000 Martin?

pope858

TDPRI Member
Yes, I see the RW back and sides. The 21 in Martin's world denotes the "style" of guitar. It appears that your guitar was ordered in the style 21, but in a 00 sized, 14 fret body. As for the ebony fret board and bridge, Martin Changed the spec on the OM-21 from rosewood to ebony around the time indicated (2012). It appears that the custom aspects of your guitar comprises build and features (dovetail neck, scalloped bracing, purfling type, etc) in the style 21 with a short scale neck and 00 sized body. A cool combination leaning toward older, more vintage specs. Martin 00's are great guitars; I'm sure your custom is a real good one!

DougM

Poster Extraordinaire

lewis

Poster Extraordinaire
View attachment 932277 I’ve got a OOO-16SGT that I bought new in 1990. It was the best sounding guitar in the place at the time and 20+ years of playing has really improved it. The guitar has a well balanced sound and it’s really comfortable to play.

I have this exact guitar. I play it more than my HD-28V. It gets a little muddy with a hard strum compared to its big brother but any 15-style Martin is a good investment.

Freeman Keller

Poster Extraordinaire
ok, sorry, I never heard that before. In Martin traditional nomenclature an OM was a 000 with a longer scale length. But, in custom models I guess that isn't always the case. I stand corrected.

There are two models of triple oughts - 12 fret and 14 fret (clear of the body). 14 fretters are basically the same size and shape body as an OM, but are (mostly) short scale. 12 fret 000's are (mostly long scale), but the bridge is moved and bracing is changed a bit.

I have built both following plans taken from different Martins, I believe they are more or less representative. OM is on the left, 000 on the right

IMG_4478-3.jpg

Martin has not been totally consistent with their nomenclature, this is a good summary from the UMGF

https://umgf.com/000-vs-om-t5309.html

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
There are two models of triple oughts - 12 fret and 14 fret (clear of the body). 14 fretters are basically the same size and shape body as an OM, but are (mostly) short scale. 12 fret 000's are (mostly long scale), but the bridge is moved and bracing is changed a bit.

I have built both following plans taken from different Martins, I believe they are more or less representative. OM is on the left, 000 on the right

View attachment 933444

Martin has not been totally consistent with their nomenclature, this is a good summary from the UMGF

https://umgf.com/000-vs-om-t5309.html

I also believe most of the 12-fret, slot-head models have the slope shoulder body as well. Couldn't say why - perhaps for better upper-fret access??

Freeman Keller

Poster Extraordinaire
I also believe most of the 12-fret, slot-head models have the slope shoulder body as well. Couldn't say why - perhaps for better upper-fret access??

12 fret guitars are a hold over from the general shape of classical guitars, all of which have more rounded upper bouts. I once heard someone describe how Martin made the shift to 14 fret guitars - dreads and OM's - he said they didn't really move the neck down into the guitar but rather pushed the shoulders down to the 12th fret. It was Perry Bechtel who asked martin for more access to the upper fretboard (wasn't he a banjo player or something) and up popped the OM

Last edited:

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
12 fret guitars are a hold over from the general shape of classical guitars, all of which have more rounded upper bouts. I once heard someone describe how Martin made the shift to 14 fret guitars - dreads and OM's - he said they didn't really move the neck down into the guitar but rather pushed the shoulders down to the 12th fret. It was Perry Bechtel who asked martin for more access to the upper fretboard (wasn't he a banjo player or something) and up popped the OM

That makes sense. Who'dathunk 14-fret necks would ever be popular? Steel strings as well!!

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
The 17 series is lightly built with a thin finish. Great for sound, but not my first choice for a patio guitar. I've heard a recording of a 000-16 with grendillo and it sounded really good. Maybe worth checking out.

Buckocaster51

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ad Free Member
The linked Martin spec sheet for my OM21 says that it is a 00. https://www.dropbox.com/s/ex58llhvcoy5xii/Martin guitar specifications.pdf?dl=0
Because it is a custom shop model it has some ebony features.

I once had a sit-down meal with Mike Longworth, the one-time pearl-inlay artist, customer relation guy, and historian at C.F. Martin. At the time he was no-longer with the company. He was very much a basic model guy. Ds, OOOs, OOs, Os, with set and standard ornamentation: styles, 15, 18, 28, 41, 45. He expressed his disgust with the "kids" who were now running the company. Making models that just didn't follow the traditional scheme. WD-40QED, and things like that. What exactly do those designations mean? He was upset to say the least.

There is no disputing that your build sheet says it is an OM-21 that is 00 size. Can't argue with that.

But like Mr. Longworth, I don't have to like it. (my tongue is firmly in cheek)

It is interesting that some companies, Collings and Santa Cruz come to mind, follow Martin's nomenclature standards more closely than Martin. ;)

haggardfan1

Friend of Leo's
I am looking for a 000 Martin and have three guitars I plan to trade towards that end.

Yesterday I was in the local music store, and played a 000X2E. I really liked it, but I want to play some others before I make a decision.

Do all Martin a/e have the controls hidden in top of the sound hole? I just wonder about the durability of such a setup: there has to be glue involved right?

Danjabellza

Friend of Leo's
I played an OME cherry a while back, absolutely phenomenal. I really messed up though, cuz there’s no way I can swing the cash for it any time soon, and that the lowest end of the US made Martin OM’s. A buddy has the 000 street master, another beautiful awesome guitar. A little more affordable but I would miss that longer scale.

Freeman Keller

Poster Extraordinaire
I am looking for a 000 Martin and have three guitars I plan to trade towards that end.

Yesterday I was in the local music store, and played a 000X2E. I really liked it, but I want to play some others before I make a decision.

Do all Martin a/e have the controls hidden in top of the sound hole? I just wonder about the durability of such a setup: there has to be glue involved right?

Most Martins with electronics in the sound hole are mounted with double stick tape. Once in a while the tape comes loose but its pretty rare for factory installed preamps too loosen. A little heat will help if you ever do want to remove it. That actually is a nice feature because finding replacements for old barn door electronics installed in the side can be problematic.

One other thing to consider is buying a guitar without a pickup and installing a passive one such as the K&K pure mini.

Play everything you can, there are lots of differences between various models and individual guitars.