1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

#1 hated task: who else hates changing strings?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by burntfrijoles, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Frisco 57

Frisco 57 Tele-Meister

I've got a few guitars so I don't change strings too often but when one starts feeling "crusty" I enjoy putting on a fresh set of wires. I enjoy projects that show marked change so after a string change and cleaning, I like the way the guitar sounds, feels & looks...and for me that's the payoff.

2. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Holic

Not a favorite task which is why I’ve put locking tuners on some of mine. Saves all kinds of time.

If a guitar doesn’t have locking tuners, I use the Ernie Ball winder.

3. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Afflicted

This reminds me that I don't have any replacement strings around, so if one breaks, I'll have to use a different guitar. Good thing I have spare guitars.

4. GeneB

GeneB Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I have locking tuners on 5 or my 6 electrics. I do have a string winder attachment for my cordless screwdriver to use on my three acoustics. Like others here, my slothead 12 string is a royale PITA to change so on that I use Elixirs. I keep a google spreadsheet with my string inventory and the dates that I change them. Usually after 3 months or so ... I also use Kyser string cleaner spritzed on a Tonegear String Cleaner 'pad' and clean the strings when new and after they've been played a few hours. It works well and I recommend it.

5. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Afflicted

I do t mind six in line but three each side guitar restring drives me crazy!

6. Racer5

Racer5 Tele-Afflicted

I love changing strings. It's relaxing, I do it while I watch TV and have a beer.

Strings are cheap and I love the feel of fresh strings. I change mine prematurely. I also like messing around with different brands and gauges.

northernguitar and GeneB like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.