100 thousand miles for gas engines

Blrfl

Friend of Leo's
I my experience it is not the "engine" that causes the car to fail after 100k miles, various electronic components, wear items and other stuff start causing problems after about 10 years.

And these days for the most part they aren't cheap fixes.

They're not, but those repairs are fewer and further-between than on cars built 40 or 50 years ago and four or five times more-expensive because of inflation. Every failure has hidden costs from loss of use, like towing a dead car to the shop and having to burn a day of vacation to deal with it. On that front, I'll take a single $500 repair over five that cost $100 any day of the week.

When some of the Rube Goldberg emissions systems from the 1970s and 1980s failed, you often ended up with a car that wasn't really drivable and paid someone at the shop for a lot of labor time to crawl through all of the tubing with a vacuum gauge to figure out the fault. Now, if there's a sensor failure that isn't critical to running the engine (i.e., not the the crank or cam position sensors or a fuel injector), the computer fills in reasonable defaults, the car continues to be usable, the check-engine light goes on and the mechanic can plug in and have the computer burp out what it thinks is wrong in five minutes.