1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

“The Plan” ??? Before you start.

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by Pineears, Feb 8, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

I’m in the DAW adding reverb everywhere I decreased it. Seems a waste of effort. Probably cause my preference is low for reverb. I probably had a touch too much reverb on drums at the start.

2. aadvark

aadvark Tele-Meister

if it's for guitar and the amp has a good spring reverb, I'd just get a nice appropriate amp sound and go with that.

For a good room effect one of the free ones should be able to handle it....

or you can always do what we did in the old days and record in the bathroom or send the signal into the stairwell! sounds laborious now that I mention !

3. aadvark

aadvark Tele-Meister

re. reverb... I generally use amps with springs for guitar - but don't overdo it, and then usually just have one or two stereo auxiliary channels set up to send as much as little 'room' as I want post tracking.

4. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

I like to have a couple of channels active when recording vocals, one with some comp and EQ and another raw, so doing parallel recording

I also run Waves Tune Mono at the start of the chain, because our old voices are a bit like the old grey mare they ain't what they used to be ;)

studio likes this.
  5. Buckaroo65

Buckaroo65 Tele-Holic

This thing is good, you can record one track with reverb, and the second one dry and decide what to do with them when you're mixing.

studio likes this.
  6. Buckaroo65

Buckaroo65 Tele-Holic

upload_2021-2-14_11-30-11.jpeg ,oops, forgot the picture...

7. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

Just starting guitar tracks. The “plan” is... The Vintage Sound V15 has a reverb upgrade over the typical Princeton Reverb. Use it but not too much. Mic is a Sennheiser e906.
    F2F6B141-F2DD-4E3A-B2AC-5FDF3B38D34A.jpeg

studio, matman14 and FortyEight like this.
  8. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

Wow!! Cranked all the way up to 3.

studio likes this.
  9. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

For me, I have a firm rhythm guitar part with singing worked over. I usually work on lead guitar lines and bass lines ahead of time too. BUT, I'm not doing the drums so either of those are subject to change once the drummer puts his parts on. Most of the time I'm tracking the rhythm guitar and vocals to a click and sending it to my drummer. One song I had the bass line that I wanted regardless of how he was gonna do the drums... So I then put on the guitars also plus vocals before sending it to him. That one was basically done on my end before sending it. I don't really love that way of doing it cuz I want the bass to be closely tied to the drums. And I usually write on my guitar. I have written songs on my bass before though.

That's how I do it. But no covers yet. Just originals. We plan to do Little St Nick for Christmas of 2021.

Pineears likes this.
  10. matman14

matman14 Tele-Meister

Cool amp. I'd definitely get some reverb from the amp itself. It's kind of the sound those type of amps are known for and it won't be the same trying to get it after the speaker (post recording).

I find it fills out the sound of the amp. Even when I don't want reverb from the Princeton in my little studio, I dial some in so you can't really hear it but you notice when it's not there. To me it just doesn't sound like a Princeton otherwise.

How do you like the e906?

studio likes this.
  11. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

Better than the sm57 that’s in a drawer somewhere. Mic is into an XR18 mixer where I use a Sansamp effect with Fenderish settings. So a touch of Princeton simulation is applied.

12. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

PLANNING MISTAKE : once I worked out the improved guitar lead it didn’t fit the tracks I had finished.

Skully likes this.
  13. loudboy

loudboy Tele-Meister

I've had several bands in that recorded basic tracks and left out big parts of the arrangement, like a solo or a verse.

Buckaroo65 and Pineears like this.
  14. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

One has to think differently in the DAW realm. Recording can be practice. The demo is and the final mix are part of the same recording. Recording can be songwriting. You can change anything at any time.

There's a good article about Billie Eilish's home recording process with her brother Finneas O'Connell in Sound On Sound. Don't worry if you're not a fan of Eilish. Just read it. "I'm a big fan of doing a lot of takes! I just play a part until it is right, even if it is a MIDI part," says O'Connell. "I think of that as my rehearsal. After playing a tricky part for hours, I am a better player!"

