1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

10 Country Jazz Guitar Licks!!!

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by MentMorris, Mar 9, 2017.

1. MentMorris

MentMorris TDPRI Member

GreatGaudy and Doghouse_Riley like this.
  2. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Tele-Afflicted

Cool. I got some 'sheddin' to do. :cool:

MentMorris likes this.
  3. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Great stuff, and right up my alley of what I've been (slowly) trying to do to improve my playing. Got to get out of the pentatonic rut!

Cheers,
    Doug

MentMorris likes this.
  4. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

good stuff, Ment!

MentMorris likes this.
  5. MentMorris

MentMorris TDPRI Member

Nothin wrong with pentatonics Doug! Check out a guy named Leon Rhodes (guitarist for the Texas Troubadours). He pretty much only uses pentatonics (along with arps based out of chord shapes and some of his "Leon-isms"). He addresses each chord with its own pentatonic scale though which makes him a bit different! The TT's have an instrumental album that feature all of that. Hope you can find it!

6. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Thanks, I'll take a look

I can run major and minor pentatonic up and down the neck all day long, but what
    I have been trying to do is jazz those up a bit. My forte has been blues and southern rock, but over the past few years have been playing a lot of country too. But I really love to spice it up a bit more with some jazzy stylings. I can play the notes, but my muscle memory tends to keep me landing on the "safe" notes.

I am working where I can add in the jazzier runs without having to think about it. If I over analyze while I'm playing, I regress. Looking at little snippets of riffs like these is really helpful because I look at the context of where/how it's played, and then why it sounds good (e.g. this lick fits this chord change).

Unless the song calls for it, I don't typically play the same solo note for note each time. I like to find licks that work with the chord movements so I can apply it in any song, and mix it up versus playing a prescribed solo each time.

Anyways, thanks for the suggestions. I've listened to the TT before, but I'll take a closer look.

Cheers,
    Doug

MentMorris likes this.
  7. GreatGaudy

GreatGaudy Tele-Meister

" ahhh, Billy Byrd "
    nice riffs, thanks

MentMorris likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.