1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

1 Watt vs 5 Watt

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by tubeToaster, Dec 3, 2020.

1. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

Power difference in dB :

NdB = 10Log(Pout/Pin)

NdB = 10.log(5W/1W) = +6.98dB

The 5w amp is +7dB louder than the 1W amp.

All things being equal otherwise.

-tbln.

2. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Afflicted

Also, remember that the room is part of the equation. Ever played a half stack at full blast in a practice room?

In college I had access to the audio lab and its Anechoic Chamber which had "zero" wall, floor or ceiling reflections. I clocked my 50W Marshall at 67 Watts and I was able to stand in front of it and play without blowing my ears out - it was certainly NOT a comfortable volume, though....

... it makes me wonder what the SPL is of a hurt toddler crying directly into my ear. THAT will rattle your brains - something no amp has done for me yet!

3. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

I did an experiment using a 25L6 with a 32 supply and got it down to TV levels into a WGS ET65 (97 dB) and there seemed to be no interest in it. I did not have batteries for my spl meter so I can't say what it was hitting. I messed around with some guitars, acoustics up to 90 dB really slamming them. 75-80 dB noodling around. TV levels were you would not bother anyone would be about 70 dB I would say. Well depending what was on TV. I would think it would be just as well making a tube preamp with a master volume and run it into a SS amp module of 5-10W. By the time you are at 70 dB you loose a lot of nuances and preamp distortion is just fine.

And just while we are taking levels, I have a Champ styled amp and I have a 60's 10" hifi speaker with it. An electric will stay clean up to the level of an acoustic guitar playing. So 80-85 dB. After that it can get loud distorted.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.