1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

$1,000--Tone Master or Tube?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by IMadeYouReadThis, Oct 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Donnie55

Donnie55 Tele-Afflicted

princeton4.jpg

IMadeYouReadThis likes this.
  2. Donnie55

Donnie55 Tele-Afflicted

Princeton..

3. Revelation

Revelation Tele-Meister

I have a Fender Twin 65 RI and absolutely love it. I put wheels on it and it made all the difference as I use it in a worship band. There is nothing like 6L6 tubes to give you that chimey sound that they are known for. The amp takes pedals really well too. I usually use the amp between volume 2 and 3.

If the amp is too big and heavy, I would suggest the Reverb Deluxe over the Princeton. The larger 12" speaker for one, and the higher wattage amp which provides a clearer sound without breakup as fast.

4. Doctor Blue

Doctor Blue TDPRI Member

Valves, all the way. Doesn't have to be Fender, but I have two: a Blues Deluxe and a Deluxe Reverb. Very different beasts, but both great.

5. Maps & Guitars

Maps & Guitars TDPRI Member

If you haven't seen That Pedal Show on youtube, they just did a shootout between the Fender Deluxe Reverb and the Tonemaster, specifically with pedals in mind. They came down pretty solidly on the side of the Deluxe's tone, while grudgingly noting that it was, at 22 watts, still more power than most players need in this day and age.

I think you can get the Deluxe Reverb used for under your budget.

Princeton's got 12 watts, IIRC? I haven't had a chance to try one, but am told they're sublime. It's not going to have the headroom of a Deluxe.

6. Jjmatashi

Jjmatashi TDPRI Member

The Celestion Alnico Gold in a Princeton is not the best route. I was enamored of that speaker for a while, and have had both 10" and 12" versions in Deluxe Reverbs and Princeton Reverbs. Its a killer speaker for the right application -it is more tweed than blackface, and would be more at home in a Vox, for instance. I've also had a Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb, and while it was ok in isolation, compared to its tube cousins the difference was clear (I had 4 DR's at one time, the Tonemaster included).

Depending on your volume/clean headroom needs, I would recommend the Deluxe Reverb Reissue and replace the stock speaker with a Cannabis Rex or Eminence Alsessandro. The DRRI is an utterly beautiful amplifier especially since you can get them used in the $600-700 range.

7. Braden Micona

Braden Micona TDPRI Member

I gotta say, I was sure all of internet hated the TM amps because of an inherent bias, so I had to try one. Went to guitar center just this last weekend, played through both the twin and the deluxe. They sounded fantastic....

...until I swapped the cable into the tube version.

There is no comparison. I wanted the features of the TM to make it the perfect amp, but there's a life and richness that just wasn't there.

Princeton 100%.

8. Jjmatashi

Jjmatashi TDPRI Member

9. David C

David C Tele-Meister

I suspect the Princeton Tone Master is the next amp in the series.

10. David C

David C Tele-Meister

Go with the new Tone Master, you won't regret it. I bought one a few months back and it sounds every bit the same as the tube amp, despite what people here want to think otherwise. You get two 12 inch neodymium speakers that are gorgeously capable. You get an attenuator, so the two speakers are able to be put down to very low bedroom volumes without any loss of tone. It weighs only 34 pounds, I picked it up out of the box with one hand. As far as peddles, the thing is legendary. I don't know if you use a mic with your amp, but you get an XLR output also.

These amps are the future for Fender and I wouldn't worry about what anyone else says.

11. Terrygh1949

Terrygh1949 Tele-Meister

Twin. I had a tube twin, loved the amp and sound but, too heavy and, too much power.
    The new twin is lighter, can be dialed down In power. I had a princeton back in the 60s, nice amp but, not enough power for any gig.
    I would get the twin. Got all the goodies in one package.

12. Kbore

Kbore TDPRI Member

[QUOTE="IMadeYouReadThis, post: 10192912, member: 142152" Which one is more capable for bedroom levels, or band levels? If you were given $1000 for a Fender amp, would you go TM Twin or Tube Princeton? Why?[/QUOTE]

Either one will give you hearing damage in the bedroom. I cant turn my Princeton above 3 in the house.

IMadeYouReadThis and Anacharsis like this.
  13. skidders

skidders TDPRI Member

I absolutely love my Fender Deluxe Reverb.

14. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

15. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Holic

There are practical considerations (in terms of volume available while staying clean - and minimum volume before breakup or even compression), and those have already been well covered. Beyond that, try 'em out, preferably double blind. Only you know what you like, and conventional wisdom plus two bucks will get you a cup of coffee. :)

16. hotdotdog

hotdotdog TDPRI Member

If you change the Princeton to a solid state rectifier you will greatly raise the clean headroom.

17. IMadeYouReadThis

IMadeYouReadThis Tele-Meister

Now that I've let the thread roll a little, I guess I'll get a little more specific. For my situation, I want to have one amp that can do bedroom practice, keep up in rehearsal with a jazz combo (drums, bass, another guitar, 2 horns), and play small gigs with drums, vibes, and tenor sax. I lean towards the Princeton because it has only one channel and, counter-intuitively, sounds less compressed than a Deluxe. I do wonder if a Princeton can keep up with the jazz combo, though, and that's where the Alnico Gold comes in. Or, I could just buy the Twin. Thoughts?

18. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

The Tonemaster??? A Cyber Deluxe for 2020. ;)

19. OneOcean

OneOcean TDPRI Member

Have you considered splitting the difference with a used '65 Deluxe Reverb reissue for around $750? It has the blackface tone you want, tubes, and at 22 watts, enough clean headroom to play with a band and still be reasonable for the living room when turned down. The Princeton Reverb or Deluxe Reverb are both really loud for a bedroom when the volume is turned up where it needs to be to get the best tone out of them. They won't damage your ears like a twin would, but any close neighbors will be onto you. All the Blackface amps take pedals like boosts and overdrives well into the front end. If you use a lot of time-based and modulation effects such as delays, reverbs, chorus then you might be better off with an amp that has an effects loop.

20. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Very interesting. I have a DRRI and love it. But if the TM sounded just as good, because of all the added features, and lighter weight, I would be interested in swapping. But ONLY if it sounds just as good. I have not had the chance to do a side-by-side comparison. So I am always very interested in what other people say. I have had the experience before with certain amps that sounded fabulous at home by myself, but disappeared in the mix once I tried it with the band. So I am wary of bringing new things home without thorough vetting.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.