“We’re all we’ve got”

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by getbent, Sep 29, 2019.

1. SwampTwang

SwampTwang TDPRI Member

Suh-weet bass!

2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I could readily identify on a much smaller scale with Roy. When I hauled heavy equipment, regularly hauling loads of over 130,000 pounds up to 225,000 pounds if you let your emotions get in the way, you would die, it was that simple. Forget to do something you die, have bad luck, you die. Living with that creates a sort of detachment, and viewing things going on around you slowed down because your mind is speeded up, that if you haven't experienced, is impossible to describe.

3. electrichead

electrichead TDPRI Member

Whenever I read a book I will read the first chapter and then skip to the last 10 pages or so.
    Got into that habit reading Stephen King books,kind of clues you into what to look for reading the entire book..

getbent likes this.
  4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Leaving the house to see a movie???

Cozmik!

5. telemnemonics

I'm pretty open minded WRT choosing a movie to discard two more hours of life into, but watching Matt mumble to himselfie (in my limited presumption) for two hours doesn't demand enough suspension of belief for my amusement investment.

Torren61 likes this.
  6. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Afflicted

Now THAT right there is the LAST d@mned straw!

getbent likes this.
  7. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

there is irony in this post.

8. getbent

spoiler alert!!!: you may not have even known that Santa was excited... much less... well, you know.

P-Nutz likes this.
  9. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Besides comic book movies, most younglenials don’t attend movies on their own.

And if they do They ain’t going to go see the old man with a gun or book club or some movie with Diane Keaton.

Lotta spoilers in this thread. But then again when somebody tipped me off that it was about space it saved me the disappointment I’d have felt if I discovered that When i got in the theater.

And, no other intelligent life out there ?

yeah, the vanity of earthlings :lol::lol::lol:

Wasn’t there a Chris Pratt (?) movie where he was in a suspended animation pod with a bunch of other people and they were hurtling through space toward somewhere and his pod popped open and instead of being alone for years he opened the pod of a hot broad ? Well could you blame him ?

I feel I would insult my own tenuous intelligence if I even stated an opinion on that movie...

But I kinda liked half of it… D’oh ! :confused:

E5RSY likes this.
  10. telemnemonics

Irony and metaphor are the only communication tools I know how to use, and, of course, they never work for the intended purpose.

11. telemnemonics

...of course...

Intention is also a tool, but only in the spiritual realm.
    Music enters the spiritual realm in its best moments, and there intention combined with surrender to the music may work for any willing to suspend belief.

Yet belief is the only way anything works in the spiritual realm...

12. getbent

that movie was kind of about selfishness... so, at least in reading the critics of this thread (spoiler alert!!) I can identify as I am, apparently, a selfish bastid.... I find it liberating... I don't have to guess anymore!

I don't know my Chris' apart, but I saw that movie... it was okay. But there are no Chris' in the same league with MM, BP & MD... so, I would not make the comparison.

I have 3 young people in the category you describe and can attest that your assertion is not correct (at least outside the rust belt.)

Those who rely on plot twists to 'make the movie' are not usually super great at 'getting things' in general... like guitar, it is not the note, it is the note or the absence of the note in context with the other notes that either make it or not.

I have read (spoiler alert!!) that there is a film in the works 'The Beatles in Space'... it will be about the boys from liverpool (whoops, spoiler, they are not ALL from Liverpool) going into space and meeting cheering aliens who cannot believe how great those moptops are... you will love it.

13. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

What you say reminds me a bit of the movie Detachment with Adrien Brody. A beautiful film that I recommend if you haven't watched it already.

getbent and Toto'sDad like this.
  14. electrichead

electrichead TDPRI Member

Wasn’t there a Chris Pratt (?) movie where he was in a suspended animation pod with a bunch of other people and they were hurtling through space toward somewhere and his pod popped open and instead of being alone for years he opened the pod of a hot broad ? Well could you blame him ?

Why yes I can.
    Why did he stop with just one hot babe??

He could have opened 3 or 4 pods ....

15. Mike Eskimo

I got seven sisters, I know why he didn’t open more than one pod…

electrichead likes this.
  16. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

Some of the movie was well researched and authentic. They didn't overdo some elements of technology, and the camera work was good, direction, etc. However, it did wander. And, the ending was really weak. "Daddy issues" is about right - I felt a little cheated having endured the whole movie, to be juked at the end. And then to dismiss all space exploration, all non-Earth existence as less significant, was downright offensive. As bad, was the silly suggestion that we would draw that conclusion, without even leaving the solar system - major fail in technical consulting and the basic plot punch line. As far as the writer and the basic plot, its our immeasurably small spec planet and existence that is less significant compared to the immensity of the galaxy, much less the universe. No amount of fiction can override that overwhelming fact that drives all science fiction, and a lot of science.

17. getbent

the real movie is that he did... they just left out the ugly bit... which (especially now) would have cause an outcry... Charlton Heston MIGHT have been able to pull it off... but not a 'chris'....

See, I didn't mention 'A Boy and His Dog' either... because, well Don Johnson is like Tom Selleck.. small screen only.

electrichead likes this.
  18. Mike Eskimo

Quigley Down Under ?!

Yeah - he sucked in that.

Him doing scenes with the great Alan Rickman...:lol::lol::lol:

getbent likes this.
  19. getbent

you mean the part where a pillow and blanket combo was 120.00?

The point of going to Neptune (which if they had any... uh.. 'guts' at all) they would have circled uranus, but, well, okay... anyway, the point was that at that spot, they would be able to 'see' what the rest of the universe had to offer without the glare of the sun (no Camus jokes here)

I actually liked the idea that we would have to conclude 'we're alone'... I think that is powerful and kind of brave and not self centered (is selfishness ubiquitous? if so, does it define 'bad lover' or what?)

My phone and computer have been listening and I was fed an article yesterday that suggests NASA is getting ready to release information that confirms that life DID exist on Mars. Apparently, the fear has been that 'we' (as if) are not quite ready for that news.

I read the article to my son (while we also fiercely watched our fantasy football league results) and then a followup article that suggests that 3 billion years ago Venus WOULD have been habitable....

My son's response, with wry smile was, wouldn't it be interesting if we uncovered a history of life on all these planets that reached about our situation and in each, all the planets ignored the same stuff and all of them died off the same way... and we both roared... and I added... each planet sent off a few people to a new habitable planet where they promptly made the exact same mistakes.... and we laughed again....

So, I'd differ with you that, like the Hubble only a million times moreso, they could see enough from Neptune to make a conclusion (with a small percent for error) similar to my fantasy football score where I have a 99% chance of winning this week although my opponent has a receiver for Cincy yet to play.

20. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

One merely has to not look, to fulfill a belief that something is not there. peering from the edge of the solar system, is like me looking thru this thread at your fridge, and concluding my favorite beverage isn't there. See, I'm right?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.