1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

“Shut up and play, or let it lay?”

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LGOberean, Oct 12, 2020.

“Shut up and play, or let it lay?”

Poll closed Oct 26, 2020.
  1. Shut up and play

23 vote(s)
    76.7%
  2. Let it lay

7 vote(s)
    23.3%
  1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I’m torn between two options, and I’d like y’all to give me your input. Three months ago I created a YouTube video demo/review of my Logan Custom Firecaster II. The video has been up on my channel for those three months, and it’s received 94 views. It is more than sixteen minutes long.

Its length is something of an embarrassment to me. And most of that length is me talking. Like the first ten minutes or so. A good deal of that verbosity was taken up by my explaining the history and construction of my “Firecaster” tele, then from the headstock down detailing the guitar’s specs. What makes that even more embarrassing is I explained all that in the written description to the YT video. :oops:

So I’m contemplating redoing the video. I could make passing reference to the meaning and history of my “Firecaster,” as well as the specs being in the description, then get on with the playing/demo/review. At the very least, that approach would cut the video’s length in half.

But…

As I said, the video has been on my channel for three months now, and it’s been viewed 94 times. It’s also received 5 “Likes.” I have 29 subscribers. Those aren’t impressive numbers, I know. I established my YT channel in the first place at my wife’s insistence and with her help. (Techno-challenged person, here.) I do not expect to get a ton of subscribers or a gazillion “Likes” to my uploaded videos. I have the channel primarily for my own purposes, and secondarily for the few friends and family that care.

So, I readily admit that in the grand scheme of things, this isn’t important. Not that many people will be affected by a change, if I even make one. My question, then, is “Shut up and play, or let it lay?” Your vote/input on this will be much appreciated.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  2. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Anything that doesn't get to the point in the first 30 seconds means I often go away. So you may have 94 views , but 90% of them may be 10 second looks.
    Yeah, shorten down to the nuts and bolts.

3. KATT

KATT Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I say move onto the next demo review video. You can improve the next one!

4. Tarkus60

Tarkus60 Tele-Meister

Can you post a link?

tery and boneyguy like this.
  5. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Afflicted

Sorry, this is NOT directed at the OP, I never looked at his video, I'm just ranting in general...

I cannot stand excess verbosity in YT demos.... on ANY subject.

Just get ON with it already...

Sooo many yada yada yada blah blah blah idiots on YT.
    Seriously?
    Are you so full of yourself to yammer on and on and you think I'm interested in your inane blathering?
    Spare me.

An example of a good demo/review videos is pretty much anything from "Project Farm"
    He talks fast and gets to the point. All meat & potatoes, nothing you don't need.
    THAT'S how it's done children!

Rant over....

6. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

Should be 95 views and 6 likes now, anyway.

The first two minutes aren't doing you any favors. As Schmee said, YT videos need to get to the point quickly. Then they need to continue making points to hold the viewer.

I think editing this video is the right thing to do for two reasons. First, this video will get better. Second, you'll get better at making editorial decisions and spotting what should be thrown away versus what should be kept and emphasized. Set yourself a goal of cutting it by 25%, then 50%, and compare the versions. The first 20 years of my career were as an editor (of words, not videos). Throwing material away is hard, but cutting something down to what's really important always makes the product better.

I'll add that I do like talking in gear videos. I seldom bother anymore with videos that are just someone "demonstrating" a new amp or pedal or guitar without context or commentary. I want to hear opinions and stories. But as with dental visits and skirts, shorter is better.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
    Moriarty, pixeljammer and LGOberean like this.
  7. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I've haven't watched the OP's video, but I might add that during a video of Vince Gill at a live concert I grew a pretty decent beard waiting for him to finish his intro to the song he was going to do. I now know about the issues of his life beginning with when they boiled the water at birth, his first shave, losing his virginity, his failed marriage, divorce, subsequent marrying again, and what size underwear he has worn down through the ages. This actually was a brief synapses.

8. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

same here, i would rather hear the gear. i like short answers when i ask precise questions.

LAPlayer and LGOberean like this.
  9. carpenter

carpenter Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I watched .I agree nuts and bolts and play. Nice flow that way.

10. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Holic

Sixteen minutes is too long - you're right. Seven minutes is the max length people will put up with, and that's with concisely-presented, informative content.

Pick the 5 main points you want to make and write your presentation out so you won't be wasting words and stumbling. Always lead with your main point in the first two sentences of each section and then elaborate.

Your idea of putting the minute details in the description is a good one - if your video is effective and draws people in, they can get more info below.

Kudos for putting it out there. Most of us just sit back and tell people like you what you did wrong...

The Angle, Jake Nelson and LGOberean like this.
  11. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Post a link please.

I think if you want to include some guitar specs that's fine but DON'T begin with that. Imbed that later on. I think most of us click on a vid to hear the guitar being played and if that doesn't happen very quickly then we lose interest. So, lead off with no talk....absolutely no talking....video starts...you are playing (NO TALK!!)....then after a goodly amount of playing you can take a minute or two to give some specs/details etc (but keep it brief, you're not a guitar salesman).....finish with more playing. I think that's a pretty sound template to follow.

LGOberean likes this.
  12. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

What you could have done is maybe put a little distortion on it at some point and switch the pick ups like you did on the clean sound.
    If i were you, i wouldn't worry much about the suscribing or the likes or things like that.
    It still cool that people take time to talk a bit on youtube. If i had needed a firecaster, i would probably have listened to the whole thing.

LGOberean and gregulator450 like this.
  13. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I would say leave your original video as is and make improvements on the next one. In hindsight, maybe you could have just gone straight to playing, kept the video short, and told viewers to leave a comment to let you know if they want to hear about the build. Then you can make a video that is more verbose when the viewers tell you they want it.

EDIT: you have another sub now. Quite enjoying your rendition of the Hendrix songs, and I'll dig in to the 16-minute video next.

I have to agree with the previous poster who said videos should not be more than about seven minutes long. Unless it's a piece of a podcast, a live performance, or a detailed tutorial on how to build something that I really want to build, I have to talk myself into clicking a video longer than seven minutes.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    LGOberean likes this.
  14. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

i don't understand what the poll choices actually mean. Does either of the mean re-do a short video?

15. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

When watching posts on YouTube, I like to see postings that get to the point and are usually tightly scripted.
    It usually doesn't take me long to figure out if the person making the presentation knows what they're talking about or not. Good luck with your efforts.

LGOberean likes this.
  16. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Agreed. If I was looking to purchase a firecaster, I would gladly click on a 16-minute video about it.

LGOberean and johnny k like this.
  17. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

Unless you’re VERY entertaining AND you’re talking about something that I’m EXTREMELY interested in, I’m not suffering through ten minutes of discussion about anything.

Play the instrument/effect/amp/whatever, then talk about it. I’ll listen if I’m still interested after hearing it.

The only exception might be a historical/famous instrument (SRV’s “First Wife”, Peter Green’s Les Paul, Keef’s “Macawber”, etc.)...I might listen to a story about how/when/where they acquired it, etc.

18. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Put the music up front! No words!

If the sound impresses someone to the point they wanted to listen to the spoken word, they can do so at the end of the music segment.

Personally? Seeing a video that is 16 minutes long will often stop me from ever hitting the PLAY button.

LGOberean likes this.
  19. LGOberean

I intentionally did not post a link. I wanted replies based principally on principle. :twisted:

And after galaxiex' rant, I'm certainly not inclined to post one now! :eek::oops:

I do appreciate those who found it on their own and took the time give me input based on their watching it.

20. LGOberean

Point taken...but, "synapses"? Is that an "auto co-wrecked" thing?

The "Shut up and play" option was meant to be a vote for "re-do a short video." Evidently, even when I do try to be succinct, I don't communicate well. :oops:

Toto'sDad and ale.istotle like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.