100 Models... but only one needed?

Blrfl

Friend of Leo's
I've never in my life found a useful preset on digital modeling gear. Ironically, most YouTube reviews only look at the presets.

Ain't that the truth. On mine, a bunch of presets turned out to be hidden gems after a minute or two of minor adjustments, usually to the levels.

On the other hand, somebody developing the presets for a product like this is taking a shot in the dark because the consumer could plug literally anything into the input. The Dire Straits patch might have been tuned up on a Strat but will sound awful with humbuckers. Similarly, the crunchy 1970s patch might be the the other way around.

And, at the same time, an amp that doesn't have presets comes pre-set wherever the controls are when it comes out of the box. Nobody bats an eyelash at the idea that it's going to require some dialing in to get something good out of it. But I guess it's a good excuse to bag on the digital stuff. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

TDPRI

Retired
Even after all these years I'm learning. My wife's old Win 10 PC can load FUSE (my Mac can't) and I have started using that. I've narrowed it down to 3 or 4 basic clean amps - DR, PR, Twin, Bassman and saved them in the first 4 slots. And importantly when I start the amp I'm in '65 Deluxe Reverb. I've tweaked the settings and that's helped, too.

Unfortunately, this Mustang III is version 1 and has some real noise issues. It's too old to do anything about it and for my office use it's not really an issue. It just grates on me. I've tried the factory reset a couple of times which was the usual first step toward correcting this issue.

It's not the dreaded "fizz" but it's very loud hissing with some presets - most noticeably the Princeton Reverb preset. I put a strong gate on the PR amp model and that's really helped.

Cheers.

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Even after all these years I'm learning. My wife's old Win 10 PC can load FUSE (my Mac can't) and I have started using that. I've narrowed it down to 3 or 4 basic clean amps - DR, PR, Twin, Bassman and saved them in the first 4 slots. And importantly when I start the amp I'm in '65 Deluxe Reverb. I've tweaked the settings and that's helped, too.

Unfortunately, this Mustang III is version 1 and has some real noise issues. It's too old to do anything about it and for my office use it's not really an issue. It just grates on me. I've tried the factory reset a couple of times which was the usual first step toward correcting this issue.

It's not the dreaded "fizz" but it's very loud hissing with some presets - most noticeably the Princeton Reverb preset. I put a strong gate on the PR amp model and that's really helped.

Cheers.
I think one of the effects you can use is a noise gate, maybe stack that in to your models to quiet it down. It can give the undesired japanese monster movie effect if you have to use too much.. but, it might be good enough on light.

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Everyone probably needs just a few presets, but you will like different ones than other owners like. With 100 presets hopefully all buyers can find a few they like.

^^^This is it. The zillion presets show you the capabilities of the amp. Like most folks, you land on two or three that do what you want and you fine tune those. This is normal.

I found that the '57 Deluxe, '59 Bassman, and '65 Deluxe Reverb voices, with just a bit of reverb, could be dialed in exactly the way I wanted. I had no interest in comparing them to the real amps, but they were the baseline voices that worked for me.

I regret selling my MIII when I moved from IN to NY. It really was a capable amp that sounded good when dialed in.

TDPRI

Retired
The "intheblues" website has a complete Mustang/Fuse Archive with free downloads of the final PC & Mac Fuse v2.71 apps and dozens of presets that the guy there had created for his Mustang. His presets are for the V2 Mustang amps and many of them will work for my V1 amp.

Here's a link if anyone is still using a Mustang V2 amp:

Some of them sound very good - though still noisy on my amp - so, I'm good now. And, as I mentioned (and Randy suggested) a noise gate that's built into the presets helps on those extra noisy Princeton and Champ amp models.

For my purposes now this is working out great and my initial frustration is gone.

PS. In general, the old Mustang III amp is better value for money than it's really cheap price.

NHFlyCaster

Tele-Meister
Fuse is good for backing up what's loaded in your Fender Mustang (mine is a II V.2), then use Remuda on an android to deep dive and tweak your settings.

I still have some issues with presets that still sound bad on day 2. On day 1, it sounds ok, go back another day and what happened? That's awful :) maybe the amp tone controls should be set to 5, 7, or 10, and get the changes from the guitar.

ASATKat

Poster Extraordinaire
Loving my Katana. I use it like a one trick pony in that I I get a tone I stick with it.
The difference is there are many one trick ponies in the amp. So again, I dial something in and I use it for my base or core tone for the whole show. Hands on with delays, verbs and effects, I'm comfortable tweaking that much on the fly. And I KISS.
keep it stupid simple.

