1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

009s on a Tele...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by aadvark, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Chadfish

Chadfish TDPRI Member

Lighter gauge strings definitely work better in a mix. 10 years ago I went to 10s on all my guitars thinking the phatter sound would be cool, but after watching this video I went back to 9s on everything. Sounds better, and I play better with less effort.

pippoman likes this.
  2. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

I'm down from 10 - 52 to 9.5 - 44 and am happy today. Tomorrow? Who knows? I used to think I was the only one that overanalyzes all this stuff, tone, string gauge, alnico vs. ceramic, slide on ring or pinky, ad infinitum. Then I started hanging around here with all you fellow obsessives. ;)

3. COOPSTER

COOPSTER TDPRI Member

I recently discovered GHS Boomers 9-42s and couldn't be more pleased. Round core instead of hex, made in Battle Creek Michigan since 1964. Went from 10-46 to 9-42s on my strats so much better imho.

crowhaven2000 and aadvark like this.
  4. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

11s on Jags
    10s on Jets
    09s on longer scales.

I'm not in the mood to fight with guitars.

5. notroHnhoJ

notroHnhoJ Tele-Meister

I’ve got this set on my Bigsby equipped Gretsch, I like it quite a bit. Seems the right amount of tension to kind of drive a hollow body and still be able to rock.

6. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

For me I have found the best of both worlds for 25.5 inch scale is 10’s on the bottom and 8’s on the top.

7. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Afflicted

I love Rhett Shulls channel. His conclusion...9's. This video is worth the watch. He compares each gauge. Same guitar, amp, settings, etc. Only thing that changed was the strings. Tone didn't change really. It was more about feel and ease of playing to him. The guy can play incredibly also. Warning, if you don't have a TIMMY pedal, prepare to want one after this.......

8. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Afflicted

o_O No no no no no

9. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

Way back, in the day, I used .008-.052. Custom all the way.
    Now it's 10s on Fenders, 11s on Gibsons. I still like a slightly heavier bass string, but I have adapted.

10. Gary135r

Gary135r Tele-Meister

Kind of like using a mechanical keyboard with cherry browns. You have to learn that light touch.

11. pippoman

pippoman Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

As you’re getting older you’re getting smarter and realize lighter strings are easier to play regardless of age - and you don’t lose tone. I used to use 11s on my Gibsons, but a friend talked me into trying 10s and they felt great. With the shorter scale 9s felt too slinky on the Gibsons, but either 9.5s or 9s work well on my Fenders. If I tune down a half step on my Strat, 10s or 11s are both good. I go as light as my picking technique will allow. Screw all that macho crap and work bending heavy strings! Just saying.
    I once picked my Strat up from a music store after having it set up with 10s. The cocky, skinny tech working there who did the setup boasted he used 12s on his. I noodled around a minute or so on my guitar, handed it back to him and said “would you mind putting 9s back on this?” You could’ve heard a pin drop. I had asked for 9s in the first place.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  12. pippoman

pippoman Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Wow! Everyone needs to watch this if they’re serious about string gauge selection, and if they’re open minded. Thanks for posting.

telestratosonic likes this.
  13. Dik Ellis

Dik Ellis Tele-Meister

I use 10-38's on all my electrics, save one, 9-42 on my Parker Fly Classic. They were Fender 150's that were used by Jimi and Duane. Then Fender quit making them, why I'll never know. I especially loved the Super Bullets in this gauge. Thank the stars for GHS, who makes a light-extra light 10-38 strings. Yeah, I know Fender makes the "Hendrix" strings, big deal. Geez, who isn't cashing in on Jimi? But the GHS strings are A-OK, in my book. I buy individual strings for when I break one, and so I don't bust up a set.

14. SapoAmpRepair

SapoAmpRepair TDPRI Member

I'm a big fan. I use super slinkys (.009's) on all my guitars ... which are mostly telecasters.

15. Viking_Hillbilly

Viking_Hillbilly TDPRI Member

When I use anything 9-42 or less, my fretted notes nearer the nut go sharp, particularly if the frets are taller. When I use 10-46 I have no such issues. I used to use 11-52 sets on my teles until I started getting cramps in my left arm when playing. I dropped down to 10-46 and the cramping cleared up. The 11-52s are now used only on guitars I set up for slide.

My Nocaster relic has lower “vintage” frets and I recently dropped down to a 9.5-44 and have no issues with notes going sharp. I tried 9.5-44 on other guitars with higher frets and the issue with sharp notes returned. I guess I need to develop a lighter touch.

So go with what is comfortable for you and your playing style.

pippoman and T Prior like this.
  16. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Afflicted

A long time ago I used EB Slinky 010's exclusively, for many years.
    About 10 years ago I switched to EB Super Slinky .009's and never tried any other gauges (except for my Micawber 5 string tribute guitar).

I just got in some of these .010 - .038's and my initial impression is just WOW!
    Whaaaat! Holy Carp! these string are da BOMB! :cool:

I bought the S.I.T. set cuz they are the cheapest that Strings by Mail have in this gauge, and if I didn't like them I'm not out too much.

Well I'm gonna have to check out some of the other brands, cuz if you couldn't tell yet, I really like this gauge. :D

I never would have thought the gauge would really matter that much.
    I definitely hear a difference AND I like how they feel.

Nick Fanis likes this.
  17. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Best improvement ever in my sound in the forty years I play guitar.
    It is impossible now to use a different string set ,they all sound unbalanced.

18. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Or have your frets dressed to a slightly lower height ! It pays to know what your guitar fret heights are. That way you already know 9's or 9.5's may not work. Its not the guitar, its not the tuners, its not the strings, it IS the fret heights and that can be adjusted to your liking.

We read constantly that "my guitar doesn't like those strings". Well, there is a "technical specification" reason for that. Guitars are made of wood, they don't have a brain or an opinion !

Each of my guitars have fret heights in the .042/.043 range, the newest guitar, the Brent Mason Tele, has frets in the . 047 range, 9's are not a good fit but 9.5's just make it. It came with 10's. If the frets were any taller , for me, it would be an issue.

we should know our instruments.:)

Viking_Hillbilly and Nick Fanis like this.
  19. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Afflicted

anything other than 9n's is just labour and i hate work

pippoman likes this.
  20. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I would suggest D'Addario's 9.5 gage. They seem to be the sweet spot for me. Light and easy to bend yet not so easy to push out of tune when playing them.

pippoman likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.