1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

10" Speaker Recommendation

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Big Twang Theory, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Big Twang Theory

Big Twang Theory TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Hi folks, like the title suggests, I'm looking for a speaker recommendation for 10" speaker that will be going into a 5f1 amp. Here is a little background on what I play and other gear I'll use for context.

My band is americana/roots music, with a touch jam band vibe. I play vintage style telecasters pretty much exclusively, with a strat or tele with humbuckers every now and then. Playing is either clean or with light gain overdrives. So nothing too dirty. Since the start of covid I've discovered the joy of playing with a wet/ dry rig. Our band tries to keep the stage volume pretty low and we have a drummer that is REALLY good at dynamics. So for our loudest outdoor gigs I'll use a 65 DRRI as the wet amp and a Vox ac15 for dry. For indoor gigs I replace the deluxe with a 65 Princeton reverb RI that has a 12" Eminence Private Jack.

The ac15 is great, but crazy heavy. So I want to go with something smaller to pair with the PRRI. I have a great 5f1 tweed champ that sounds really good. I just purchased a slightly bigger cabinet to fit a 10". So I have a few weeks to figure out which speaker I want while the cab is built.

So here's the two main criteria I'm looking for:
    1. I'd like an efficient speaker. The champ hangs in there with the volume half way up, but I'd like to coax a couple extra dB out of it.
    2. A brighter speaker. The 5f1 is on the dark side, so a touch more high end would be great.

I have a couple of 10" speakers laying around, but I don't think either would work. I have the original 10" jensen C-10R I pulled from the PRRI, but that isn't efficient. I have a Canibus Rex, but that is really dark. So I'm thinking maybe an Eminence Ragin Cajun or maybe some kind of Weber?

Any suggestions are much appreciated! Cheers!

Jared Purdy likes this.
  2. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

To make that Champ louder I would go with a Weber 10F150 or 10F150T ceramic.

Tele56 and Big Twang Theory like this.
  3. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Maybe copperhead or creamback too
    The g10 nice too. Imho. Lots out there Even gold 10

4. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

Eminence Legend 105 - efficient, doesn't overdrive easily, and sounds bigger than it is (almost like a 12").

5. LightningPhil

LightningPhil Tele-Meister

As you suggest, the Ragin Cajun may be a good bet. Use one in a super champ x2.

Or the Celestion G10 gold. From a distant memory, very tight sounding.

6. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

I have a Ragin Cajun in an SF Princeton and it sounds great. Sounds big, like a 12 in that amp, probably because it's so efficient.

7. Intubator

Intubator Tele-Holic

Bawlmer, MD- Home of the "Mayor Shuffle"...
    I'd chose the Weber 20W 10A125A with light dope and broken in by Weber. Will brighten up that 5F1. Also consider replacing the 25uF cathode cap ( all the way to the right on the board) with something in the 1-5uF range, that'll bring out some more high frequencies.

Big Twang Theory likes this.
  8. Big Twang Theory

Cool. So I may have been heading in the right direction between the Weber and Eminence. The only complaints I've heard about the Cajun and the Weber models I'm looking at is too much high end. Which like I mentioned, isn't going to be an issue in this amp. As far as modding the amp, I don't think I'm to that point yet. I'm only looking for a slight bump in the treble, and hopefully the right speaker will do it. The only guy in my area that does amp repair/mods is semi retired and tough to get in to see.

9. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

Another Emi 105 fan here but if you want brighter tones then perhaps the Emi 102 would suit you better, can't go wrong with either one.

Pcs264, RomanS and Big Twang Theory like this.
  10. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Holic

Same; took out of the SCX2 before I sold it and put it back in the Princeton. Sounds great in both.

11. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

Emi Copperhead.

Glen W and Big Twang Theory like this.
  12. lathoto

lathoto Tele-Meister

EVM10L would be my first choice. Pick a Weber after that.

13. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

14. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Does your transformer have an 8 Ohm tap?
    The finest sounding 10" speaker I've ever owned was a 1x10" fitted with a Jensen MOD 10-35. It sounded pretty damn fine on its own, but in a band context, it was awesome. The cab was around the same size as a Blues Jr. Wish I still had it...
    I have a 5F1/5F2a-ish built around a WF-55 ( Champ-a-like with diode rectification ) fitted with a Jensen Jet Falcon 12/50 in a large-ish cabinet. Normally, I'd have fitted a MOD series, but gave the Jet a try. If the 10" is as good as the 12", place it on your radar.
    My current pair of 1x10" cabinets are fitted with Jensen MOD 10-50 and driven from another WF-55 or a VHT Special 6. These are available in 4 Ohm, I'm using a pair of 16 Ohm. A little bassier than the 10-35, smoother, but not sterile Hi-Fi. My little amps don't trouble them power wise. They respond very well to fuzz, which is good because I love fuzz. By responding well, I mean they don't mud up when presented with heavily distorted tones, retaining the clarity and projection.
    My Laney Cub 10 is fitted with a MOD 10-70. At low volumes, it is underwhelming and a little too bassy, but at rehearsal levels, it comes alive and balances up beautifully.

15. tonejam

tonejam Tele-Holic

Copperhead

16. Big Twang Theory

Yes, thankfully it has an 8ohm tap. I'll keep those ideas in mind.

17. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Afflicted

Weber 10A100 or 10A125
    WGS Veteran

18. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Holic

19. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I know this is a pissant Fender SS amp, but I think my Frontman 25R sounds great with an Emi Legend 1058. Plenty of volume, and some added midrange give this nice clean amp some body.
    A friendly speaker!

20. mjcyates

mjcyates Tele-Meister

I'm a big fan of the WGS G10C.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.