1) I Give Up; 2) Orange Blossom

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by P Thought, Apr 24, 2020.

1. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

1) While I really do mean to rein myself in on this TDPRI habit, and I still might have to cut it off completely for a while in order to do that, it's clear to me that now is not the time. While I managed to avoid posting on the open forum for almost a month, I hardly slowed down at all on reading posts and threads. Sorry I ever said anything in the first place--embarrassing--but sorry, I'm back at least for now. I am grateful to those of you who corresponded with me in PMs; times is lonesome even for hermits right now.

2) I've decided that if it's not a rule, it should be: anyone who calls therself a country musician must have a personal "Orange Blossom Special" in ther repertoire. I ain't, and I want to fix that.

I'm an Ivory Soap musician: 99 44/100% of my performances are at home for no audience, but they are performances none the less. So I'm putting this together just for me and whichever amp/no amp configuration I have in my hand. I'm going to work it out in E, because that's my voice's favorite key, and it's the key for which I'm quickest with the mostest where scales and chords are concerned, up and down the fretboard, though I'm working to strengthen myself in some of the others.

One of the things that I think is best about this song is that it has several distinct movements, I think you can call them that, and that each movement has room for much interpretation on the part of the performer. I have to figure the chord progressions first. I think I can do that eventually from listening to YouTube recordings, but I'm willing to cheat: does anyone have a "Nashville Numbers" chart for this song?

loco gringo likes this.
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Sir, I have called myself a country musician since I was 12.
    I started backing my fiddle playing father on guitar at fiddle contests shortly after learning the three chords to Boil The Cabbage, at age 12.
    Orange Blossom Special was next.
    I never learned the melody.
    I never want to.
    I’d have to play it.
    I started playing in country bands at 18.
    If there was a fiddler on the bandstand, he’s going to play it.
    People love it.
    I’m not people.
    I do not love it.
    OBS is a time waster, IMO.
    As a hired gun, I have to play it, but I won’t solo on it.
    I find it makes it go on longer.
    Your results (I’m sure) will vary.
    Good luck, and happy, uh, fiddlin’!

3. P Thought

Also, if anyone posted favorite OBS videos or other recordings. . . ?

Edit: @brookdalebill, I hadn't considered that perspective, but I see it for sure now that you mention it! :lol:

2nd edit: I guess we don't need a rule here, and anyway I don't make the rules :oops:

And: maybe this song is the country/bluegrass equivalent of "Mustang Sally" for pro musicians?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
  4. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

It must not work out on a B Bender.

brookdalebill likes this.
  5. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

I couldn’t stop had to try it on the B Bender. Broke the B string.

P Thought and brookdalebill like this.
  6. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

P Thought likes this.
  7. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I actually cannot stand OBS. This version is a wank fest for three tele players and really has little redeeming value, but I offer it to you so maybe you'll disabuse yourself of the notion that you are required to learn it.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
    P Thought and brookdalebill like this.
  8. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

I like this guitar instrumental version of OBS. It’s less than 2 minutes. After the song he shows a slowed down version of it with TAB.

PhredE and P Thought like this.
  9. P Thought

Woof. That might have worked. What I have (had?) in mind for myself was some kind of creditable chord progression and strum pattern to back up my singing, maybe a brief guitar solo--John Jorgensen I ain't. I heard a Johnny Cash version with three or four verses; he used two harmonicas.

When we saw his show a few years ago, Marty Stuart did a ripping Orange Blossom Special, just him and his mandolin, with lyrics.

@Junkyard Dog, Thanks. I think I can borrow from the version you posted, though I'm not the picker that guy is.

PhredE likes this.
  10. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Holic

JunkyardDog beat me to that one. I like that one as well. IIRC, he is German and does guitar transcriptions (and some of his own work) for a living. He's pretty good. His chicken pickin' is outstanding.

P Thought likes this.
  11. Leon Grizzard

Leon Grizzard Friend of Leo's

I've kinda or almost learned this guy's Working Man Blues and may do this OBS next. He has tab and with slow down software and stay-at-home...

P Thought likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.