1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

009s on a Tele...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by aadvark, Jan 15, 2021.

1. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

It's OK to use strings lighter than 10s, you can store them in your purse.
    BWAAAAAAHAHAHA.
    I'm in the process of dropping another step from hybrid 9-46 to straight 9s.

aadvark and stonetone7 like this.
  2. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

10s are for those slow players that like to hang on a chord. They need to feel the resistance and dominate it.

9s are for speed demons and people who need articulation and don't have time for resistance.

Addnine likes this.
  3. Addnine

Addnine Tele-Holic

I like 9's on a strat. (I usually even keep 8's on one.) On a Tele, 9's just feel sloppy and thin, so I use 10's or 11's on them. Generally, I like 10's for country (bends) and 11's for jazz (sterner, darker). (I wonder what Mike Stern uses?)

4. Addnine

Addnine Tele-Holic

I actually find that I am slower on anything thinner than 10's. The strings feel sloppy and imprecise when they're too thin. It may be that I play a lot of jazzboxes and often use a 5 mm-thick pick, so tht those thin jobs just get clobbered senseless by my fatso picks.

5. TeleinTX

TeleinTX Tele-Meister

I've never used below 9's on any electrics...I usually use 10's. I've always used Ernie Ball non-coated, but Ima try a set of EB Coated Slinky's 8-38. Supposedly Bill Gibbons uses 7's? That's too slinky for me. SRV used 12's and 14's. He must have had massive power in those fingers and concrete callouses.

I used to use 12's (Elixirs) on my acoustics, but now enjoy 11-52 Cleartones, but they also make a 9-42 which I'm ordering now as we speak.

Rhett Shull and Rick Beato have informative viddyuhz on how they came to lower their string gauges:

OmegaWoods and aadvark like this.
  6. Tele Jr

Tele Jr Tele-Holic

Agreed lighter strings gives you more range of nuance and control over the attack.

aadvark likes this.
  7. Cicada Nation

Cicada Nation Tele-Meister

I use 11s with a wound 3rd. I spent over a decade playing only acoustic and when I came back to electric, the lack of tension felt very weird. I love big ringing chords and I hate bad intonation.
    Also, I’m left handed and play guitar right handed. That may very well have something to do with it.

8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

9.5s did it for me.

9. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I like my tele tone to be somewhat in between the fatness of a les paul yet with some twang. In order to get that fatness takes the right combination of amp and pickups and lastly string guage. I find for me the perfect balance of big fat tone and twang is .010, .013, .017, .028, .038, .048. The ernie ball ultra slink has this custom gauge set that I like. I find going to 11's takes away too much twang for me.

notroHnhoJ likes this.
  10. OmegaWoods

OmegaWoods Tele-Meister

I have 8's on one of mine and 9's on the other. Strings are really cheap so give 'em all a try!!

Chicago Matt and aadvark like this.
  11. TeleBluesMan

TeleBluesMan Tele-Holic

My 64 AV Telecaster came with 10s.

12. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I use 17-78's on all my Teles.

Bends are for sissies.

:eek:

[​IMG]

13. Mojohand40

Mojohand40 Tele-Afflicted

I use 10s on most everything. Lately I switched to half rounds. Like the tone better. I had 11s on my mustang with it's short scale and with half rounds was getting a killer surf guitar sound. Had to switch to 10s though to get the trem right. Still sounds good though. May try flat wounds next on it.
    My tele with the hipshot g and b bender is my only one I put 9s on. Just works better.

14. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

I was 10's on everything for almost 3 decades. Injured my fretting hand a couple years ago & switched my Fenders to Ernie Ball 9-46 Hybrids. Love Em!!!

Still using 10's on my Gibsons though. I once bought a used Les Paul that had 8's & it was weird.

pippoman and aadvark like this.
  15. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I run similar gauges, but I often tune from standard to Drop D or G6 so I found a string set that works for all three tunings.

16. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

9? I can't play that rubbery thing

17. aadvark

aadvark Tele-Meister

I'm curious if you have a theory as to why radius and gauge are related...
    although, intuitively, I hear you...
    for me, the 9s are working on the flatter Gibson neck - even with the shorter scale...

Also, I really think it depends what you are wanting from each individual guitar.
    I like to bring out the character and style of each guitar and use it for specific roles... I think this comes from being predominantly a session player these days.

Anyway, thanks to all for the comments... certainly enough affirmation for me to give it a go... (amongst the usual variety of comments!)

Im left handed and play righty also, and I should add, am playing mostly with fingers on these lighter strings.

Not a lot of heavy crunching power chords left in me!

I've got a bunch of 9s coming, so I'll give 'em a go on a few guitars, and report back.

ps I forget to mention, frets seem to have a lot to do with it also... nice, new, well polished frets seem to go well with the 9s.

:)

Bob M likes this.
  18. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

010-038 (the classic "Jimmy Hendrix" gauge that wasn't exactly JH since almost everyone used it back in the day and was the std set for electric guitar).

It's basically a set with "8s" on the E,A and G strings and "10s" on the rest of them.

Best string set ever and the biggest improvement in my tone since I started playing guitar...(only cure about the "G string blues'' IMHO)

Now when I play any other string set it sounds horribly unbalanced to my ears.

Here's a relative article

https://www.guitarworld.com/artists/secrets-jimi-hendrixs-guitar-setup-interview-roger-mayer

I use the GHS set

https://www.thomann.de/gr/ghs_boomers_gb_lxl_10_38.htm

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    galaxiex likes this.
  19. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I use 8s on all radius and scale lengths.

eddiewagner and MrCairo46 like this.
  20. Bob M

Bob M Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I’m willing to say that it may be more of an issue with that particular guitar as opposed to the actual neck radius. For 25 years I had 2 guitars. A Martin D18 and a Tele with a 7.25 radius neck. I had nothing to compare it to. When I started collecting different guitars I noticed that my original Tele seemed to have some idiosyncrasies that the other guitars didn’t. I attributed it to the neck radius as that was the difference in the instruments.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.