1/8"-plug speakers to connect electric piano with outboard speaker/amp w/ some oomph?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RoscoeElegante, Aug 25, 2019.

1. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Hey, all. Hope this finds you well. Gorgeously autumnal morning here in southwest Virginny.

So I recently bought a Korg B1 for portable, realistic-enough piano sounds on local gigs. Kind of stopgap, as a really high-end piano + B3-imitating thang is (way) down the economic road. It is good enough, with among the better "natural" sounding piano tones I've heard from a lowish-end electric. Pretty good keyboard feel, too. (Not interested in its minimally meh-ish other onboard sounds.)

The problem is that its onboard speakers, while good for playing solo at home, are pretty quiet even turned all the way up, and mic'ing them isn't always feasible. It has a 1/8" headphones jack, but the only speakers I have for that are old computer ones. These are an active system that are loud enough, but they distort just when they're reaching high-enough volume levels for even an acoustic gig.

So what would be a GOOD set of as-affordable-as-possible, 1/8" plug-in outboard speakers here? Something I can plug in to give the B1 elbow room in, say, an acoustic gig where the vocals and guitars may be mic'd?

Is going through a small amp advised, assuming a good 1/8" to 1/4" plug/adapter won't monkey-wrench the signal chain?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  2. RoscoeElegante

Bump, and also, would studio monitors work here? Once I rig 'em up to receive the signal from the 1/8" output? I got a fine set of those.

Can a 1/8" line be coupled into a 1/4" jack and be fed into a pre-amp (and thence to the studio monitors that the pre-amp is already rigged to)? That would be a great solution, as I could then tweak settings to give the keyboard a richer as well as louder sound....

Doable? So much so that you're wondering, Is this guy REALLY so dumb that he has to ask this?

3. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

5D1C65A7-EEB8-4A5D-B88E-DFBBC6088AE2.jpeg C2E86838-F61F-4EAB-8F6B-719751980D6D.jpeg Yep... mini jack to 1/4” adaptor into a 40-60w bass or keyboard amp or even a mini jack to stereo adaptor to a desk/preamp & monitors should work fine.

RoscoeElegante, KG7IL and Steve 78 like this.
  4. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

Roscoe, many of the powered speakers for PA and monitors now have an 1/8” jack on the back. I have a 200W one that I use for vocals/guitar on solo gigs that was $165 a couple years ago. I don’t have a particular make/model to recommend, but check out the various powered speakers and see if there is one that meets your needs and budget.

RoscoeElegante likes this.
  5. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Yep. A self powered wedge monitor is a good idea. You will probably lose the onboard speakers when you plug into the earphone jack so it will double for monitoring and amplification for small gigs.

6. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

I would get an A/V direct box that has an 1/8" TRS input & route that to the house board or into your favorite powered speaker such as a JBL Eon or any of the QSC models. There are cheaper units available.

7. fnkmstr

fnkmstr Tele-Meister

inputadapter.jpg This is what you need. Sorry for the crappy photo w/shadows. 1/8 to 1/4 adapter. $3 or so at the hardware store. It'll let you plug into a real deal amp/preamp, pick your poison.

8. RoscoeElegante

Thanks, all! I was so disappointed w/ the keyboard's low volume, so sure I had to send it back, that it took some help plowing the sludge aside to realize the simple solution right in front of me. Pretty sure I have all I need already on hand.

Thanks again. My oldest son, particularly, loves accompanying his old man, and this will allow everyone to be properly heard.

fnkmstr likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.