1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

$100 Pawn Shop pickup

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by widefault, Jan 23, 2021.

1. widefault

widefault Tele-Meister

It's almost exactly what I see in my head when someone says pawn shop guitar. Either this or a $300 Squier Affinity.

[​IMG]

Made in Japan Tele-Star, probably a Teisco or similar.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On/Off rocker switches and a switch for serial/parallel on the pickups, taped down when I got it, but luckily it peeled off with little residue

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Surprisingly, plays good but the action is a little high for me. Switches work, pots aren't scratchy, and it is in overall good shape for the age. Needs strings and a setup, but it's not like I can do much there except lower the bridge to get the action a little better. Maybe I can tilt the bridge, not sure if it's screwed down or just held in place by string pressure. Might be able to get intonated at least on the E strings.

61fury, joe_cpwe, jayyj and 13 others like this.
  2. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

That has to be the crudest vibrato setup I’ve ever seen. Love the guitar! How do those pickups sound?

crazydave911 likes this.
  3. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

That's pretty cool....a bargain.

uriah1 and crazydave911 like this.
  4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Great wall hanger.....
    I'd consider using the pickups in a little better guitar.....even a Monoprice or something. Good luck. ;)

TeleTucson likes this.
  5. Suproman

Suproman Tele-Holic

You could shim the neck to lower the action.

TwoBear, crazydave911 and nojazzhere like this.
  6. MickM

MickM Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

We had a small K-Mart type store near us when I was a kid (1967) called Town and Country. They carried the Tele-Star brand and Gregory amps. (my 1st amp was a Gregory Mark I) Not trying to jack your thread but I thought they sort of went together.
    [​IMG]

7. widefault

widefault Tele-Meister

The bridge just needs to be lowered for the action, plenty of adjustment room, although too low and the strings will hit the pickups.

Pickups are good, but typical Japanese stuff. Single coils with a giant cover.

crazydave911 likes this.
  8. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

If you take the pickguard off, I hope you’ll post photos of the pickups’ undersides. Those look similar, but not exactly the same, to the pickup a friend gave me years ago from an early Japanese solidbody, which I ended up using to electrify the pictured old Silvertone archtop.

upload_2021-1-23_20-33-32.jpeg

It worked pretty well. If you zoom in you might be able to see that the area around the screw “pole pieces” is indented differently. Inside the flat, shallow chrome box was a winding around a bar magnet, in the area not under the “pole pieces.” But it sounded warm and detailed and had reasonable output. The plugged-in sound was rounder, nicer and more tonally even than the acoustic sound, so it did what I needed.

9. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

What I would do,I use old credit cards, a damn good use for 'em lol.
    Those are usually very resonant, little known factoid. At the end of WWII we gave the Japanese every PT boat in the Pacific, ChrisCraft and such mostly with airplane engines. They carefully dismantled them storing and stacking the wood. What kind of wood? Primo South American mahogany 1" thick with solid members (braces and ribs) much thicker stock. A great deal of those boats came back here in Teisco guitars :). Just maybe replace or rework the bridge and forget the trems, the best were awful except for these

https://www.guitarfetish.com/Vintage-Style-Surface-Mount-Whammy-Bar-Hofner-Vibrola-style_p_839.html

They move very little, just shimmer and hold tuning well :)

Congrats :D

Dave

TwoBear and mexicanyella like this.
  10. chauncy

chauncy Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

from my parts drawer.

Attached Files:

crazydave911 likes this.
  11. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

You should see this guitar that fender made where they just put the bridge on a hinge.

Chiogtr4x, goonie, MickM and 3 others like this.
  12. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

13. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

It's basically a Mustang vibrato, flipped upside down:

[​IMG]

crazydave911 likes this.
  14. widefault

widefault Tele-Meister

Close but not quite. Pole pieces are smaller diameter, only two mounting holes, and the part without the pole pieces is a little larger.

crazydave911 and chauncy like this.
  15. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

The guitar and amp set need a playdate.

crazydave911 likes this.
  16. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Holic

$300 Affinity, surely not from a same pawn shop?

crazydave911 likes this.
  17. widefault

widefault Tele-Meister

This shop, no, but way over priced Squiers are a staple of most pawn shops. This shop in particular has been very good to me, especially if they don't have an exact model number or it doesn't show up in their computers. Then they just kind of guess on price, which usually ends up pretty low because they also only pay about 30% of what they think it will sell for. So in this case, whoever pawned it probably got about $30.

crazydave911 likes this.
  18. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Friend of Leo's

I guess Green Bay pawnshops are on their game when they research value of guitars being pawned.

Here in my neck of the woods, if they don't know what they're looking at, they'll search a minute or 2 online, and if they can't find the item, they'll guess its worth.

I've been VERY lucky to find some AMAZING pawnshop deals consistently over the last 15+ years.

Here's what $100 got me in at pawnshops in the last 2 yrs.

'09 Fender Highway 1 Honey Blonde Tele:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

'88 Carvin DC127

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I paid $100 at a pawnshop for this Teisco 'tulip' a year and a half ago. I never even removed the pawnshop price tag from the headstock, thinking of it kinda like the price tag hanging off of Minnie Pearl's show hats. The tag reads $149 or so, but they took my $100 offer for it. It plays ok, but it's pretty much just a decoration.
    IMG_20191013_101026836.jpg

IMG_20191101_192239166.jpg

At the 'other end' of the Teisco offerings from the 60's, are guitars like my three-pickup Teisco Del Rey, the current value of which would have bought TEN of my tulip Teiscos.
    IMG_20201214_131729022.jpg

IMG_20201214_131737496.jpg

crazydave911 and Chiogtr4x like this.
  20. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Not sure if I'm remembering right, but In the early 1970's I went to a boarding HS, and became absolutely fascinated by the guys playing acoustic guitars in the folk group- the playing and the guitars.

One of them had ( I think a one pickup, but not sure) sunburst Teisco 'tulip' electric that he stripped down to bare wood maybe his Junior year and my Sophomore year, when I started to TRY to play the acoustic.

I BEGGED him to let me try to play it thru what I remember being a BF Bandmaster stack. When he finally let me, it was magic!

I remember him playing ( over and over, as he was just learning to play too!) a few chord progressions that years later I would realize were:
    Grand Funk's version of
    "Gimme Shelter," and the Allman Brothers " You Don't Love Me"

* sometimes you just remember moments!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    crazydave911 and John Backlund like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.