem to connect with CompuServe and regional bulletin boards. I'm sometimes nostalgic for the "stone knives and bearskins" era of computing. :cool:

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
My phone is only talk/text with no internet plan. I can use wifi to surf online at times at hotspots..

I find the screens/pages too ridiculously small to spend much time browsing. I have a tower PC at home for computer stuff.

None of the jobs I've ever done required a phone in my pocket.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Though I agree on much of the 'bad habits' or social behavior issues cited by others,

I'll chime in with a few really positive features of my smartphone, as a gigging musician ( small stuff & local, but steady):

* note I do just about EVERYTHING on my phone vs. a laptop or desktop ( I have both, but just don't use them like my phone)
I know this stuff is obvious:

- Calendar: for gig dates, $$ made, venues/mileage- really comes in handy for tax time

- Contacts: musician info, venue contact info, + notes/ instructions

- Photo Gallery- great for promo info to send out pictures of my various groups

- Memo: Songlists, Song Ideas, lyrics/chord charts Guitar Student Lesson Logs, Account Passwords; any misc important files/logs...

- email & texting, calling, Voice recognition

- GOOGLE: Besides the browser, I have 1500+ Bookmarks, organized, and of course TDPRI!

- CLOCK

- GPS: invaluable for gigs, plus I drive UBER...

It's pretty mind-blowing as an organizational tool!

Last edited:

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
they've replaced.... aimlessly looking out the windows of cars at the passing view, remembering place names and funny landmarks along the way.. ;)

for passengers and drivers it seems....

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
I started out on a TRS-80 Model I around 1978, with a converted cassette player to load programs, and (eventually) a Hayes SmartModem to connect with CompuServe and regional bulletin boards. I'm sometimes nostalgic for the "stone knives and bearskins" era of computing. :cool:
I don't know; I don't miss making sure the cassette player has the right volume so you don't get cload errors.

Meanwhile, the computer I'm typing this on doesn't recognize "cload" as a word. It's pronounced "see-load."

Ed Driscoll

Friend of Leo's
I don't know; I don't miss making sure the cassette player has the right volume so you don't get cload errors.

Meanwhile, the computer I'm typing this on doesn't recognize "cload" as a word. It's pronounced "see-load."
I know -- I don't actually have any desire to go back (no DAWs, no Photoshop, a black & white monitor, clunky graphics, etc). But you had to start somewhere.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I'm too old for those kinds of problems now but breaking up must really be easy now.

Texting:

Hey this is Joe, why don't you just not come over to my house anymore, ever again? Okay, that's it, no need for a reply, I'll just assume you got this.

Love you! 👩‍❤️‍👨

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Your Doctor Texting:

High This is Doctor Dollar.

Our new phone ap reveals that you have not been paying your insurance premiums. That emergency appendectomy you were scheduled for tomorrow at eight am? We've rescheduled that for March 12, 2023.

Have a great day!

** Please do not respond to this message which was auto generated. If you have questions about your surgery, we can go over them when you arrive at the hospital next March.

ReverendRevolver

Friend of Leo's
Is civility, consideration for others, awareness of one's environment, imagination on the list?
You forgot actually knowing things.

I bet a clever couple hundred hacks of Googles algorithms for searches about changing tires, replacing a light bulb, cleaning a firearm, or driving 30 miles away could lead to overworked ERs and crowded morgues.
I remember having to use a library when I was really young, and having to wait until I got home to a desktop and nobody was on the phone to look up things in the 90s.

The proliferation of the internet to FREAKING EVERYONE coincided with access to it becoming portable. It's a wonder skynet hasn't gotten us all yet.

Even as a communication device with a flashlight, camera, music player, note pad, tuner, calendar and calculator, things would be pretty bloody civilized. The internet portion is where it started to sour. Social media's inclusion, well...... we've all noticed what happened there, right?
I'm too old for those kinds of problems now but breaking up must really be easy now.

Texting:

Hey this is Joe, why don't you just not come over to my house anymore, ever again? Okay, that's it, no need for a reply, I'll just assume you got this.

Love you! 👩‍❤️‍👨
Before texting, I remember a band member complaining about needing to break up with his girlfriend but not wanting to call her. So I did it for him. There's always been ways to have other people do your dirty work. I think I got a speaker off him for it.....

