1 Tele, 2 Teles, 3 Teles, more!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Sparky6string, Jul 31, 2021.

1. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Tele-Meister

I got my first Tele style guitar around 2004ish and it was a Fernandes TE-1N. It was like a 60's version of the natural butterscotch type finish. Why 60s? It had the later tuner copies, 3-ply pickguard, 60's style pickups, rosewood board, steel barrels etc. Awesome guitar.

Next was a 2012 Fender Baja 50s in BSB. Great guitar of course- we all know this guitar.

Next was a Squier Thinline that I dropped in some Onamac custom pickups in. Cheapest of the bunch.

Somewhere in there is bought and sold a 1995 US Standard Tele in cream for a good profit.

I love the Fernandes best still, then the Squier I think (damn that guitar is good. If I had a sig model this would be it, Squier brand and all.). I had swapped out the Baja stock bridge pickup for a Van Zandt True Vintage and while it sounds great it kinda ruined the relationship between the neck and bridge so the original is going back in. Where is the VZ going?

I'm s l o w l y building a Tele myself since I'm in such obvious need of one. I'm sitting on that Fender because it's a popular thing- I can actually get about as much for it now as I paid for it back then. If I had it to do all over again I might have just stuck with the Fernandes since it is still such a great fit for me. Building one will be a fun bank-account-drain.

Arfage, Y-not, RMLamey and 3 others like this.
  2. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

If this was a poll, I’d vote “more”. I know what you mean about those Squiers. My friend has a Squier thin line and it is excellent. My #1 is actually a Squier Strat, despite having multiple more expensive guitars, including 3 Fenders.

Make sure you start a thread on that build! I have a Tele build in the works too, and it’s been over a year now. Recent progress made though!

Y-not, Festofish, Fendereedo and 2 others like this.
  3. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I’m up to 5 teles and thinking about selling one, so the answer is 4 teles, 4 teles is the perfect amount

BUT! You can never have too many teles

4. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

I have the one Tele style partscaster I want: double bound metallic blue, with bound block inlay rosewood fingerboard, black/white/black pickguard loaded with a minihum at the neck and Tele pickup in the bridge. Lotsa luscious sounds!

GTRJunkie, Y-not, Teletubbie and 2 others like this.
  5. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Afflicted

Gotta draw the line at 5 Teles, 2 ASATs and a Squier. No más, no más!

5 Teles.jpg

6. Happy Enchilada

Happy Enchilada Tele-Afflicted

I have a newish MIM Player buttserscotch/blackguard with SD Hot Teles and a bunch of other subtle upgrades. It's a Tele on steroids and a joy to play, will never part with it.

Also an FM HH Tele (red flamey maple carved top, set neck - like a Tele and a LP had a baby). It's OK, but it doesn't get played a lot. Plus it doesn't fill the void in my heart for a straight-up hotrodded LP. Irony is, I found one that's a copy, but the guy did all the upgrades right (CTS pots, Switchcraft jack and switch, StewMac Golden Age humbuckers), and it's my favorite flavor - lemon drop over tiger stripe. And he only wants $300, so as soon as I can sneak it into the house, it's mine.

Just jettisoned a homebuilt Tele I spent loads of time and $$$ on and didn't really love when it was all over - hope to get enough to go buy a Tech 21 Deuce Deluxe powered speaker so I can plug my POD XT and the Geddy Lee bass pedal into and use as an "output device."

I decided a few days ago to take up the bass. Saw "The Big Interview" with Dan Rather where he had Kenny Rogers on. Kenny said when he was starting out, a guy he knew was starting a band and wanted Kenny to play bass. Kenny replied that he was a guitar player ... and the guy gave him some of the best advice ever: "There's more work out there for bad bass players than bad guitar players." Kenny followed his advice, and at the age of 63 I am also doing this as well. What the heck - I've been playing guitar since I was 5, so I know where the friggin' notes are on the fretboard. Now all I gotta do is learn some patterns for grooves, most of which I can hear in my head anyway. And the bass players get all the girls ...

Wish me luck!

capt pearl, Jake909, Y-not and 4 others like this.
  7. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Holic

05CBFD3D-5054-40B9-868F-BA0EA7A6726B.jpeg A gaggle of Teles.

8. RWB

RWB TDPRI Member

Agreed. I bought my first Tele in 1995 and now I have nine of them. This includes an Esquire but I think that's fair.

9. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, that's an amazing guitar! I had one and foolishly sold it. Those are great guitars.

10. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

I have three Squires:
    CV '50s WB with a replacement neck.
    BSB '50s CV with mini hum neck and VV Hot Tele bridge.
    BSB VM , Duncan design p'ups, '92 MIM neck.
    Four parts casters, various appointments.
    ALL, except the 2HB, have 4-way switching.
    The three p'up has a middle on/off. I really like that. IMG_20171217_184842.jpg I'm planning to build another like it, only, hopefully, better.

11. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I count Teles to help me get to sleep.

12. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

Did with one Tele for 40 odd years, then picked up a 52RI because it was a good price & I’d always fancied one.
    That must be the best part of 10 years ago & I never really bonded with it or played it that much. Maybe I’m really a 1 Tele person.

13. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

What's too many Tele's? Five is a good number right......

Sparky6string and mkdaws32 like this.
  14. rstaaf

rstaaf Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Here are three, could be more, maybe several more :cool:
    I am not telling, could be used against me :lol:

20210801_125117192_iOS.jpg

15. James824

James824 TDPRI Member

Have 2 Fender Teles and 1 G&L ASAT.

Think I need 1 more.

Sparky6string and Fendereedo like this.
  16. aeyeq

aeyeq Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I have had three but one at a time.

I really like my current MIM Nashville.

Then I opened that video about the Broadcaster 70th…I am going to resist but man that was a heavy gravitational event!

Sparky6string and Fendereedo like this.
  17. doctymie

doctymie TDPRI Member

teles.jpg
    (L-R) Custom Shop 55 Esquire, 70th Anniv Broadcaster, Vintera 50s, Muddy Waters Artist, 64 AV.

18. Gardo

Gardo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I currently have 5 but feel like I need at least one more , maybe two.,definitely two.

19. blues

blues Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I have three. A Road Worn,Wildwood thin skin,Wildwood 10

They all got their own thing going on.

20. telekaster1999

telekaster1999 Tele-Afflicted

5 here. I have considered selling my MIJ though.

Fendereedo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.