Planning? Eh... If you're working with a band, planning is definitely important. And I might pooh-pooh planning because I have established habits and techniques I might not even think about. But I think it's more important to think about it as process of discovery. Then again, you say you're recording a cover. But, then again again, you might not want to be uber-faithful to the original, for multiple reasons. One, you probably can't pull it off. Two, if you did, how interesting would that be?

I think the most important part of the planning process is figuring out the tempo. If you're only working with MIDI, it can be changed at any time, but if you're laying down audio, it's not so easy. I understand that you can do a tempo change to a project with audio files, but I've never attempted it.

FortyEight likes this.
  15. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

I've been doing more like Skully says lately. I have had less time to prepare before hand so I'm ending up doing more takes on my guitar parts mostly. I still pretty much know what I'm gonna play before I go in though. But I can totally see how just getting ideas down is a really good way to go. Only thing is I end up with more tracks in the song that I leave there cuz I may need something from it..... So it's a bit more busy to scroll through more tracks when mixing. Good thing is I learned how to title each track now. LOL. That was just something i figured out in the last month or so. LOL.

Skully likes this.
  16. Skully

I'll spend hours working on a guitar part that sounds great in that portion of the track, but doesn't work for the song. And, frequently, I'll work out not-too-complicated lead lines that are still too complicated for the song, in spite of my limited ability, and I end up having to make them simpler and more repetitive.

This week, I was at the "almost done" stage in recording when I decided -- rightly -- that the synth figure that opened the song (as well as inspired it and, in the early stages, ran through its entirety) did not work and had to be replaced because it no longer transitioned well into the first verse. I spent hours and hours creating a variety of new intros before I got the idea to put the new bassline from the first verse under the second half of a now-extended intro, which enabled me to retain the original synth line. It's all about failing over and over and over again before, hopefully, arriving at something that works.

FortyEight likes this.
  17. Skully

Oh... and one spot where better planning might've helped... I came this close to seeing if I could move the pitch of the entire song up half a step without creating glaring audio transients because the key was not in the sweet spot for my voice. I was hitting the notes, but I felt the vocal sounded dull. Fortunately, I was able to record some new vocals that convinced me -- perhaps wrongly -- that I was not sounding dull.

FortyEight likes this.
  18. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

yes......, I recently started recording a song that I changed from D to E for vocal reasons. I didn’t like how the guitar sounded so I quit and started another song.

Skully and studio like this.
  19. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

I change keys a lot. But thankfully it's not usually after I start recording. LOL. I just recently changed on to whole step down. From Gmajor to Fmajor. Plus the chorus was a lot like a few other songs in structure and even though it sounded a lot different, it bugged the heck out of me so I experimented with some other chords and now I like it better.

But for a bit I was like OH NO... I'm such a [email protected]#$. Using the same chord progression in a different key as another song. But then I'm glad I figured that out cuz I can be more cogniscent of that in the future, which I usually am. I try to change it up in keys and chord structures. But I think I have natural tendencies with rhythms and such.

That being said, sometimes it's just really hard to come up with something "new". I mean.... I sometimes feel like everything has been done and what's the point. The only thing different is possibly the message you're singing, since it's personal....

Anyways.... I'm rambling. Sorry.

suthol and Skully like this.
  20. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I’m halfway in the process of creating an arrangement of Won’t Get Fooled Again. I’ve got a good drum part with fills, breaks etc and a passable synth track including the intro and interlude. I had to decide what I’d leave out.
    Next I’ll do the guide track with an acoustic and vocal. I’ll also have to a rough main electric guitar part because of Townshend’s many rhythm variations in both the acoustic and electric parts.
    I’ll do the bass next then redo the acoustic guitar.
    I’ll add the secondary electric fills etc before doing the backing vocals.
    It’s just over 250 measures and almost 8 minutes.
    I should’ve done a little more planning before I started this project. I’ve had several starts and stops but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.