1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

“Rumble” on PBS Independent Lens

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Wally, Dec 22, 2020.

1. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I watched a wonderful documentary last night that dealt with the overlooked influence of Native Americans
    have had in the evolution of music in music here in the United States. As the title hints at, one of those musicians was Link Wray. Another player in the world of ‘rock’ was Jesse Ed Davis, a player whom I have long admired...sadly passed very early. Robbie Robertson is included. In the jazz world, I learned of Mildred Bailey. Tony Bennett was interviewed and shared how he had told Ms. Bailey how much he admired her music and what a huge influence she had on him. Frank .Sinatra was the same....he held her up to be a progenitor. Another she influenced.....BillieHoliday. If she influenced those three, we have to accept that she had a strong voice in jazz singing. if you can catch it, you might find it interesting.
    there is big Telecaster exposure through Robertson and even more strongly with Jesse Ed Davis. Taj Mahal is one speaker....great program, imho.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
  2. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Independent Lens is a great show. I've been amazed by things I watched that I had thought "well, I'll give it a quick look, doesn't sound that interesting..."!
    I missed that last night darn it.

Greggorios and BB like this.
  3. string pull

string pull Tele-Meister

Link Wray

Rocky058, djh22, Wally and 2 others like this.
  4. Pasta Player

Pasta Player Tele-Meister

Great Show!

For as little as a $5.00 per month donation (and ya can cancel whenever) PBS allows you to stream many of their great programs (and some not available to non-subscribers) via their “Passport” option on their streaming channel. (It costs nothing extra.)

RUMBLE is still available in this manner… as well as older episodes of ACL, Ken Burns’s series and many, many other great programs. (Sadly, the great series “Soundbreaking” is now no longer available.) But I’d bet it’ll resurface eventually.

FIVE BUCKS! Beat that.;)

davidchagrin and Wally like this.
  5. natec

natec Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

It's a fantastic documentary. One of those classic riffs that I had never taken the time to learn how to play (that is being remedied...).

It is also available on Amazon Prime for those of you who have access to that venue.

Note* I support public broadcasting as much as possible... only mention the above in case your local PBS affiliate doesn't have it.

6. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Wow, thank you for this. Might’ve missed it.

There was also a short serial doc on PBS called American Roots music years ago (very early 00s) which I ended up buying. In addition to the usual-suspect genres, it spent what I thought was some quality time talking about indigenous music’s contribution to the American musical fabric. Really eye-opening.

Looking forward to this.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  7. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Holic

Just found this on Prime; watching now. Thanks for the heads-up.

Wally likes this.
  8. Toast

Toast Tele-Afflicted

I saw that doc. It was good. I second your recommendation.

Wally likes this.
  9. monkeybanana

monkeybanana Tele-Holic

I'll have to look that up. I watched a little bit of Country on PBS and enjoyed that.

10. Wally

Jesse Ed Davis was a remarkable guitarist who played with a wide variety of his contemporaries and gathered respect from all. Taj Mahal’s early albums are treasures, and Davis was the lead guitarist.

slauson slim, djh22, rjtwangs and 2 others like this.
  11. cenz

cenz Tele-Meister

Jesse Ed Davis. Another guy in my Tommy Bolin “what could have been, but for the [email protected]$&?!g drugs” pool.

That doc was really good though.

slauson slim, Wally and Rockinvet like this.
  12. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

IMO
    Jesse Ed Davis is responsible for 3 or 4 touchstone moments in rock guitar history:

-His slide solo on Taj Mahal's version of Statesboro Blues is what Duane Allman heard to inspire his own

- his literally stinging slide solo/tone on Bob Dylan's " Watching the River Flow" ( just a personal Dylan fave of mine)- you can feel that tone!

- the solo on Jackson Browne's " Dr. My Eyes" - perfect!

- the power of a Tele or Strat plugged into a Princeton Reverb

djh22, elihu, BB and 2 others like this.
  13. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Watched it last night with the missus. I knew only little pieces of some of the stories and none of the majority. Just tremendous

Wally likes this.
  14. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Holic

That was great--I didn't know a lot of that story. I liked the part over the closing credits with the Premier amp and the screwdriver ripping into the little speakers. Maaaybe a little revisionism with the indigenous ladies from NC and their vocal style, but I liked their music, so who cares--I need all of the Blues Power I can get.

I need to listen to more of Taj Mahal's electric stuff--I really have only heard his country blues stuff on compilation albums.

Wally likes this.
  15. Wally

I saw Taj Mahal solo in the Pacific Grove Junior High School auditorium in late ‘71 or early ‘72 while I was at the defense Language Institute in Monterrey, CA. Great show. Sopwith Camel opened the show....”Astronaut Food”.

16. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Thanks for the heads up Wally. Jimmy Page was obviously a fan. This is the best scene from a so so movie. Look how tickled JP is by that IV chord after the tremolo picking double stops.

djh22, elihu and buster poser like this.
  17. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

+1 on Link Wray and Jesse Ed Davis.

Don't forget Lonnie Mack. He had some Native American heritage.

18. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

It's a fantastic documentary!! I watched it probably a year ago I'm guessing...it really floored me with the connection to Native American music. Once they pointed out the rhythmic connection it seemed so obvious. And of course the interaction of African slaves with indigenous people as they describe in the doc just makes sense that there would be that sort of musical cross-pollination. I will watch it again.

buster poser likes this.
  19. Wally

Link Wray....important figure in rock music in that his influence was strong. Jimmy Page has been quoted as say8ng that without Link Wray Page might never have picked up a guitar.
    Here is one from 1971 that I like....

20. Wally

Willie, here is my Premier Super 88.......it does Rumble to a T!

2E3BB50B-2386-479E-A334-EDDF4230BB58.jpeg

in order to get that tone, one depresses only the white paddle on the far right of those five white paddles, which are the tone controls for the instrument channel. So...only high end is going on. Those small speakers work off of a passive crossover. All three of these speakers are Jensen ALnicos. Very, very nice sounding amp it was found in a shed on a farm decorated with a few bird droppings...and dead as a door nail.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.