10" Speaker For Quilter 101 Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Texicaster, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Afflicted

Howdy,

I wont ask "best" but curious as to where to start a search for a different tone from the stock Celestion TF1018

It sounds GREAT indoors but looses it outdoors. The cabinet is enclosed and I wonder how that effects tone...and if I start chasing too hard but it's on my mind and a simple swap.

My favorite Princeton has a I think Jensen C10R..... But open back tube amp....

The amp may be handicapped by design and no speaker get the tone I'm after. But mostly the low volume growl the Princeton has

Considering:
    Celestion G10
    Eminence Cannibus Rex
    Eminence Legend 1058
    And of course ....
    Jensen C10R

Challenging because I can't side by side with anything. I recall buying my Princeton I was able to try quite a few and settled on it...

New at speaker swapping and no clue if they have as quantum change as I imagine they should...

Thanks,

Texacaster

2. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I'd think about using an extension cab with the amp, it makes a big difference. And are you running the line out to the PA or what? If so just use the amp as your monitor and let the PA do the work for the audience.

I have no experience with the 10" Micropro (I have the MP 12HD and a semi open cab with a Classic Lead 80)
    I used an Eminence Ragin Cajun in the last Princeton Reverb that I owned and it sounded great, it's a big loud 10" speaker that to me almost sounds like a 12" speaker.

Also FWIW there is a Quilter owners group on Facebook, you might be able to get some real world advice there .

SolidSteak likes this.
  3. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Amps like the quilter are probably voiced to suit neutral speakersThe PR has the sound it does because of a combination of the interaction between the particular phase-inverter, 6V6s and somewhat dinky power supply and output trans.

A different open backed cabinet might help, but the quilter sounds like it's modelled on a Twin rather than a small 6V6 BF amp.

SolidSteak and Texicaster like this.
  4. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Afflicted

Thanks!

Yea.. I'm living/traveling in an Airstream where space is a premium! The Princeton was like an inch too big to fit anywhere convenient so not on the road. The Quilter Blockdock 10tc fits a spot perfectly!

Already bugging the guys on FB too! :D

Thanks!

T

5. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Also - if you are using all the volume - the 101 is 50 watts?

Maybe the Legend 1058 @75 watts RMS might be the go - cheapish, good neutral tones probably more Fenderish than the Cel which is basically a mid-PA speaker from specs.

6. BigD

BigD Friend of Leo's

I have the Aviator Gold with Celestion G12 Classic Lead 80 but have never played it outside. Is there a similar Celestion 10 inch speaker? The specs on mine claim to work with any impedance cab or speaker so I guess there would be a world of easily tried examples.
    The more I use mine the more I am impressed with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Tele-Afflicted

The Legend 105's have a little more Mids and punch for outdoor use. It works great for Tweed type sounds. Rated for 65 watts.

The Jensen C10R isn't efficient and does't handle higher power well (gets farty sounding). Rated for 25 watts. But at low volume, it has more of the Fender, Blackface chime.

The Celestion G10N-40 is a fairly neutral speaker. It is only rated for 40 watts.

8. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

9. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

I don't think swapping speakers is going to get you exactly to the Princeton Reverb amp that you know and love. I agree that it being a closed-back cab may have something to do with it as well. If you need more dispersion of the sound outdoors, an extension cab or line out to the PA is going to solve that problem more easily than a different speaker IMO. The amp definitely has the power for a small outdoor show.

In my own experience Quilters sound great, but they mostly have their own sound. Can they sound close to a Fender amp? Maybe, but a lot of that is subjective, and once you go down that search for "how do I get x to sound like y" for a while it might make you think you could have just made a bit more space on the Airstream for the Princeton.

I'm looking into one of those blockdocks myself - the 12HD. Looks like it's the size of a Blues Junior. I have 2 Quilter heads I can use with it and that 101 Reverb is next on my list!

10. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have the Micropro 12" HD and an ext cab with a Celestion Classic Lead 80. They sound different, I'm back and forth about which one sounds better, using both sounds really good though!
    The Quilter amps do have their own sound, and not always the easiest to dial in with the MP , but I've found some really good tones, and generally use pedals for gain, so a good basic clean works for me and there are several to choose from.

I had a 101 Reverb for a while, I couldn't really get a classic Fender tone exactly but it could have been the speaker I was using, seems like some of the Quilter 101 R owners like a semi open back cab with the Eminence GA 12" speaker for "Fenderish" tones. And Eminence makes a 10" version of that speaker too.

11. Fretts

Fretts TDPRI Member

I have an Aviator 8. I talked to Pat Quilter about the speaker in there. He convinced me it's the best one for that cabinet; the enclosure is sized to suit the Celestion TF1018 speaker.
    For more coverage, or to set up an extension speaker on the far side of the drums, I bought a 12" extension speaker for a Fender Bassbreaker. That worked well for my purposes.

12. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

I just recently had a good experience with Weber Speakers. If the OP were so inclined I suggest asking them for advice.

13. zbpt

zbpt TDPRI Member

I have swap various 10" speakers for my 101. The Celestion Gold very versatile while the Eminence GA-64 is more American Fender ish. I prefer the Eminence for cleaner and mid gain sounds.

14. zbpt

zbpt TDPRI Member

swapped

15. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

I think your problem is the cabinet, because as others have noted it is designed for that speaker.

I have a 101 head that I use with a open back cabinet with an eminence copperhead, and it is a match made in heaven for fender blackface tones.

I'm surprised no one else has mentioned the copperhead. It is basically the legend 1058 with more beef, my favorite 10 inch speaker and I have tried plenty!

You definitely do not want a hemp cone speaker if you're looking for fender sparkle, and as others have noted the Jensen is far too wimpy for that application.

16. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

I really like the WGS G10C. Have one of them paired with a G12C in a 12+10 pine cab, love that sound.

17. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Tele-Afflicted

I am using a Jensen Mod 10 70 with my 101 head. Close back cab, sounds great.

18. czech-one-2

czech-one-2 Friend of Leo's

Just started using a JBL E110 with my Micro Pro 200. Went from wanting to flip the amp to gigging with it. Really brings out the Fender sparkle, which this amp was short of producing prior to the JBL swap. What a killer amp!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.