1 guitar, 1 amp

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by charlie chitlin, May 4, 2018.

1. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

my one guitar one amp situation is easy and I could easily do it but I'm going to use all my available tools when I'm surrounded by them. Anyway, my one guitar would be my custom build with its shs pickup configuration and seven switches, I know its too much but I'm building a semihollow body for it and plan to simplify the electronics with a single 6 way switch (NSF freeway) which will get all my current favourite tones. My one amp would be my Orange AD30, it does a great clean, a great drive and has reverb.

Minimalist518 likes this.
  2. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

I'd be fine with that amp, but no way would my one guitar be a Dano!

3. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

Tele + 5E3

4. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Very versatile guitar.
    Stays in tune.
    Never breaks a string.
    Plays great.

5. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

I've only two guitars and two amps. Mostly just when one guitar or an amp is in the shop,I gotta play something!

6. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

plexi2.jpg Firebird.jpg

studio1087 likes this.
  7. PARCO

PARCO Tele-Meister

A Tele and a Pro Jr and I'm done.

Besquire and charlie chitlin like this.
  8. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Pure

Besquire likes this.
  9. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

There's a story about Bloomfield showing up on a Dylan session sans case...he just knocked the snow off his Tele and he was ready to go.

10. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

If I could only have one guitar it would probably be a good acoustic. Maybe a J-45 or a D-28. Kind of makes an amp pointless.

PARCO likes this.
  11. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Electrically speaking, I have "officially" down-sized to 2 Tele's, and 2 amps: a Roland Blues Cube Hot (Fender Tweed) and an Orange 35RT .

Acoustically speaking, I have "officially" down-sized to 2 Martin Road Series acoustic/electrics, and 1 amp: a Yorkville Acoustic Master AM150.

I am now, officially, a senior citizen, and this setup is an ideal and headache-free solution that works for me.

12. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I’ll go for my ‘56 Strat and ‘66 Deluxe Reverb.

13. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

As 3fngrs says, if you really mean one, it would have to be acoustic, then the amp is a moot question.

But it looks like we get to forget about acoustics, so I'll just forget about the five acoustics I have. I'd hate to choose among them anyway.

Electrics are easier. I only have one amp now, my old Peavey Classic 50 twin. That'll be fine. I don't really want to, but I could let go my first electric, a Takamine GX-200T, because I've developed a taste that runs toward single coil pickups and wider nut widths.

That leaves me with my four blueprint teles. Having built each one myself, I hate to let any of them go, and each has its own charm. But if I had to make the choice, it's a no-brainer: Simple J. Malarkey, my first one--my son made its mahogany body from an old board that was given to me--is closest to "real Tele" specs with its Green Onions pickups, and its mahogany/ebony neck is very comfortable for me. I should take a picture of Ol' Simple with the amp. I'll post it here if I get that done in time to edit.

Mechanic likes this.
  14. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

This is, on the surface, a chance for all of us to either fantasize about our ideal one guitar paired-up with our dream amplifier
    or
    to trot out photos of our finest (and most expensive) guitar and amp.

I'm going to be more practical about it.
    I'm going to approach this in a methodical, scientific manner, I guess that's what I am saying.

Fact: I own a lot of really nice guitars and nearly as many really nice amplifiers.
    Fact also: They all have their pros and cons, and I love them all for their fine features and their down-sides as well.
    Undeniable fact: They are all great, but most of them are unbelievably heavy. And some of them are pretty much one-trick ponies.

The bottom line: If I only get one guitar and one amp from my entire collection of 20 guitars and 12 amplifiers, I have to go with the most versatile, lightweight, gig-ready guitar that will stay in tune, and the most versatile, lightweight amplifier that sounds great, is gig-ready, and which can offer effects. (Remember, the OP didn't allow for pedals. Just one guitar and one amp.)

So, here is my one guitar and my one amp.
    Both of them really versatile, lightweight, and ready to play before a live audience.

A really old, inexpensive, used Ibanez Gio GAX30 that stays in tune, and a four year old, also inexpensive Peavey Vypyr VIP-2.

A great, sturdy guitar and a wall of tones, (dozens of effects and modeling amp combos built into the amp), and you can spill beer on either of them, and they will just shake it off and keep rocking.

Just about the two cheapest items in my entire life's collection, but if you made me go to play a gig tonight with just one guitar and one amp, this would have to be it.

*boom*, that's how you do it right there.
    :)

gax30 with Peavey.jpg

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  15. bodevelho

bodevelho Tele-Meister

Do a search on "desert island rig"

Its pretty pointless, some people play more than one or two styles of music and as versatile as a Tele or ____ (fill in the blank) can be some things just don't sound very good on some set ups.

(OTOH some people would argue that nothing I play sounds very good on anything I play.)

Artists (including musicians) seem to go through periods where they are glued to one set of tools, but they also tend to move on, even if its refinements.

16. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

If it has to be electric, probably a Les Paul and a Marshall.

17. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

One spouse, one house

18. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

My MIM Classic 50s Tele through my Reinhardt 18x1 (12) combo is the sound (tone, if you will) that I’ve wanted since forever. My other electro guitars (74 LP Special, SG, strat) are cool through the Reinhardt but that cheap ass Tele rules

19. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

You're freaking out the squares with this setup. Nice to see some real gear on here.

charlie chitlin likes this.
  20. doguitar

doguitar TDPRI Member

Maybe some some lemon pledge.....
    consuela.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.