1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

10 years of decent sound vs 1 year of tonal nirvana?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by DrPepper, Nov 14, 2020.

1. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

The tubes in my amp supposedly have a 10000 hour lifespan. But, they sound fantastic after being on for 20 hours or so.

Do I just leave the amp on for around 2.5 hours a day or go balls to the wall and leave the amp on 24/7? I do play several hours a day if it is on.

Eff it, I'll just get a new set of tubes next year, there's only 2 for crying out loud...

2. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I would not leave my tube amp on for 24 hours- I would just play it as normal and let time do its thing

Alamo and Cali Dude like this.
  3. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

I vote buy new tubes also, stimulate the economy and keep the demand for new tubes as high as possible.

4. MuddyWolf

MuddyWolf Tele-Meister

Go for the best first. If you got 2 bags of weed and one is bud and one is shake, smoke the buds first. You could be dead next year.

dan40, Imnotarobot, Axis29 and 6 others like this.
  5. DrPepper

I wish you could hear the difference a 20 hour warm up makes with this amp.

6. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

What kind of amp? My 5E5 would singe it's own tweed from heat off the transformer and rectifier tube in 7 hours or less. I owned a Peavey C30 that you could nearly fry an egg on after 2 hours.

But my AB165 bassman, my Fender 75, and all the 15w and less stuff I've owned I'd think about it. The Bugera might be on right now. For all I know my kids use it for a nightlight..... ;)

I'd say tone optimization is goal, what's a pair of your favorite el34s/6L6s run? $70? A year for tone that makes you drool on your own shoes while playing? Yea, do it.

Just like @MuddyWolf said, nobody's smoking the shake first by choice.

Richie Cunningham likes this.
  7. elpico

elpico Tele-Afflicted

My first thought would be "what's so broken in my amp that it takes 20 hours to warm up and how soon can I get it fixed?"

tfarny, Alamo, BobbyZ and 6 others like this.
  8. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

If the tubes need to be that hot to sound good, I'd be more worried about starting a fire.

Cali Dude likes this.
  9. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Could the bias be running the amp too cool? Maybe a tech test and correction could save you 19.5 hours each time you turn it on?

:)

Cali Dude likes this.
  10. JSMac

JSMac Tele-Meister

This is an age old argument within the HiFi audio community. My conclusion, after reading wasteful hours of discussion is: How hot can a tube get? None more. None more hot.

If you have old tubes and they're still working hang on to them. New production tubes suck.

As to old stock tube life, radio stations ran them 24/7.

11. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

if I had to wait for 20 hours , my amp would be defective.....
    Maybe solid state is for you......At least you wouldnt have to wait so long, LOL...

12. DrPepper

Fresh ears this morning... 15 minute warm up sufficient for tonal nirvana... /thread

ukepicker likes this.
  13. DrPepper

Yeah, I think the expansion and contraction of the metal bit within the valve associated with the heating and cooling is what wears them out the most.

I run a small fan on mt amp and everything is powered through one switch... the tubes a not so hot that yopu can touch them without getting burned and the power transformer is cool to the touch.

These tubes are new production and all the reviews say they suck but, I must have got good ones or the application in which I am using them is a good match.

14. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

+1 with ReverendRevolver’s question...”What amp?”

15. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

My DRRI is ten years old. It has the original preamp tubes. I have replaced the power tubes twice. I have owned a 70s Super Reverb & Twin Reverb, a 1966 Deluxe Reverb, and a 2010 DRRI.
    My Carvin X-Amp has the same situation, tube changes are years apart.

I am aware some amps go through tubes faster. IMHO 99% of tube changes are unnecessary. YMMV.

16. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

If you buy replacement tubes now in preparation of the inevitable tube failure. The old tubes will last just long enough for you to misplace the new tubes. As long as you know where the replacements are the old tubes will function perfectly.

17. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

tube amps usually sound better after they are good and hot. Why don't you just practice twice as long as usual and the 2nd half of your session will be sure to sound way better than the first. It seems to me when you are actually driving sound through the amp vs, leaving it on standby or at idle , it make a big difference. I always love my tone come 3rd/4th set vs 1st set, once that amp is good and hot and my hands are good and warm everything sounds so smooth.

18. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

We had all tube TVs when I was a kid, The Jetsens didn't get any better if the set was on all night.

19. MojoTrwall

MojoTrwall Tele-Holic

There's not only tube.

Capacitor won't last long too and every part of the amp.

BobbyZ likes this.
  20. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

I couldn't get over with an idle amp 24/7.
    seems pretty wasteful in the Environmental and electrical power bill department.
    stimulating the economy that way is a NoGo....at least for me. ;)

BobbyZ likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.