1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

009s on a Tele...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by aadvark, Jan 15, 2021.

1. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Afflicted

10s on my Tele and Gibsons. 11s on Strat, tuned down 1/2 step. Flat wound 12s on jazz box. 12s on acoustic.

2. Scotty 2

Scotty 2 Tele-Holic

It's all in the head of the beholder;)

wblynch and Chicago Matt like this.
  3. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

9's on everything.

4. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

9's on all of teles for 15 years ! Maybe I need a little longer to detect a problem. :(

5. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I use 9’s on Teles and Strats and 10’s on Gibsons. Less tension with Gibson’s shorter scale so 10’s are okay.
    Few folks hear the difference in thinner gauges. You have pickups, pedals and amps that alter tone for a “thicker sound”. That 0.001 inch ain’t making much difference.

aadvark likes this.
  6. Tele Plucker

Tele Plucker Tele-Meister

Been using 10-46 for as long as I can remember...but today I will be trying these (10-52) for a little extra bottom end stability and tone goodness.

All my Fenders have the 7.25 radius and bending is no problem what so ever.

3DFE6CA3-453C-4064-8755-6154F135112F.jpeg

7. Revelation

Revelation Tele-Meister

Telecasters have a bright and thin sound. For this reason I prefer 10's and heavier picks to give the Tele a fuller sound. Backing off a little on the treble knob of your amp helps as well.

8. Revelation

Revelation Tele-Meister

I respect your opinion but I disagree. Yes the E string is one gauge different but the other strings have more than a one gauge difference.

9. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Friend of Leo's

9s on my Teles and 9.5s on my LPJ. The only time I've really gone heavier was on a Strat that stayed in D tuning and that was only 10.

Always think 9s sound v good and I'm only using Ernie Balls.

10. Fullmoon07

Fullmoon07 Tele-Meister

I love Ernie Ball .08 Rock n Roll strings. They are so effortless and expressive. That myth that lighter stings have less tone is some macho thing like an amp that goes to 11. Rick Beato has a video with various players that test the theory and they found that lighter stings have a better tone.

gimmeatele likes this.
  11. Terrygh1949

Terrygh1949 Tele-Meister

Billy Gibbons used to use very heavy guage strings when he was younger. On the moving sidewalks tour with BB King him and BB traded guitars when they were visiting backstage and BB asked why he was using such heavy guage strings? Billy said to get that full sound, BB said why you wanna work so hard. From that time forward Billy went to very light guage all the way down to 7s. That is a true story.

12. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Holic

Who cares what everyone else uses, use what you are comfortable with. Don't worry about someone's opinion on why they use noting but 11's because they are not a wimp. My hand strength is not up to par. Maybe yours is. As I mentioned before, I use a lighter gauge and I am quite happy. Why be unhappy. If you like heavier strings, so be it. Strings are an inexpensive part of playing a guitar. Experiment. I just bought a used guitar that had 12's on it. Replaced the nut, intonated it, did a fret level and now it has 9's. Might even try 8.5's on it. :)

crowhaven2000 likes this.
  13. crowhaven2000

crowhaven2000 Tele-Meister

8.5's for me, and I could care less who thinks my strings are too light. I love'em. Each to his own. And as for easier playing and bending, it is a factor for me. I am old and my fingers hurt. So why should I play heavier strings when I prefer light? Good luck with YOUR decision and YOUR own thoughts on them. Lots of great tele players used light gauge strings, before their were forums. Opinions and peer pressure rules the guitar forums. Be a Maverick do what you like. They do require a lighter touch, which like anything else you get used to that. Might even make you play better who knows? JMHO

ricardo1912 likes this.
  14. crowhaven2000

crowhaven2000 Tele-Meister

That's kind of what I said. I love my 8.5's, and I never break them. GHS boomers for me. They make me very happy.

15. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

I have always used 9-42 on all of my electrics. Great tone and easy to play. The only problem I have encountered is that they do not have enough tension to hold the weight of my rather heavy glass slides. Even the lightest one I have is to heavy to keep it up off of the frets.

16. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

I think it's a myth that lighter strings sound thin. They don't. I don't know why you'd need anything heavier than 9s unless you were an extremely heavy-handed rhythm player.

17. teeny

teeny TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

18. Chuck berry

Chuck berry TDPRI Member

First it depends how hard you strum. Some seem to think you have strum really hard. To me thats ludicrous. The only thing it'll give you is ruinning your frets. Because you'll have to raise your bridge. And you will be pushing harder on your strings and soon gouge your frets.However its that the way you like it then your bridge has to risen some more and maybe the relief. As for 09's l love them. Its a preference to each.

19. teeny

teeny TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Yup, me-too, some years ago: D'Addario are my favourite, closely followed by Ernie Ball....use them on most of my guitars inc. A Les Paul (saves on weight :rolleyes:!) Teeny.

20. baiff

baiff Tele-Holic

I have 9's in standard tuning on my Esquire and 10's 1/2 step down on others. It depends on the guitar for me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.