“Tommy” the ending.....

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Tomm Williams, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Afflicted

I had not viewed this movie in years and put it on last night to watch again.
    I enjoy rock- based movies anyway so every once in awhile throw in Spinal Tap, Help, etc......

Now I realize much of what goes on in Tommy can get abstract but it’s the ending I’m having difficulty resolving. What are everyone’s thoughts as to the kids rioting at the end, killing Tommy’s mother and stepfather (hurting Tommy in the process) and Tommy then being free. It seemed an odd way to wrap it up to me????

I get why they’d want to kill the stepfather (total tool) but his mom seemed to be doing the best she could for a screwed up person

Yeah...... I have too much time on my hands this morning :lol:

2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't think we're talking about this Tommy.

RodeoTex and Chunkocaster like this.
  3. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I haven't watched it for decades and cant remember the end. I enjoy playing the pinball machine though but its also been decades since i've seen one. Id like the pinball machine for my home studio. I searched for one about 19 years ago but had to make do with a charlies angels machine.

4. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Just a heads up : listen to The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, read the story in the liner notes and come back here and explain it.

Tommy will seem like a Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew story after that mess.

Both great records , though they fall apart as anything that makes a lick of sense...

Concept records : The logical end product of combining a pen, a pad of paper, a guitar, and a mound of cocaine (sheets of blotter in the Beatles case)

5. soul-o

soul-o Friend of Leo's

Well, the thing is that the narrative kind of dissipates on the actual Tommy album and then you add Ken Russell as director and things get really loose on the story telling front. The main thing is Ann Margaret rolling around in baked beans.

Skydog1010, elihu and Tomm Williams like this.
  6. nvilletele

nvilletele Friend of Leo's

Listen to the album, forget the movie.

In the album, the mother and (now returned) father kill the stepfather.

dogmeat and Tomm Williams like this.
  7. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Holic

I dont remember the ending either. But I suspect Ken Russell is reason enough.

MisterZ likes this.
  8. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

In the film, and Townshend talks about it at the time, the ending is about kids deconstructing or destroying their idols. The trajectory goes like this;

A thing or person is found and is novel at the time, it becomes deified (think our current celebrity culture). In that process stake holders manipulate and promote this thing or person. The individual then becomes trapped within their own celebrity or deified status until a crisis challenges this paradigm. The deified individual is then set upon by the following masses and is attacked by the followers as being a charlatan when he or it can no longer satisfy the masses ideals. Their status now being stripped away from them, this person is no longer burdened with the image and is able to seek their own truth and thus is liberated. It's kind of like Hegel's/ Marx's dialectic process.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  9. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

I never saw the movie and forgot about it completely until I read this. Maybe I’ll look for it on Netflix and not watch it

10. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

anytime you kill the parents... you are probably on the right track to enthrall a young audience.

11. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Love that scene and movie but if you watch in the background, just before Call first kicks the guy you'll see a crewman standing there in white tshirt and green shorts.

"I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. "

Toto'sDad and getbent like this.
  12. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

Honestly?
    The movie is a load of old cobblers!
    Listen to the album, and forget this Ken Russell, overblown w*nkfest!

Tomm Williams likes this.
  13. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

It's good eyes you have there. I'll have to look at my copy of the scene on my TV it probably is much easier to see. He's not there long, and steps behind one of the dressed for the part players in the scene. ( I couldn't tell but I hope they were cargo shorts, and that his shirt was bumnched properly)

RodeoTex likes this.
  14. Jim622

Jim622 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I didn’t catch that, but it doesn’t seem that important 5 decades later

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.