1-15" cabinet for a SF SR amp, builders?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Ringo, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

A good friend of mine has a 73 Super Reverb. He is thinking about getting a 1-15 combo cabinet that will fit the SR chassis.
    He likes the sound of my 1960 Vibrasonic with the 15" speaker.
    One consideration is that the SR is bulky to haul around , a 1-15 combo would be a lot smaller and a bit lighter.
    I know ideally he would need to either get a 2 ohm speaker or change the output transformer to one with multi taps so he could run 4/8/16 ohm.
    He is planning on keeping the 4-10 cabinet, so he could always swap back.

In the past I've seen some suggestions here for reasonable priced cabinet builders, so hit me up and let me know.

Thanks

2. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

JD Newell built me a 1 x 15 BF style in the last year. Real nice and light. 22 x 22 x 11 $239 he said 4 weeks due to how busy he was but it was faster. He's done several over the years for me and always real nice.
    A baffle change would be easier and I doubt the extra pine would be more than a pound or two to keep the cab size the same. Assuming he wants a combo cab he could save some height with a custom cab, but gonna need wide for the chassis. SPAM: BTW, I have a 15" baffle for a SR.

Andy B and Wally like this.
  3. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

I have a 1 x 15" cabinet into which I often slide my '68 SR chassis and use a Weber Z-matcher between the SR 2-ohm output and the 8-ohm 15" JBL/D130.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    spellcaster likes this.
  4. Ringo

Thanks for the suggestions. I think he would prefer a smaller cabinet as it would be easier to transport.
    I didn't think about the Weber Z matcher, we will have to check that out.

5. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Has your friend played his SR through your 15” speaker? I suppose something like a Z matched would be handy for that, too. That Vibrasonic circuit is a bit different from a Super Reverb, and a speaker change might not get him there.

6. Ringo

We know it won't sound exactly like my Vibrasonic. More like a Vibroverb , lot's of folks were making Bandmaster Reverb amps into 1-15 combos and the Super Reverb is same size chassis w bigger iron.

Wally likes this.
  7. schmee

I have used a big 15" EV in a cab that is about 18 x 18. it sounded pretty good actually. The speaker barely fit between the cleats for the baffle board. The cab was about 10" + deep at the bottom.

8. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

It will sound like a C. Diaz modified AB763 Vibroverb, maybe...if you get the impedance matched up. A TR OT would work with an 8 ohm speaker. That is how one of the SRV VV Amps was done.

BobbyZ likes this.
  9. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

If you can find a transformer that sends 8 ohms to the speaker ... AND is a direct replacement with no new holes drilled, that would fix the issue. Could keep the old transformer with the old cabinet, and it would be an easy swap to put everything back to original.

10. Ringo

Yeah I told my buddy his options would be a 2 ohm speaker , changing the output transformer to a multi ohm unit or get an impedance matcher.

Wally likes this.
  11. Wyatt

Wyatt Tele-Afflicted

Mather built my 1x15 Vibroverb cab for my ‘66 Super Reverb. I’ve worked with some good can makers, but Mather was the most professional, told me exactly what week my cab would be done/shipped and met that deadline on the dot.

The SR chassis has holes for both the large SR/Bassman OT and the small Vibroverb/Vibrolux/Pro Reverb sized OT, so you can ise either size. Inwent with the smaller Vibroverb OT bexauae I prefer the earlier compression. And, obviously, one can get mutli-tapped OT’s to match their needs (mine is 2/4/8 ohms)

Luthier Vandros likes this.
  12. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

13. doguitar

doguitar TDPRI Member

I got this one on eBay from seller BandMate in Wisconsin. Solid pine, finger jointed, etc.
    Got a Weber 50W 15A150A Alnico 15". I love this cab for it's big round brown sound.
    Makes a great match with my Blues Junior. Huge sounding!
    IMG_1303.JPG

Attached Files:

FenderLover likes this.
  14. Ringo

Looks like a nice cabinet but I was talking about a combo cabinet to convert a Super Reverb into a 1-15 combo amp.

15. schmee

SPAM: BTW, I have a 15" baffle for a SR.

BobbyZ likes this.
  16. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

If weight and moving it around is a concern , why not split it up using a head and a separate speaker cab ?
    Changing the baffle probably wont be that easy on a 73 , as the original is glued in
    If he is used to 4 alnico speakers in there , even a single 15 wont be that much lighter , I guess
    Different OT with multi tab could be used.
    Changing it to run with 6V6´s would change the req impedance to 4 ohms , ......I think ?

17. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

JD Newell

18. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

I put a BFSR in a 2x10 JD Newell cabinet. Great quality cabinet.

IMG_20120715_173146.jpg
    IMG_20120715_165934.jpg

doguitar likes this.
  19. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Afflicted

I just dropped my '61 Brownface Pro off with Jeff Earl at J Design to place it in a new lighter cab with an Eminence Lil Texas.
    The original cab with a D130 was getting to be too much to lift at my age. The new cab will not only be made from pine but will be a few inches shorter than the Pro cab. Cost for the cab will be around $245

20. schmee

I once ordered a 4 x 10 Cab for my BFDR, I think it was my first from Newell. I really wish I had kept that cab dammit! A 6V6 Super Reverb!

FenderLover likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.