100 Models... but only one needed?

TDPRI

Retired
I've owned so many guitar amps. Everything from a 2-12 Silverton to an all original 1965 BF Princeton Reverb - with a number of VOX and Fender amps big and little packed in there along the way. Over the past 5-years I've scaled back as my playing has also scaled back. I sold so much stuff and that's fine because I truly had too much really good (expensive) gear yet my playing was really bad to non-existent.

I'm left now, with one partscaster Tele and a Fender Mustang III (Version 1, no less). I've been working on my playing and spending time on the amp every day.

But here's the take away. I don't need the 100 Pre-Sets and wonder who does? Every time I turn on the amp I get pre-set 0 and it's some horrible, loud, distortion fest with a bad echo and I work as fast as I can to get to #22 which is just a simple Fender with reverb. So, I found an old manual and learned to make pre-set 0 into a nice '65 Deluxe Reverb with a little reverb and got it saved with a new name. Of course, that's the only "model" I use. Everyday. Just that one.

Who's idea was it that an amp needs 100 pre-sets, and crazy names and crazy sounds? I guess I just need one decent small amp like a Princeton Reverb Reissue - I'd even go for a Tonemaster version if one existed.

I guess I'm just too old to get it. Do you guys value many of the 100 pre-sets on Fender's modeling amps?

TomBrokaw

Tele-Meister
I've actually tried to pick one of the various models I have available, whether via plugin or my Vypyr, and make it work. The latter has 16 presets, 4x4, which I've endeavored to use as 4 4-channel amps. Basically clean, crunch, lead, lead w/fx.

Otherwise, I get lost in options. I considered selling my Vypyr for a Bandit for this reason, but since I'm strictly an office player/recording/hobbyist, I figured I might as well learn to use what I have.

I don't think there's anything wrong with this approach, especially if you only need one or two sounds. With these cheap amps, if you get something you like, great, and you can always try more things.

codamedia

Poster Extraordinaire
Do you guys value many of the 100 pre-sets on Fender's modeling amps?

I use a Helix... IIRC it has 1024 pre-set slots... 🙂

I use just 3 presets for each of my guitars... but that's my work flow.
Others may need the full amount of slots, who am I to judge.

As for the pre-sets themselves.... IMO, none will ever work for me. I just create my own.

chris m.

Doctor of Teleocity
I use a Helix... IIRC it has 1024 pre-set slots... 🙂

I use just 3 presets for each of my guitars... but that's my work flow.
Others may need the full amount of slots, who am I to judge.

As for the pre-sets themselves.... IMO, none will ever work for me. I just create my own.
Being able to customize the sound to get as close as possible to what you want is critical. If you can't modify presets then
you're probably not going to be too happy at the end of the day. Even if you can modify presets you still might not be happy....some people are fine with the sounds they can pull out of digital modelers, others aren't.

LOSTVENTURE

Friend of Leo's
I'm using a 20 year old Vox Tone Lab, primarily with four basic setting. And that's what I keep coming back to after trying pretty much everything available to me.

Blrfl

Friend of Leo's
The hundred presets are the appetizer menu. I'm not eating the fried wiggly squid or the spinach-artichoke dip, but the stuffed jalapenos look interesting. Not everybody likes the same thing, but the squid probably appeals to somebody.

If the amp came with all metal presets, country players wouldn't find it appealing even though it's probably quite capable of doing what they want. The idea was always that buyers would arrange it to taste.

burntfrijoles

Doctor of Teleocity
Who's idea was it that an amp needs 100 pre-sets, and crazy names and crazy sounds?
The manufacturer presets usually suck gonads and no, you don’t need 100 presets.
More importantly you don’t need 100 amp models. When I owned the Helix, there didn’t seem to be much difference between many of the models. It was splitting the finest of hairs. I thought of it as a marketing gimmick.
Further I don’t think the pedal models are worth a toenail.
I’m much happier with the Iridium. It doesn’t try to do too much: a Fender, Vox and Marshall. I think UAFX has the right idea with their new series, emulating one model per pedal.

Papanate

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Who's idea was it that an amp needs 100 pre-sets, and crazy names and crazy sounds? I guess I just need one decent small amp like a Princeton Reverb Reissue - I'd even go for a Tonemaster version if one existed.

I guess I'm just too old to get it. Do you guys value many of the 100 pre-sets on Fender's modeling amps?
They just do it to get a perceived value - I have a Helix - I use 4 amps in our sets - and 3 amps in our original sets - I don't use the hundreds a variations on each amp - there's no point - same thing with the IR packages - the last one I bought from OwnHammer had 300 variations - it was stupid - but in reality if Fender only gave you 4 or 5 amps - the average person would probably feel like they were overpaying.

codamedia

Poster Extraordinaire
The # of presets available is to provide convenience. Use as many as you need, the rest are simply backup and storage locations without the need to re-load the machine. Complaining about the number of preset locations is like complaining the new tablet or phone comes with too much storage space.

The # of amp models is to increase market potential. No company expects one person to need/use all the amps models available, they just want to make sure every potential customer has an option that suits them... otherwise they won't be a potential customer ;)

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
I've owned so many guitar amps. Everything from a 2-12 Silverton to an all original 1965 BF Princeton Reverb - with a number of VOX and Fender amps big and little packed in there along the way. Over the past 5-years I've scaled back as my playing has also scaled back. I sold so much stuff and that's fine because I truly had too much really good (expensive) gear yet my playing was really bad to non-existent.

I'm left now, with one partscaster Tele and a Fender Mustang III (Version 1, no less). I've been working on my playing and spending time on the amp every day.