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Engineering tasks are readily available. You can do survey tasks, input geolocation information and map the data easily. Earth observation tools exist for hundreds of applications. I started with machines that had 8K total core memory and filled a room. What exists in smart phones is really only limited by input/output variation. There is enough unused power in phones that all the dedicated cloud based applications could be replaced just by networking phones and using the unused time. Because of personal information it won't happen, but it is possible. Amazing what his changed in my lifetime. The next hundred years of the information age will be amazing.

Are you trying to temp me to throw my phone into the trash can? Ok... if you insist ;) LOL!!! :lol::cool:

gimmeatele

Friend of Leo's
It replaces nothing for me except a house phone or call box, I won't let it, yes the camera is handy, I can use it for music, but I don't I have a camera I love and a music collection I play by other methods, for me it's a communication device and that's it!

Tonetele

Doctor of Teleocity
My father was a butcher, then dug ditches for cables, a technician then manager of an area in communications. He passed in 1996. He would be amazed at what modern electronics can do. This thread could be " what can't you do with a mobile?" Automatic remote cooking, heating, blind control , things we used to do manually.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
It replaces nothing for me except a house phone or call box, I won't let it, yes the camera is handy, I can use it for music, but I don't I have a camera I love and a music collection I play by other methods, for me it's a communication device and that's it!
^^^^Same for me! I love the convenience - capability to do phone or text or email pretty much anywhere except Sasquatch's campsite - but I refuse to become a "phone bi*ch." I probably should figure out how to use the calendar function, but I still scribble on a hardcopy wall calendar and I use the "Sticky Notes" on my desktop to plan my week ahead (older boy turned me onto it several Christmases ago). And I eschew social media outside of TDPRI (yes, I have a LinkedIn page and a website and I do Bandmix.com, but not Facebook or Twitter etc.). Gummint and black hat hackers have way too much of my personal data as it is without supplying them with an up-to-the-minute tell-all.

Plus I refuse to cart it around everywhere I go because it's an unwieldy beast (If we can put a man on the moon, why can't they design a "smartphone" that's not a clumsy and fragile PITA?). Most of the time it sits on my desk charging or in the jockey box of my pickup synched up to the hands-free system so I can get ahold of the missus and enquire as to whether she needs me to pick up a loaf of bread on the way home. By contrast, my old fiip phone was far more portable. No exposed fragile glass and buttons to accidentally touch and cause mayhem. I heard Motorola was bringing out an updated version of the Razr, but it retails for north of a grand ... and my G 7 Power was around a hundred.

As for the camera, I have a little $80 Sony digital with a built-in zoom and a HUGE ScanDisk card with enough memory to last me the rest of my days. When the kids visit or we go on vacation, it rides along in a shirt pocket (it's about the same dimensions as a pack of Marlboros). It's been all over the world with me twice, and it keeps me from handing a phone full of personal data to a stranger to snap a group picture so we can all be in it.

For music, I have a $40 MP3 player with close to 30 gigs of music that I rip from CDs on my desktop and then transfer to it. This also means my desktop now has most of my music library on it, so I can crank up the Bose desktop speakers (best $100 I ever spent on music gear) and listen to my heart's content. In the truck, the MP3 player plugs into my Aux jack and I can rock down the highway - even in places where there is no AM or FM signal, such as "Radio Free Wyoming" (one of my favorite potential band names).

Couple years back I got on with Consumer Cellular (this is NOT a paid advertisement). For a "landline" (cell number run through a router and linked to several handsets around the house) and three cells with unlimited talk and text and 10 gigs of data, I pay $85 a month - less than half of what Verizon demanded years ago. If it was just me and a single line, I could get away with under $30. They have the best tech support I've experienced ever (native English speakers all, and never in a hurry), plus a website full of how-to videos for every one of the myraid of phones they offer (at less than Amazon prices too). It's one of the few good things about getting old ...

teletimetx

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Will there be spandex jackets for the hundreds of thousands of workers in China, Taiwan, Vietnam and Malaysia who assemble all these devices?

It’s not the device, it’s the addictive behavior that the device enables. Human behavior affected by addicted use. Bad side effects, just like many drugs.

It’s not generational and it’s not the device. What, we’re going to burn smart phones like they are books?

Here I am wasting my time. FFS.