TheCheapGuitarist

Tele-Holic
Loving my Katana. I use it like a one trick pony in that I I get a tone I stick with it.
The difference is there are many one trick ponies in the amp. So again, I dial something in and I use it for my base or core tone for the whole show. Hands on with delays, verbs and effects, I'm comfortable tweaking that much on the fly. And I KISS.
keep it stupid simple.
I have a Zoom G5n, and I really only use one amp model: a Marshall Super Lead 100. I sometimes toy around with the other simulations because it's fun, so I'm glad they are there. But when it comes to playing a gig, I use the Marshall for everything. And who knows, maybe a few months from now I will get tired of the Marshall simulation and move on to something different.

bowman

Friend of Leo's
Nobody uses all that stuff. It’s there as a selling point, so that there’s at least something that every player might want. I have a lot of modeling devices, from 100 watt amps to headphone amps, and 80% of the presets are absolute crap to my ears. There are things now, like the Spark amp for example, where you can play with the entire signal chain of the preset - that makes some of the things I hated into usable sounds.

ASATKat

Poster Extraordinaire
I have a Zoom G5n, and I really only use one amp model: a Marshall Super Lead 100. I sometimes toy around with the other simulations because it's fun, so I'm glad they are there. But when it comes to playing a gig, I use the Marshall for everything. And who knows, maybe a few months from now I will get tired of the Marshall simulation and move on to something different.
I play on the Twanger Central Backing Tracks so I take my M2 100 to its limits. On the Lead mode I can go from a clean Peter Green Jumping At the Shadows blues tone all the way to screaming SRV Voodoo Child just by tweaking the gain, don't even have to adjust the eq. I've never owned an amp that can do that with just one gain knob turn. I love doing that kind of stuff. This amp makes it easy.

Last edited:

ASATKat

Poster Extraordinaire
Everything IS in the fingers. Tone, lick, story. That's why I have minimal effects. Great guitar, great amp, then it's up to the fingers to sound good.

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
I don't usually use any factory presets in my modeler. I have a four of five amp /cab models and a few variations on each for EQ and gain. That covers almost everything I want to play and my small guitar collection.

chris m.

Doctor of Teleocity
Everything IS in the fingers. Tone, lick, story. That's why I have minimal effects. Great guitar, great amp, then it's up to the fingers to sound good.
I understand the sentiment, I really do. Julian Lage is a great example of this school of guitar. However, at the other end of the spectrum you have players like Robert Fripp, Adrian Belew, Johnny Marr, and The Edge, who rely heavily upon lots of effects to produce a huge array of sounds that often sound more like a synthesizer than a guitar.

Between those two ends of the spectrum you have a range of typical electric guitar players who use things like chorus, echo, overdrive, wah, autowah, univibe, flanger, fuzz to color and alter their sound to varying degrees, but where most of the time it is clearly recognizable as being guitar, and for much of the time they are emitting a relatively unaltered sound.

I'm closer to the few effects/no effects range of the spectrum, but that's because the music I play allows me to do that. If I were in a Smiths cover band, I would need quite an array of effects to pull that off, whether modeled or analog.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
But here's the take away. I don't need the 100 Pre-Sets and wonder who does? Every time I turn on the amp I get pre-set 0 and it's some horrible, loud, distortion fest with a bad echo and I work as fast as I can to get to #22 which is just a simple Fender with reverb. So, I found an old manual and learned to make pre-set 0 into a nice '65 Deluxe Reverb with a little reverb and got it saved with a new name. Of course, that's the only "model" I use. Everyday. Just that one. Who's idea was it that an amp needs 100 pre-sets, and crazy names and crazy sounds? I guess I just need one decent small amp like a Princeton Reverb Reissue - I'd even go for a Tonemaster version if one existed.

I guess I'm just too old to get it. Do you guys value many of the 100 pre-sets on Fender's modeling amps?
Not most of us. They are selling amps to kids for all the gadgets. Kid mindsets get sucked in to it.

ASATKat

Poster Extraordinaire
I understand the sentiment, I really do. Julian Lage is a great example of this school of guitar. However, at the other end of the spectrum you have players like Robert Fripp, Adrian Belew, Johnny Marr, and The Edge, who rely heavily upon lots of effects to produce a huge array of sounds that often sound more like a synthesizer than a guitar.

Between those two ends of the spectrum you have a range of typical electric guitar players who use things like chorus, echo, overdrive, wah, autowah, univibe, flanger, fuzz to color and alter their sound to varying degrees, but where most of the time it is clearly recognizable as being guitar, and for much of the time they are emitting a relatively unaltered sound.

I'm closer to the few effects/no effects range of the spectrum, but that's because the music I play allows me to do that. If I were in a Smiths cover band, I would need quite an array of effects to pull that off, whether modeled or analog.

I'm talking about Julian, who is zero affected by modulation and time effects.
So gets me to feel you agree with what I said.
BTW, I dig those effects, used wisely. I've never been a fan of The Edge and U2. I prefer Julian.

Brent Hutto

Tele-Holic
Bill Frisell uses or has used just about every kind of effect or pedal or gadget you could imagine.

Julian Lage uses not much besides a really nice guitar and a really nice amp.

The styles of music they play aren't miles apart but their way of going about it are very different. I have a lot of time for each of them but happen to connect with Frisell's music much moreso than Lage's. I don't think that's because Bill uses loopers and delays, those are just the tools he chooses.