1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

10 bands better than the Beatles????

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Justinvs, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Justinvs

Justinvs Poster Extraordinaire

I don't know if anyone else saw this list, but I had to shake my head in bemusement.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2014/02/07/11-bands-better-than-beatles/?intcmp=features

I can maybe agree with Led Zeppellin, but it would be comparing apples to oranges. As for the rest, while I'm a huge fan of most of these guys, especially Tom Petty, the Stones and the Clash, I'm not sure you can really make the claim that they are better than the Beatles. The Stones, possibly, as they were contemporaries and both bands were helping define the sound for the next wave of rock bands, but to my mind they don't quite get there.

At any rate the article reinforces one thing: lists are dumb! :lol:

2. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

who is better than the beatles...no one
    or
    who is better than the beatles...everyone

3. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

IMHO...as far as musicianship goes, Rush is definitely better than the Beatles...Of course "that is like just my opinion man"

4. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

They need content, crap like this is much easier than actually thinking, not that most of the readership wants to do that either.

5. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yes, my takeaway too. But there are some nice (annoying?) plays on words in there.

6. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Poster Extraordinaire

I realised this was not a serious article as soon as I saw U2, but I guess their appearance in the list was there to soften the blow when Rush came up later on.

7. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Poster Extraordinaire

Personally I would have chosen The Monkees or The Partridge Family over U2, but I'm not a hipster writing articles on Fox News so what do I know?

8. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

Looking through some of the bands on the list, oh man! Context is obviously not a prerequisite here, it seems that the writer fell and hit his head on a big "Rock." Love to see the writer really "digging" the tasty-rich "cuts" sprinkled delicately on his shuffle-pod.

The entire premise of the title and implications of aesthetic qualification are more suited to Cosmo.

The stylistically diverse and complex circumstantial criteria that would play into a critical hierarchy of the bands mentioned is not even considered in any depth.

Even still, in the end, it's a matter of taste and opinion - or should I venture to say...ears. Lots of bands I like on the list, but there are a couple that are quite a stretch compared to the Beatles. Still just my opinion, and there aren't any girls screaming and tearing out their hair over me, so what do I know?!

9. Post Toastie

Post Toastie Poster Extraordinaire

Velvet Underground :eek: :oops:
    I think that writer was on Heroin.

10. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

If by musicianship you mean technical proficiency, then I might agree with you, but otherwise, they are not even close in my mind. Musicianship is much more than technical ability.

11. hekawi

hekawi Poster Extraordinaire

that was published by The Onion, right?

12. ScatMan

ScatMan Friend of Leo's

They left out the Shaggs.. Fail!

13. loopy reed

loopy reed Friend of Leo's

You just can't compare any band to the Beatles.

I don't think they are the Alpha and Omega of music. It's important to understand and appreciate the Beatles, but I don't think it's required to like them or think they're the best thing that ever happened.

A lot of my friends like to out-hipster each other and cite other Brit bands that didn't get as much recognition as the Beatles. I like to believe they ended up right where they belonged. Personally I'm glad I don't run into so much Dave Dee Dozy Beaky Mick and Tich merchandise everywhere I go. I'm glad the Zombies didn't make any movies.

Comparing the Beatles to Zeppelin and Rush and all that? Comparing apples and snare drums. Makes no sense. Can't believe people (I assume) get paid to write lists.

14. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

It's based on the accepted reality of "we can all have favorite bands or bands that we think are the best, but we all know The Beatles are the greatest ever. It's just up to us to figure out second place."

In actual reality it's whatever you like/whoever you think is the best.

But - no objectivity about the Mops.

15. bun malaey

bun malaey Tele-Afflicted

Better than the Beatles?
    That's easy..

NKOTB

One Direction

Nysnyc

Menudo

Nickelback

Creed

Taylor Swift

Blake Sheldon

Garth Brooks

The Wiggles

16. loopy reed

loopy reed Friend of Leo's

My, lots of worms in that can!

This is about to get interesting.

:D

17. donrichfan

donrichfan Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Dude, you stole my thunder

18. Shiro

Shiro Tele-Meister

I forgot that different means better in the guitar world. They're all the best.

19. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

I agree that Velvet Underground was better than the Beatles. But I'm pretty sure this article is designed to make people furious and argue about it on Facebook, generating page clicks. We're feeding the troll.

For what it's worth, I think the Beatles were great, but there are lots of bands I'd rather listen to most days.

20. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

There is no accounting for taste. I can think of a few (very few) bands that I like better than the Beatles, but it is pretty absurd to argue in matters of personal fancy or taste. Of course, where would the internet be if we didn't try.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.