1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

$1,000--Tone Master or Tube?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by IMadeYouReadThis, Oct 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChicagoFats53

ChicagoFats53 TDPRI Member

Maguchi likes this.
  2. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

Totally agree.

3. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Holic

LOL, you are probably more confused than before you asked! To be honest, I am probably one of many that are glad that you publicly asked this question.

I am finding this thread pretty fascinating. Lots of great opinions and observations.

I have a vested interest in this thread as I have been interested in the Tone Master Deluxe Reverb from afar for a couple of months now but have not yet had the pleasure for a test drive. I have even PM'd a couple of members for more opinions. My personal predicament is very similar, a used PRRI or a used TMDR...I know, two different amps, but those amps are in my head.

I have some very fond memories of a great sounding PRRI (or was it original, do not know) in my past, and it's pretty hard to suppress those.

Anyway, good luck @IMadeYouReadThis, enjoy the adventure.

IMadeYouReadThis likes this.
  4. Terrygh1949

Terrygh1949 Tele-Meister

Could not have said it better! I am a musician of over 50yrs and, you nailed it my friend.

pippoman likes this.
  5. tjnugent

tjnugent Tele-Meister

I use a Fender Tone Master Deluxe with an upgraded Celestion Creamback Neo. This amp sounds great live as well as any other situation. This is a working man's amp and it is so much more flexible than it's tube brother. I have no complaints. My other amp is a Marshall. I love tubes as well.

6. Mascis

Mascis TDPRI Member

Depending on your need for volume, a second hand 65 Twin Reissue or a 65 Deluxe Reissue is what I would recommend, you can get them for a great price with cash leftover for any replacement valves, speaker swaps or an attenuator for home use.

The Tone Master series is only suitable for three specific scenereos:

1. You're over 65 and therefore struggle to do any heavy lifting.
    2. You're unfit and therefore struggle to do any heavy lifting.
    3. You're lazy and therefore struggle to do any heavy lifting.

Maguchi likes this.
  7. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

I tried to install the reverb update on my tmtr. No luck, my Mac does not recognize the image I downloaded from fender.

IMadeYouReadThis and Mascis like this.
  8. thestratophile

thestratophile TDPRI Member

My mate came round the other day with his brand new Tone master DR and we did a side by side comparison with my old DRRI. The difference was stark. There's a lot to love about the tone master in terms of usability, especially at home, but for sheer fender tone ... no comparison: the tubes won the day .... easily.

9. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

Do you ever play Livemusic?

10. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Do tell of all your experience with the Tone Master. Please enlighten us!

11. Jlj1964

Jlj1964 NEW MEMBER!

Great question. I have many opinions on this. The guys from That Pedal Show do an amazing shootout between the DRRI and the TMDR. Now I know your asking about a TMTR and a Princeton. The Princeton will offer you gorgeous cleans. The 10” Celestion Alnico Gold stays cleaner... a little longer. But a Princeton’s a Princeton... And sounds amazing when cranked to 10. Now they can be overpowered in SOME live situations. A killer drummer and a band of professionals who watch their volume and dynamics will help. The TMTR will be significantly louder and have more headroom. In fact, they don’t really break up at all. Now I don’t recall if I played it on the lower wattage settings during my testing. :/ They take pedals well ish. (I work as a guitar tech at a local shop. We had one for a while) Which may be your thing. You WILL lose some tube warmth and response, sag, breakup...( in a live mix it sometimes isn’t audible, it’s totally a feel thing) but you’ll gain a super light amp with the ability to change watts, and run direct to front of house. Not something I see mentioned much. So if that’s what you want then great. Now if you need a Twin Reverb, um. No. Heavy. Too loud.
    If I had 1000 dollars. I’d get a DRRI. Every time. Shoot. With a 1k you could almost get a ‘65DR. The DRRI is loud! But also sounds good at 2. I have a pregnant wife who likes to sleep. Trust me. I also play live in clubs, amphitheater’s, churches...etc. The DRRI isn’t that heavy, takes pedals beautifully, has warm tube driven reverb and tremolo, And it breaks up nicely, especially a ‘65. Seriously, go plug into a DR or a DRRI somewhere. You’ll take one home. That being said, if you need direct out, wattage changing, and light weight go TMTR. In some live mixes it may not matter. So again. What are your specific needs vs compromise vs wants? Weigh all that out. Don’t listen to the forums as much. Trust your ears. Before investing 1k, find somewhere to play one or get it from a dealer who accepts returns.
    Some one here sold a Vibrolux for a TM. That boggles my mind.

I can’t do the comparison justice. That Pedal Show. Go check that episode out on YouTube. Cheers!!

12. goodguy

goodguy TDPRI Member

Had my witty quips “Tone Masher” -or- “Tone Bastard” ready to go on release day... but Fender comes out with an actual GOOD amp ... I coulda been a TDPRI legend :( (I still got dibs if these amps starts glitching out in 30 years).

MilwMark and eddiewagner like this.
  13. Jlj1964

Jlj1964 NEW MEMBER!

Excellent response. Accurate.

Maguchi likes this.
  14. pippoman

pippoman Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

What?! I haven’t played through one, but I’ve heard a lot of new SS amps that sound great! I own two vintage tube amps which is pretty common, but I gig with a Quilter MicroPro analog SS amp with no shame. “Throwaway?” Really?

drri and MilwMark like this.
  15. drri

drri Tele-Meister

I've owned both, DR (sold after I got the Twin caused I preferred the 2x12's) and currently own the Twin Tone Master..... The Twin has served me well for a few gigs earlier this year and toting back and forth to rehearsal, it's allowed me to crank up and still be at a good volume with the band. Also very pedal friendly..... Having said that, it's currently for sale (on Reverb and eBay and TGP) simply because there's an "it" factor for me the way tubes does and I need to move some gear so this one is going.... If it turns out I can't sell it though (certainly not giving it away) I'd be just as happy keeping it as a backup just in case. It's a fun digital amp, it's not meant to replace it's tube counterpart. But it is a really good useful tool.... My problem was I pretty much sold all my tube amps when I bought these, i was in the honeymoon phase with them... Should have just bought one of them and kept everything else... I'm paying for it now. lol

16. mmannaxx

mmannaxx Tele-Meister

I sold a 1981 Vibrolux last year for exactly $1000. And I had just had it serviced. Just decided I wasn't going to use an amp that heavy any more. Sounded wonderful though.

Maguchi likes this.
  17. pippoman

pippoman Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

My friend and local amp builder guru here in Memphis absolutely hates working on the Fender RI amps with pcbs. He doesn’t mind my vintage amps at all and can in fact build a DR in a few hours from parts. . . . By memory! I’ve been gigging wit Quilters the last several years with no issues, but ymmv.

18. Chikubi

Chikubi Tele-Meister

When you say the Mac doesn't recognize the file, what specific error are you getting? The .img file is not something for the Mac to open, you're only supposed to copy it to the amp and the amp uses it itself to update.

PBO Blues, eddiewagner and Mascis like this.
  19. Mascis

Mascis TDPRI Member

Yes I play out live a lot...until recently. Can't wait to get back into it.

Maguchi likes this.
  20. kippy74

kippy74 TDPRI Member

A little Marshall Lead 12 does for at home, it's solid state but can go toe to toe with some lesser tube amps.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.