000-15m streetmaster (OM?)

Danjabellza

Friend of Leo's
So, the other Martin 000 thread got me thinking about the OM I played and loved. And the 000-15m streetmaster that I also really enjoyed, and I started looking around. I saw someone listed the scale of the 000-sm as 25.4” and I thought “that can’t be right” and started looking around more and sure enough, even Martin has the scale listed at 25.4”

Now I’m no expert, but isn’t the scale length the only difference between a 000 and an OM? The 000 should be 24.9” and the OM 25.4”

What else am I missing? Are there other differences I’m unaware of? Is it Just marketing? 000 name sells better, but more players like the longer scale? Idk.

Freeman Keller

Poster Extraordinaire
I posted this in the other discussion

https://umgf.com/000-vs-om-t5309.html

Here is another from the UMGF FAQ

https://umgf.com/000-28ec-and-om-28v-comparison-t5321.html

Short story, MOST of the time an OM is long scale, a 14 fret 000 is short or long depending on the series and other things. Most 12 fret 000's are long scale. Martin is not consistent and frankly I can't tell you what the streetmaster is. Bracing seems to vary too - scale length will move things around inside. I would go by whatever Martin says at their web site and of course you can measure one when you play it.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
There is also usually a pickguard difference as well.

But those generalizations went by the wayside over the last 20 years with the introduction of 15 and 16 series as well as a deluge of special runs, etc.

black_doug

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Here is what is.

13D7048C-66B1-4A0A-A736-35E847A7725A.jpeg

captain_jack

Tele-Meister
I also hang out at an acoustic guitar forum and this question comes up over there semi-regularly. The answer I've seen is that the 000 vs OM scale length rule only applies to the Standard Series models, so there is some inconsistency in other lines (tho the 16 and 17 series 000's both list a 24.9" scale length in the spec sheet, so :shrugs:?). I don't actually own a Martin so can't vouch for anything beyond what I've heard.

Freeman Keller

Poster Extraordinaire
25 5/8” at the bass side… lol what is happening?

As Bottlenecker said, the uncompensated scale is 25.4, then add about 1/16 compensation to the high E and 3/16 to the low. Then do the little B string trick, push the G to the front of the saddle and low E to the back. The scale is just the starting point but the 12th fret should be at half the scale.

Freeman Keller

Poster Extraordinaire
And at the end of the day, does it really matter?

It matters to someone like me who builds guitars and thinks that scale length is one of those factors that helps to determine a guitar's voice. For the player it should matter a wit - you like the sound of a guitar or you don't. A few people can tell the feel, many of us adapt to different scales (and all the other factors). In the end it matters if you want it to.

teletimetx

Doctor of Teleocity
It matters to someone like me who builds guitars and thinks that scale length is one of those factors that helps to determine a guitar's voice. For the player it should matter a wit - you like the sound of a guitar or you don't. A few people can tell the feel, many of us adapt to different scales (and all the other factors). In the end it matters if you want it to.

I certainly get it from the building perspective. I just don’t get the obsession of this kind of detail from a playing perspective, although I do understand there are a few people with special needs.

I have a friend in the Kansas City area whose fingers are at least 1/2” shorter than mine - his finger tips barely reach to the crease where my last joint starts - and he can handle a 25.5” scale with no problems.

I play instruments with a wide variety of scales. The actual length is not really a concern- more the sound and the set-up of the neck, etc. But my criteria is just that- everyone is free to obsess over whatever details they choose. Different strokes, etc.