10 " Celestion in a Princeton reverb ?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by doublee, Jul 19, 2019.

1. doublee

doublee Tele-Meister

I hooked up the princeton to another cab that had a G12 H 30 and liked it very much

Currently in the princeton has been a 10" Tubby ceramic which sounds a little boxy to my ears unless its on 10.

but love the 12" Tubby in my DR go figger, but the Princeton less so for some reason.

Previously I have tried 10f150: too brittle,

Copperhead: like an am radio

JBL 10: flat eq nothing special

An original '66 Jensen gold label 10: kind of thin the cone was probably about shot.

Everyone ears are different of course and I dont disparage the above they all have their uses and fans.

I dont hear much about Cele's in Princetons, any thoughts please.

2. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    Fretting out likes this.
  3. doublee

doublee Tele-Meister

Thanks very much, he has a tone I like and a superb player.

theprofessor likes this.
  4. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

I had a buddy who had a 10 inch celestion gold in a princeton reissue for and it sounded really nice.

5. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

If you are looking for used speakers, I would suggest a late 70's to early 80's G10S-50. I have 6 of these. They sound similar to a G12-65. I have 4x10 cab and a couple of backups. I have used them in both a Princeton 6G2 and Princeton Reverb with success.

G10S-50.jpg

sudogeek likes this.
  6. doublee

doublee Tele-Meister

Thank you I have tended toward ceramics for crisper tele punch and dont have much experience with alnico, they are softer I think? I know this has all been discussed before many times no doubt.......

7. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

I have a WGS G10C/S in my Princeton Reverb that I think sounds really great. Very full, rich, but still retains the Fender sparkle.

8. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Meister

Eminace 10" Ramrod here. Good midrange and sounds more like a 12" than any 10" I've tried. It has a high sensitivity though and will make a Princeton louder.

9. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

Ya. Gold always good. Vintage g10 celestion good too. I like the new supro bd10 also. Think 90watts. Never tried in Princeton though.

10. Festus_Hagen

Festus_Hagen Tele-Holic

I put an Eminence GA10-SC64 in my 70's PR. It retained the original tone of the stock speaker, minus the farting sound at 8-10. I love it.

11. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I don't find the Copperhead to sound like an am radio... if it does I might start looking for problems in the amp. I have a copperhead in one and it sounds pretty darn good.

I had a Ram Rod in one that I sold and it sounded amazingly good... I kinda wish I had kept that speaker.
    My 74 SFPR that I gig with has a 12" Cannabis Rex.
    I have never heard a Celestion that I liked at all and I have replaced and sold every one that came in a used amp.

12. sudogeek

sudogeek TDPRI Member

I currently have the G10S-50 in my PR (blackfaced pull-boost ‘80). It’s my favorite. #2 is GA10 and #3 is the Copperhead. That last one is a great speaker - not hi-fi or tinny or however an AM radio sounds. It is currently in an extension cabinet. Although, really, all three are great.

13. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

I like the humble Eminence Legend 105

14. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Don't forget break in time for both the speaker ... and your ears ...

15. Syrinx

Syrinx Tele-Meister

I have the PR ltd with a greenback in it and it is great!

16. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

I have a very old (1993 or so?) Celestion V30 in my modiifed Princeton Reverb. It works very well for bar-band classic-rock, if you like that kinda stuff.

17. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

I like Celestion speakers in everything, generally. They sound more full to my ears, more balanced. Depending on the model, of course. I think a Celestion Gold or a Ten 10 would be a great choice for a PR.

I'm also one of those weirdos that prefers the Greenback to the Alnico Blue in my AC15, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

18. greasamizer

greasamizer TDPRI Member

I have a PEAVY 2X10 cabinet that I use for bass; Great for the studio and for small venues. I never thought I would like 10" speakers for bass work, but two J-basses and one fretless J can't be wrong.

19. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I'm surprised the 10F150 wasn't to your liking. People even most often go to the F150T which is even more treble. BUT, it may be the 10F150 wasn't broken in. And I have to say, some of the Weber F series just never seem to get there. It's a mixed bag for me. The F150's used to be my favorite speakers. I had a 12 and some 10's that were glorious. However, I bought some new 12, 15's in the F150's that were brittle sounding. Almost like they weren't working properly and I just couldn't get them broken in. That and the price now days is why I've moved on to mostly Emi's.
    My opinion is you a big bold speaker with extended lows for a PR. The 10F150 (in a good one) is perfect for that. Maybe find an old used one marked as a C10N weber or with the two solder poles not the usual bracket.
    I've not heard a 10 Celestion that I feel would do it.
    An Emi 1058 probably would and very reasonable bucks. If the GA SC64 10 sounds like the GA SC 64 12 it would. But I'm not sure.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.