1 piece body, rare for a MIM?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by olwdillchips, Dec 31, 2012.

1. xFallenx

xFallenx Friend of Leo's

Don't you mean 4 American Deluxe Tele's? xD

2. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

they arent as rare as people think and Fender does not have a policy to never use 1 piece thats silly.

3. nadzab

nadzab Friend of Leo's

Assuming that conventional wisdom is that they are "extremely rare"...what evidence have you that they're not?

4. motor_city_tele

motor_city_tele Tele-Afflicted

I had a 1989 MIM tele - solid blue finish. I stripped it to the bare wood and it was made of 9 pieces of wood. two pieces of veneer on each the top and bottom, and five pieces joined together for the bulk of the body. sorta like a steak-um sandwich steak.

5. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yeah, it makes one wonder.

One-piece bodies are extremely rare on production Fender models, and may (of course) only be identified in translucent/natural finishes. This reduces the possibility greatly as the majority of Fenders are finished in opaque colors or sunburst w/opaque edges.

The biggest chance of finding a one-piece body would probably be in a '52RI, since they're all finished in a more or less translucent color. The guys at Wildwood had never seen a one-piece though, only 2 and 3 pieces. Yes, I've asked them.

Of course there are exceptions to any rule, but those are just that: exceptions!

6. 73Fender

73Fender Friend of Leo's

Maybe we could have a contest to see who has the Tele made from the most pieces of wood. [​IMG]

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

So rare, it maybe only occurs on Saturn. And then, only to solid bodies since by definition a thinline is multiple pieces.

Guitar manufacturers have been working for years to fool the human eye; I've long since lost track of all the MIM "one piecers" that were found out to be multi-piece once the due diligence was done. Skilled woodworkers, wood finishers can easily disguise the seams on these multipiecers and lots of times, we're talking about a "sandwich" or veneer construction; a half dozen chunks of alder with a veneer front and back.

I think in the years I've been on TDPRI we've averaged a guy every week or other week, absolutely convinced he's discovered a genuine MIM one piecer. But once we showed the guy what to look for (or he'd submitted a photo and we dissected it for him) we have over all this time never identified a single one and IMO we won't until FMIC changes their manufacturing processes in Mexico. Hey, if they got a plank big enough to do a single piecer, they'd resaw it anyway because they do not have it within their means to process such a thing. You'd have to break in and somehow insert the thing in amongst the others with correct codes on it. That would be one weird prank, if you ask me. :D

8. Fatmanstratman

Fatmanstratman Poster Extraordinaire

'Ain't THAT the truth....

One piece MIM bodies? I don't think so somehow....:confused:

9. surfoverb

because I have one, and ive seen others. Usually CIJ.

10. fenson

fenson ---------------------------------

yes it can happen . Out of all the wood supplied to Fender to any and all its manufatcering facilities ! It can happen . I use to think , no way 1 piece in a production model from Fender !!!!!!!!!!!!! Till I bought a used 2008 strat seinna burst 1 piece ash. Typically speaking though the more common place spec varies . These days 2 and 3 piece MIA is standard fare. MIM classic series thinlines I have seen are 4 , 2 for the back + 2 for the top.

11. Comanche

Comanche TDPRI Member

It would appear they save the one pieces for the translucent finishes.

12. roycaster

roycaster Tele-Holic

I’m sorry, but you guys don’t have don’t have any 1 piece bodies. Just because you can’t see the seam, it doesn’t mean it’s a one piece body. It just means you can’t see the seam. We’re talking about large corporations here, not fly by night back shops. Receiving and QC aren’t going to accept a 14” board when the purchase order calls for a 7” board. The vender isn’t going to send a 14” board for an order for 7” boards; they would cut the board down to size to fit the order. Besides, Fender and its venders know how many board feet of wood they need each month, and they’re all geared for that. Think about it, why to all of body manufactures have such a significant up charge for 1 piece bodies if these planks were showing up by mistake all of the time.

13. surfoverb

lol. now its impossible for them to even exist. too funny.

14. boris bubbanov

I've seen one piece Fender Japan bodies; I'll vouch for that. I'm talking exclusively about Ensenada here when I say the one piece MIM body does not exist. I've seen MIMs with 1 piece CIJ bodies, one piece USACG bodies and so forth. We're talking the bodies made by Fender in Ensenada. And veneers may look to the untrained eye like a one piecer but the guys with the eyes will show you where you're wrong when you wanna come to terms with it.

Roycaster's post is excellent and spot on. I'm not an industrial engineer but several of my buddies are and he is so right. You send the plant what they asked for, not what you think they might like. This is business.

15. surfoverb

maybe MIM but I doubt it, if they show up by mistake in Japan it can happen anywhere.

16. boris bubbanov

CIJ one piece bodies are not "a mistake". Their suppliers offer it and they in turn provide them to the market. Fender Japan's manufacturing scheme is entirely different from the ones used in Ensenada or on the Production side at Corona or at FCS for that matter. If you wanna find video from the Ensenada plant and compare it to the plants in Japan you'll see the scheme is entirely different.

17. Sidney Vicious

Sidney Vicious Friend of Leo's

If a one-piece shows up, they cut it in half then glue it back together before finishing it - just to mess with us!

18. surfoverb

actually i think Mike Eldred said they have done that before. Not to mess with anyone though lol

19. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Of course they aren't.

A MIM one-piece body would be though ... ;)

20. surfoverb

mine was a mistake in that it came on a mid-grade level tele (58,000 yen)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.