1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

009s on a Tele...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by aadvark, Jan 15, 2021.

1. aadvark

aadvark Tele-Meister

I've just discovered the joys of 009-042 extra light strings on my Les Paul!
    (late to the party?!)

I've never used anything lighter than 10s on my Telecasters.
    even have 11-52 on one Tele and other semi-hollows etc.
    On my acoustics, I definitely love 12s, heavier for low tunings, but with acoustic guitars its more about getting the right amount of vibration into the soundboard.

Now I'm curious to try the 009s on a Tele.
    I am really surprised by the tone of these lighter strings.
    Yes, they are:
    - easier to bend (not my main priority - but its a bonus).
    - a little more delicate for tuning and intonation
    - require a softer touch.
    - may require some action/intonation adjustments - no biggy.

But mostly I am struck by the tone, expression/dynamics and feel of these lighter strings.
    (so far I've tried and like both round core and hex core round wounds - but have ordered the usual variety of brands, D'Arddario, Ernie Ball, etc, to try out on the '52.

I was originally a bass player, so the idea of such light strings seemed so foreign to me.

Anyone have a similar epiphany regarding the lighter gauge on a Tele.
    Will they be too 'thin' sounding a Tele?
    I am talking standard tuning.
    Especially interested to see what people with Vintage Teles use...

(I know these discussions have been had ad nauseam - but now I'm interested!)

Maguchi, RowdyHoo, ben smith and 3 others like this.
  2. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I mean, that's what they come with from Fender, so......... :D

Maguchi, guitdog1, Gary135r and 5 others like this.
  3. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have 2 Teles-one with a 7.25 radius and a more recent one with a 9.5 radius. It seems .009s work well on the 9.5 radius, not so much on the 7.25 neck. I have moved from .010s to .095s on the 7.25 neck and that has worked well. I'm finding as I get older I need the lighter gauge for easier playing.

4. IMadeYouReadThis

IMadeYouReadThis Tele-Meister

The last guitar I got has a 7.25 radius board. The factory strings were 9s, and I couldn't have been in a bigger hurry to take them off. They were just too loose and I really had to fight the intonation. I switched them out for 11s, and that solved all my problems. I've got a fairly light touch (I play 9s on my SG), but this tele needs more beef.

5. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

For teles the LIGHTER I go the better I sound...
    Started with 12-54 (due to the SR and internet BS about "heavier is better" in the early days) moved down to 11-50 (already the guitar started to breathe a bit) went down to 10-046 (HUGE improvement) than went to 010-038 (angels singing)....tried a 08-038 in a tele of mine last month and absolutely loved it...
    My advice:
    You want the best TWANG sound?
    Go LIGHT....

6. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

10s because I've used them forever.

tonedr, Ricky D., Bob M and 3 others like this.
  7. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

i think given the fact that 10s are the most popular gauge, they should cut the nut at the factory for those. you can usually go lighter with no problems, but slapping thicker on a nut not cut for it usually presents issues. it's probably a combo of: a time-saving measure, targeting newer players who don't want something so heavy, and the fact ultralight was the trend for so long.

8. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

As a rule I run 10s on the shorter scales(Gibby) and 9s on the longer scales(Fender) to even out the tension and bend-ability across my collection.

9. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Holic

I use them on everything now. I played 9's forever, then I played 10's forever, and now I've circled back around.

Maguchi and bluesguy62 like this.
  10. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My Affinity Squier Tele came with 9’s, and by sheer luck, it had the lowest, best set-up of all of my guitars out of the box. It’s so easy for me to play that it’s become my #2 guitar. I’m probably going to try 9’s on the others in the near future. I’m still working on not pressing down so hard on the fret board and the lighter strings seem to help in developing my muscle memory.

11. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

I use 10s on everything
    Really , just use what you like , its all good
    I use 10´s because they still bend easy enough for me , and with my hamfisted "technique" I tend to pull lighter strings out of tune

Lance Morgan, bluesguy62 and bls82261 like this.
  12. stonetone7

stonetone7 Tele-Meister

Almost the same experience here: After I got my first Les Paul in March, which I had set up with 9s due to some Internet influencing, I eventually switched to 9s on both my Tele and Strat.

I haven’t noticed much of a difference with sound, but it’s done wonders for the playability of both. I’ve had to learn to tone down my right hand, particularly with the Strat. The Tele still responds to a harder attack, but to a slightly lesser degree.

Maguchi and bluesguy62 like this.
  13. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I think I've landed on the Stringjoy Broadways with 9's on the high strings but a little heavier on the lows. I tried all the way down to 8's, and I liked it, but a little too flimsy when I'm doing rhythm work. If I need to do some hard hitting downstroke 8th notes they just don't do the trick. I just got my first Gibson style guitar (an '89 Greco SG copy) that right now seems to like the same gauge, but I do need to take it in for a setup.

bluesguy62 likes this.
  14. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Holic

I have 9's on all my guitars except one which has 8.5's just for something different. Mr. weak hands here. Tried 8's but a tad too slinky. Install what you like, not what someone else likes.

Maguchi, unfamous and bluesguy62 like this.
  15. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

I’ve used 9’s on both Tele & Strat since some time in the mid 80’s. No problems with intonation, tuning or tone.
    Demanded a little more precise fingering & and a delicate touch, neither of which were a bad thing for me.

bluesguy62 and aadvark like this.
  16. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I used 11’s and 12’s for years because...Tone? SRV? Machismo?

I don’t know, I just did.

Had an epiphany and switched to 9’s (on my Fenders) and 10’s (on Gibson scale and my G&L, which doesn’t like 9’s for some reason) and life improved...

I played faster and better and with less effort, and by tweaking some settings on the pedals and amp, didn’t lose any tone at all...

So, yes, 9’s on a Tele are fine.

bluesguy62, aadvark and gregulator450 like this.
  17. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

Don't forget about 9.5-44s either, that's what I use on my Tele and my s-type G&L.

On a couple guitars that see a lot of power chords I now use a hybrid set Ernie Ball offers with size plains and 10 sized wounds, so a 9.5-46 set, up from the more typical 9-46 hybrid.

18. jayroc1

jayroc1 Tele-Meister

I do a hybrid set 52 42 32 16 13 9. I like having a thicker lower strings for power chords and then lighten up the higher strings for bending

Frank Roberts and bluesguy62 like this.
  19. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Afflicted

I'm at 9-46 on my Tele, like almost all my 25.5 scale length guitars.

guitdog1, cjp60, Thorne and 2 others like this.
  20. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

Spend the $5 and give the 9's a try. Sweetwater and MF have free-shipping, too. Only YOU can decide. I have 9's (D'Ad EXL120) on my Nashville Tele and they feel and play great. But I play it only in standard tuning. Alt or dropped tunings, if you are into that, may require heavier strings.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.