101 things the phone has replaced.

Fenderbaum

Tele-Holic
Everything in this photo is now on your phone..

e
g1sn0v1peip51.jpg

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I changed the title because at work we manage both popular mobile platforms. 101+ could be realizing my phone has replaced some awkward diagnostics tools I no longer have to carry.

Amusing read.....
Now, if I only knew how to access all that stuff on my phone.......:(

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Engineering tasks are readily available. You can do survey tasks, input geolocation information and map the data easily. Earth observation tools exist for hundreds of applications. I started with machines that had 8K total core memory and filled a room. What exists in smart phones is really only limited by input/output variation. There is enough unused power in phones that all the dedicated cloud based applications could be replaced just by networking phones and using the unused time. Because of personal information it won't happen, but it is possible. Amazing what his changed in my lifetime. The next hundred years of the information age will be amazing.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
It replaces actually driving a vehicle...for a whole lot of folks.
Yes, I can test cables at my work sites from my phone instead of drive a 176 mile min trip with a tool that was much more expensive than the laptop and phone.
Is civility, consideration for others, awareness of one's environment, imagination on the list?
Less obnoxious than the old camcorder dude waling around at an event. Same for people testing vs talking in meetings and events.

Maybe you are highlighting the parts of parenting and education that can make a difference? That's not a phone's fault. It could be my 3 kids, but to be fair I volunteer in groups with 600+ and 900+ kids respectively. All the time I see "civility, consideration for others, awareness of one's environment, imagination" that beats my generation and others.

Where I work has become weighted heavily with younger people in the past few years. That's a different demographic than where I do volunteering. We see clearly and even quantify the "civility, consideration for others, awareness of one's environment, imagination".

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
All the time I see "civility, consideration for others, awareness of one's environment, imagination" that beats my generation and others.
Interesting that you made my statement into a generational one, when that was not at all the intent, but rather just to condemn this technological "progress" for very true societal ills, or at least highly prevelant manifestation of symptoms, regardless of age

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
Interesting that you made my statement into a generational one, when that was not at all the intent, but rather just to condemn this technological "progress" for very true societal ills, or at least highly prevelant manifestation of symptoms, regardless of age
The blowback or resistance seems very much from some generations and if not that classic what many call Luddite.

The two of us can't do much about the around 7+ billion active smart phones in the world unless we can bring back lamplighters and lectors to our municipalities. It remains that most all of us are reasonably if not pretty good about the issues you bring up. I'm going to keep guessing the not doing a good job are same dullards and rude boys (and girls) that were present in past generations.

Some technological progress surely deserves and usually gets condemnation soon or later. Maybe our misunderstanding or difference is I try hard to pick reasonable fights or catch myself if it looks like I'm tilting windmills.

ndcaster

Doctor of Teleocity
attention spans
outdoor activities
interior lives
practical skills
dinner conversations
etc

oh and I just talked to a process engineer at a factory in Bremen, who said (prohibited) phone usage on the floor lines cost a couple fingers this month

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
The great thing about the modern-day phone is that you come to depend on it for almost everything in your daily life. Then one day, there's a prowler at the door, you dial 911, the phone rings, then, you notice a little window that just popped up saying, please be patient, we are updating your browser for a more wonderful user experience. Please stand by.