1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

$1,000--Tone Master or Tube?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by IMadeYouReadThis, Oct 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

The FRV-1 were and still are overpriced. And they filter the crap out of highs of the incoming signal. And they only do one thing. That one thing is pretty ok, but petty far down the totem pole from an actual spring reverb tank.

The Tre-verb has the functionality I'm looking for, but it sounds alot like most other digital spring and tremolo pedals to me. Simplified and generic and digital. I think the Strymon Flint sounds better overall. The Flint leans on the dark side and has it's digitalness, but it doesn't sound generic. And the harmonic tremolo on the Flint sounds nice.

2. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I don't know anything about the Tre-Verb.

We hear the FRV-1 differently, that's for sure. I don't know what you mean about filtering the highs. If anything, it's quite bright.

In fact, I picked it over my outboard tank. Not due to convenience, but because an outboard tank tends to darken the signal overall, and the FRV-1 could make the sounds the tank could, plus more (except for the tank "crash" but I rarely need or want that).

I don't want a reverb to do more than one thing. I just like to get a sound I like and roll with it.

Different strokes and all that.

Nahtabot likes this.
  3. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

The sound of the reverb is bright but much less so for the sound of the incoming signal. It's a very common complaint with that pedal that it muffles drive pedals, for example. And that is because of how it filters the incoming signal.

4. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

Princeton. I had a Princeton Recording amp until the encoder for the built in attenuator went bad (and no replacement part available in the world). Loved that amp. Even as a clean Princeton it worked well and had plenty of power. If you crank it, it will blow you out of your apartment, but that is what dirt pedals are for....LOL

That Cal Webway likes this.
  5. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Afflicted

As a former wedding photographer who shot on Kodak VPS and Fujicolor in medium format for over 25 years, I might like to have those films available for the occasional portrait session, now that I’ve retired. But my medium format cameras are now worth jack squat, especially since 220 roll film was discontinued in 2018. In order to work wedding and event photography again, I’d have to invest in a high-end digital SLR system with full-frame image sensors, multiple bodies,and multiple lenses. Along with a powerful Mac and a full Photoshop suite.

Or, I could buy an iPhone 12 Pro Max and shoot in the new ProRAW format.

Or, I could buy an iPhone 12 Pro and use my studio lighting, and spend significantly less, editing on my iPad’s limited Photoshop suite. Oh, yeah. I did.

Perhaps the photography metaphor isn’t the best comparator in this case.

black_doug and PBO Blues like this.
  6. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

I don't think the day is too far off where the photography metaphor or the multi-track recording metaphor will apply to guitar amps. In fact that day may be closer than many guitar players are willing to accept.

ataylor, IMadeYouReadThis and Ronzo like this.
  7. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I think the bottom line is that when we feel compelled to A/B stuff, we're just too weak to trust that the given piece of gear in front of us either sounds good, or it doesn't.

You can spend your whole life second-guessing everything. There are probably critical times when that may actually be warranted. But with gear to make noise? I've got a thousand better ways to spend my time, personally.

8. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I think that for many people the comparisons are nothing more than a way to validate their opinion that what they personally prefer is superior to what they don’t like.

ataylor, Chud, MilwMark and 2 others like this.
  9. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Holic

Tube Princeton, more complex sound, more variety, sound changes subtly or not subtly depending on how you pick. Not limited by repeating the several digital snapshots of sounds that are in a Tonemaster. 20200901_153657.jpg

That Cal Webway likes this.
  10. saleake

saleake Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I have played Fender Deluxe Reverbs since 1972. I am a big fan of the Tone Master Deluxe Reverb amps. I play country music and have a black one and a blonde one that I gig with.

I also own a ‘65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue and a (real) 1968 Deluxe Reverb.

I saw Brent Mason about two weeks ago and he was playing a black Tone Master Deluxe Reverb.

11. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

:lol::lol::lol: Not laughing at the PRRI recommendation, just your Luddite laden description of digital modeling tech. ;););)

12. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

Clearly this Brent Mason bozo doesn’t understand good tone as well as some of TRPRI's basement players. He should hang around here - maybe he’d learn a thing or two.

JimInMO, PBO Blues, LPTyler and 3 others like this.
  13. pinchegil

pinchegil Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

Buy a Katana Artist, and Build a 5e3 have both, a moddler and a real amp

14. rstaaf

rstaaf Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

If there is one thing I have learned on forums over the years, most threads that go beyond 10 pages are picture threads or silly arguments that will NEVER be settled ;)

Beavis-and-Butt-Head-Eating-Popcorn-Watching-MTV.gif

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  15. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Comparing gear is absolutely normal. How many times have I gone to a music store to try several guitars, amps, or pedals in the flesh before plunking down my hard earned cash and walking off with my choice? Many, many times. It’s called “shopping”.

“We’re just too weak to trust...”? Phooey. We want to buy what we like the best after test driving our well researched potential candidates. That’s not weakness. It’s being a savvy shopper.

16. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Brent Mason can play whatever he wants with access to mountains of gear. The acid test is what would he use in the studio if he were laying down tracks for his own song. But the fact that he will use one live certainly suggests it is acceptable if not perhaps his favorite. But us normal folks can only afford and justify a couple, maybe three amps. Or maybe just one. In that case we’re looking for “the one”, and merely acceptable ain’t good enough.

Mike M and StevesBoogie like this.
  17. Kmaxbrady

Kmaxbrady Tele-Meister

I say get a used DRRI. The TMs are great. But you’ll always wonder...

Maguchi and Mascis like this.
  18. IMadeYouReadThis

IMadeYouReadThis Tele-Meister

I was just looking for an amp recommendation, and apparently I struck a nerve. Funny how this stuff works.

gsdrgsxr and Ignatius like this.
  19. rstaaf

rstaaf Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I would just buy what makes you happy. If you are going to gig with it, you are going to hear any differences more so than your audience will ;)

IMadeYouReadThis likes this.
  20. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I think I would get a silver face dlx reverb or twin for my 1k.

Maguchi likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.