But here's the take away. I don't need the 100 Pre-Sets and wonder who does? Every time I turn on the amp I get pre-set 0 and it's some horrible, loud, distortion fest with a bad echo and I work as fast as I can to get to #22 which is just a simple Fender with reverb. So, I found an old manual and learned to make pre-set 0 into a nice '65 Deluxe Reverb with a little reverb and got it saved with a new name. Of course, that's the only "model" I use. Everyday. Just that one.

hook up your old laptop to the amp and wipe out the presets and put in the sounds you want and then when it fires up, it goes straight to 'fender twin' or deluxe or whatever. When I gigged with my mustang III (v2) I had about 13-14 different setups and the pedal. on our set list, I had the preset, it took SECONDS to be totally set... and it was better than my old setup because I could vary things more without more work.

I sat with my son one evening and we set up his and after a couple of hours, he is set for YEARS.

Twang-ineer

Tele-Meister
No, I think that very few musicians do. One core sound is what I think most experienced players use.

Marketing is the main reason for any feature set really. The perceived value of dozens of amps and hundreds of presets sells units. If you are a beginner player trying to sound like some iconic recording, it is easy to think that more features will get you there faster.... maybe it does? I would not know, I was a beginner a long time ago, I had a Bandit. Now I understand the blessing that was.

I have said this here before, but whenever I get a new sound toy, anything that is intended to emulate an amp, I always just try to make it sound like my HRD "in the room". I dial it to taste from there.

My use case for multiple preset slots is when I am taking that one dialed in preset then setting eq curves for various loudness settings, speaker configurations, FRFR or headphones. I may do 4 variations of the same basic sound for output configurations, then maybe three levels of "dirt". So max 12 slots, of basically the same thing with minor corrections.

The reason I do this is I have pedal boards that I may want to move from rig to rig. So everything feels consistent. Whenever I upgrade DSP or change emulators, it is usually the reverbs that I am chasing. I tend to prefer that in any one setup there is on one AD/DA conversion. So changing reverbs means setting up a new multi-effects unit.

Also worth noting, I use a single IR for everything. Yes, just one IR that I bought years ago, it helps massively with my workflow and piece of mind when something feels "off", I have immediately eliminated that .

Because I have the time, and some one might find it useful....

Oh, I sold every overly complex modeler that I had, they all required a PC to really use. I went the simple UI route.

Presently I have one modeler/Multi effects at my studio desk - Zoom G6 - It is the ease of workflow that I dig, everything from the front panel. I work in a Zoom R8 portastudio, no DAW - no PC in this room.

I have one modeler board by the sofa (downstairs LR). Joyo Tauren pedal into a Zoom G3XN into a Mooer Radar for IR and EQ - also has a headphones out, no speaker in this room. My office rig is a small pedalboard Joyo Tauren - Joyo TaiChi - Joyo Baatsin into Flamma Preamp - Flamma Cab Sim - Donner Mixer for headphones out, also no speaker in the room.

On a kitchen type rolling cart on the second floor I have a pair of KRK nearfields, H&K Ampman as a amp sim going into a Ampero II for IR/EQ and in the I also have a loop switcher that can switch in any of the 4 Vox Nutube pedals that I have, when I want a different "amp". The cart is set up with interconnect loops per "level" of the cart to swap in up to two boards without rewiring anything. If I hear it through headphones or nearfields, it is always just the one IR that I use. This modeller has the 4 preset saves, Headphones, Nearfields set at "the wife is sleeping" levels, Nearfields set at "loud enough to enjoy before 9PM" then a setting for "I'm alone in the house and wanna see stuff shake".

The flip side of that is, I have a Leo Jaymz G1501 rechargeable mico amp (wooden construction BTW) this has a Zoom G1 Four held on the back by velcro. After bypassing the internal tone stack and DSP I modified the amp with a $12 15W stereo amp, now the thing roars for something you can hold in the palm of your hand, destroys the Katana mini and others like it. I have also done the same treatment to a larger Blackstar Debut, it was a very enjoyable amp before, but it is stellar. .

I also have "regular" amps set up around the house, but each one of those is its own thing, and kinda outside of this conversation, but basically most everything sound like a Fender clean channel into a pretty neutral cab.

So... just because, this may be the only IR pack you ever need to buy.

I still fool around with other IR's but I am Married to my MB Cab Blend 1 IR
From the Manual - This IR is a blend of a few of my different cabs in an effort to get an evenly balanced IR to use as an all around basic IR.
It truly is a one size fits all IR.

Well that was long....

BrazHog

Tele-Meister

I assume all those presets are for people to demo at the guitar shop. They were designed to show off the more extreme settings you can get from the amp, or some caricature of the "most popular" sounds the makers of the amp hope will reel in the suckers, I mean, the esteemed customers.

Once you buy the amp, then you make your own presets. (Or preset in your case.)

Good luck with your playing!

TheCheapGuitarist

Tele-Holic
I've never in my life found a useful preset on digital modeling gear. Ironically, most YouTube reviews only look at the presets.

I program my own settings and only use 2 or 3 sounds, total.

Tele-friend

Tele-Afflicted
make pre-set 0 into a nice '65 Deluxe Reverb with a little reverb and got it saved with a new name. Of course, that's the only "model" I use. Everyday. Just that one.
I have a Fender LT25 modeller amp and what you wrote is exactly the same for me. I only use the Deluxe reverb model with a bit of reverb, in my case for a pedal platform.

ClashCityTele

Friend of Leo's
I have so many pedals I don't need an amp with loads of presets.
My favourite amps at the mo' are a Vox MV50 AC & an Orange Tiny Terror.
Less programming & more playing.