,1 UF cap tone question

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by okavipra, Jan 10, 2017.

1. okavipra

okavipra TDPRI Member

recently discovered that on my tele is ,1uf copper cap (4 way wiring)
    since my guitar is kind a dark sounding even when the tone and vol are on 10 , not much of a tele thing going on even with the twang king and antiquity 2 , can this ,1uf copper cap be the problem
    Thanks

2. Sandhill69

Sandhill69 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Someone recently posted this link

The first 1:29 is blah blah, but starting at 1:30 he does a pretty good job of explaining caps...the idea of buying a couple dollars worth of orange drops and poking them through cardboard is down to earth :)

3. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Cap only has effect with the tone rolled back significantly. It effects the roll off of the filter. If you want more perceived brightness try higher value or 'no load' pots.

4. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Have you played with heights ? Distance from the strings.

SPUDCASTER likes this.
  5. okavipra

okavipra TDPRI Member

its 69 warmoth mahogany body (maple neck) tele , starting to think that its alllabout it , 250 k pots , 4 way switching, but saw online that 69 thinlines had 1meg volume pot , .have twang king in neck antiquity in bridge , threaded saddles , and bridge is not teleish a little warm , but have sizzle, twang king in neck is dull ??? :( ,maybe its because of 4 way wiring , i really dont know any more ...

6. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

4 way wiring wont affect your other tones. If you have series wiring on it, that will sound dark and fat in that position. Other positions will be unaffected, and will function normally assuming it's wired correctly.

7. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Ya something strange there, the twang king is acually kinda bright, strat-ish.

Try a 500KΩ volume pot.

You don't need to mess with the tone pot, you can get that to work how you need it to with cap values. Higher value, faster-darker as you go from 10-0. So a .047 would be more agressive than a .022 (which is the best all around functional one).

8. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

I had the ANT 2 neck pickup & it was too dark. My tele has a .05 cap & 250k pots.
    I think that SD uses the chrome plated brass cover ala original Fender. :cool:

9. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

Yes, it isn't the copper but the .1uf value. With the output of those pickups would say
    try .027, ,033 or .039 uf capacitor. Any higher would go from bright to muff quickly as
    you turn the tone knob downward. Any lower than .027 and you would have more the inverse.

10. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Try disconnecting one leg of the tone cap and see if that makes a difference. If it doesn't then the cap is not the issue. There are those who will tell you that the cap doesn't do much until you get to 'x' on the tone pot, I'm not one of those guys, but it's sure easy enough to find out for yourself.

11. okavipra

okavipra TDPRI Member

either im crazy , but guitar started working really nice , and its getting better and better by every day, and i spent all my money on lollar vintage ts :((( , disaster , my tongue is faster than my brain ... now im maybe have to change saddles or just try to sell lollars if it doesn't fit mahogany thin line , thanks a lot guys , if you interested ill record some clips before after lollars , so noone makes mistakes i did , 300 euros for 2 lollars i Serbia , practically whole salary , i taught its in the pickups ...

12. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

You may have a solder joint that needs attention. If the sonics go away agin, try touching up those connections.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.