1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

100 Watt Solid state Amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Allan66, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

Hiwatt G100R112.

2. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

Watts is a measure of electrical output, but what you hear is air being moved by the speaker and that is measured in decibels. So whichever amp you go for, as a general rule of thumb, the bigger the speaker the more air gets moved the louder it will seem. A 100 watts through a 6 inch speaker is not very loud compared to 100 watts through a 12 inch. A single 12 inch will not seem as loud as two 12s or a 15 inch. That is assuming that all else is equal. It's not a hard and fast rule, and there are exceptions, but hope that helps you decide.

3. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

I fully endorse the Epiphone Triggerman amps. I prefer the 60w 1x12 combo but the 100w head which I have also owned is great. The clean channel is absolutely stellar, powerful and inspiring to play through. Very, very Fendery with a nice, slightly spongy response. No problems competing with loud drummers and takes pedals well. The dirt channel is not as good (LED clipping circuit) but is still very usable. Heaps of back panel features too. It does have some built in DSP FX - they are time based (delay/chorus/flange) and not distortion/amp modelling stuff and it also has independent digital reverb. Both of them can be turned off and the sound quality of the FX is extremely good. I always use the delay setting to create an EVH-type Echoplex repeat. The down side is the pots are soldered straight to the PC board, so you do have to be careful not to bang the knobs up too much or you can crack the joints. Checking the tightness of the pot nuts is helpful to make sure there is no flexing of the joints. I have resoldered a couple of mine but the amp is still running strong after four years.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  4. Lowbassnotes

Lowbassnotes Friend of Leo's

Yeah those red knob Beta amps are big fun for sludge tones. Some real crazy crispy distortion. I wouldn't mind having one around just to blow out the cobwebs once in a while. Seems the supply of them is drying up at this point as the sludge heads are hoarding them.

5. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

This is a great point to keep in mind. For example, some of the Peavey Bandit's from the 1980's and early 90's that were.....what? about 75 watts? The ones with the Scorpion speakers could be very loud and easily keep up on stage with your typical club rock and show bands.

6. tomtheguitarguy

tomtheguitarguy Tele-Meister

Quilter MicroPro 200 or Quilter Aviator . . .

7. JohnSS

JohnSS Tele-Meister

Roland JC-120, Peavey XXL, H&K Vortex, Kustom Tuck & Roll, Acoustic 370

8. drmcclainphd

drmcclainphd Tele-Afflicted

+1 on the Fender. But for half the money you can get two Frontman 65Rs. Same clean channel, same super-loud speakers. Just one can keep up with most 100-120 watt amps. You can use one when it suits (and save your arm some strain), or stack them, pre-out to power-in. I sit them matched side by side (well, a ways apart) and use them with a stereo output multi-f/x pedal. Can't get the stereo effects right otherwise.

Or look into the Yamaha "Hundred" B-212, their answer to the Dual Reverb. It's got enough punch to double as a bass amp.

Sure, these and many others have f/x built in. So don't use them. Or, if like the Fenders, the f/x is a separate channel, you get a second channel and you just don't have to turn the f/x on if you don't want them. But when time comes and you want some reverb (and who doesn't occasionally) it's nice to have good old fashioned spring reverbs like the Fenders'.

9. qblue

qblue Tele-Afflicted

I have two of the recommended amps mentioned.

I have a Stage Lead, one of the so-called Rivera-era Fender SS amps from 1984.

I also have a Marshall MOSFET, bought in 1987.

Both are 100 watts and clear as bells. The Stage Lead has really accurate Fender clean and less spectacular gain channel sounds. The Marshall MOSFET has a loud clean and a gritty dirty gain sound like a Marshall should, at crunch volumes. I did not want the problems with tubes, as a carefree bachelor. I still use 'em depending on the type of music. At this time I'll use the Fender more often. But if you can find one, I would highly recommend either of them. Both are really loud, when you need it, but sound full at lower volumes(~3-4)

10. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

Trouble is that the 65R has been discontinued so you would have to go look on the second hand market. I was shopping for a 65R after they were discontinued, but the only one I came across had it's guts shaken out (technical term:lol:) by a tyro who had used it with the gain and gain volume, plus every other knob, turned up full trying to emulate a Marshall.
    When I asked Fender why they had dropped it they replied that the Mustang 2 was it's replacement. Would not be surprised if the whole Frontman series disappeared as they cater for the modeling amp market.
    I am hanging onto my 25R and 212R, they are great clean amps.

11. tlimbert65

tlimbert65 Tele-Afflicted

I had a recent-model Bandit, but sold it and replaced it with the new Special Chorus 212. I like it a lot better. Better sound, more sound, fewer bells and whistles, and for some strange reason, lighter. And as a bonus it doesn't have that stupid metal faceplate that rattles at certain notes.

12. surfco

surfco Tele-Afflicted

Randall RG80.

13. vernon

vernon Tele-Meister

Quilter Aviator +1

14. highwayman

highwayman Former Member

Yes.Very good amp with proper speakers

15. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Stage 160 or cyber twin ?

But do you want Fender tones or Brit??

16. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

Fender FM212r now discontinued, loud and great clean. The new Champion 100. Its smaller than the FM212r and I don't know how it stacks up, but I'm keeping my FM212r. It has a jangle sound that my Twin Reverb doesn't have.

17. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

"Fender FM212r now discontinued"
    I know the 65R is discontinued, but Fender is still advertising the 212R (and the 25R, and the 15). The 212R is still in shops here in Aus, so I assume it is elsewhere. Have a look at the comments on the Frontman 212R club strand.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.