1 Meg to 250K = thin rhythm pickup

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by sirloin, May 13, 2007.

1. sirloin

sirloin TDPRI Member

Changed the volume and tone pots from 1 meg to 250K and removed the .001 treble bleed cap on my '73 tele. The bridge pickup sounds better (less ice-picky), but the rhythm pickup, which used to sound great, is now thin and not as loud. Any ideas as to what may have caused this? Should I try going back to 1 meg on just the volume? Was it because I removed the treble bleed cap? Thanks!

2. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire

I assume you didn't touch the connections to the selector switch, just the pots. Removing the treble bleed cap shouldn't make any difference, at least with the pot up full. No offense intended, but have you checked that the ground wire from the neck pickup is correctly soldered to the pot? A deficient joint would cause a drop in signal.

3. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

try reversing the wires on the rhythm pup to where they are now soldered. you might have mixed them after installing the pots. this would make the rhythm pup sound thin and anemic. and check for cold (grey looking) solder connections. they should look silver and shiny.

imho.

rand z tropicalsoul.net

4. yegbert

yegbert Poster Extraordinaire

If this is a two-pickup Tele with a standard 3-way switch, master volume, and master tone...

Being wired out of phase would only make the Tele sound thin and anemic with both pickups selected. It shouldn't make the neck pickup sound thin and anemic when selected by itself.

5. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

+1 on That

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.